Hornets 100 @ Cavaliers 104

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by jbbKing James, Feb 22, 2004.

1. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Hornets @ Cavaliers Preview

<div align="center">[​IMG]

Great thing it is a home game for us, so I will say we stand a chance to have a 3 game winning streak, but something just tells me that the Hornets will be too much.

Hornets by 5

<font size="1">Please visit NBA.com</font>

2. KarmaCav

KarmaCav JBB JustBBall Member

Hornets at Cavaliers Preview

<font color="DarkRed"><div align="center">New Orleans Hornets (30-25) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (22-34)</div> </font>

Game Info : 7.00pm EST Mon Feb 23 2004
    TV : NO, FSO

LIKELY LINEPS

<div align="center">Jamaal Magloire vs Zydrunas Ilgauskas</div>
    <div align="center">PJ Brown vs Carlos Boozer</div>
    <div align="center">Jamal Mashburn vs Ira Newble</div>
    <div align="center">Darrell Armstrong vs LeBron James</div>
    <div align="center">Baron Davis vs Jeff McInnis</div>

KEY MATCHUPS

<u>Magloire on Ilgauskas :</u> This is the only real time two legitimate centers go head to head in the Eastern Conference (Wallace and O'Neal are PF's). The 2004 Allstar center vs the 2003 version! Look for Ilgauskas to be pumped against Magloire after being overlooked by the coaches for that contensious backup center position. Jamaal brings a much more physical game to the floor than Z, and will use his explosive power to draw fouls. Magloire is long and will trouble any weak moves to the hoop by Ilgauskas. However Magloire also is foul prone, and if Z can control his backdowns and spins to the basket, he will trouble him.

<u>Jamal Mashburn on Ira Newble :</u>This is definately a lopsided confrontation, but a key one for the Cavaliers to control! Mashburn, although missing a large chunk of the season, has quickly returned to form. Newble has to force Mash to work for his points by playing in his face. Mash can turn the ball over, so the Cavs can get some cheap ball here. It is imperitve that Ira works off the ball in offense, tiring Mash and cutting for some easy buckets.

<u>Darrell Armstrong on LeBron James :</u> LeBron by the end of the night will be sick of the sight of Armstrong. Darrell will be at James all night, looking for one lazy dribble, and then pounce in for the steal. But in saying that, the size advantage here must be taken advantage of. LeBron must look to post up on his smaller defender, and not get stuck into old habits shooting ill advised jumpers! Armstrong has been huge for the Hornets of late, scoring in big bunches. James must stay with him as he can bomb from deep. A big night from Armstrong is expected!

KEY FOR THE CAVALIERS

* Keep Hornets bigs of offensive boards.
    * Force Davis and Mashburn to shoot from range. Limits their effectiveness.
    * Push the ball to Z and Boozer in the post early.
    * James must attack the hoop which will free up easy baskets for Booz and Z.

KEY FOR THE HORNETS

* Attack Z early and try and take him away from the hoop.
    * Armstrong must move off the ball to open areas, as James does lose his man
    * Like Cleveland keeping their bigs off the boards is important.
    * Force the Cavs to shoot jumpers, and make them adjust.

MY OUTLOOK : There are four players out there capable of big numbers. James, Ilgauskas, Davis and Mashburn. Whoever is able to control those players will go along way to winning this ball game. Both are aggressive on the boards and will hurt you with second chance points. Will Davis be hot from the outside? If he is, goodnight. The Cavs have no answer. But if he isn't hitting, some controlled patient post offense can give Cleveland the edge. Both benches are erratic in production, so cancel each other out.

Toss Up!

3. jbbKing James

2 for the price of 1

Now that's a treat [​IMG]

4. KarmaCav

James must take advantage of his size mismatch with Armstrong!

Magloire on Z will be good to watch!

Lets hope Armstrong, Davis, Mash and shammond Williams dont get hot from downtown.

Hornets by 6

BTW KJ : yours looks much prettier! [​IMG]

5. jbbKing James

I am sure the Hornets will try and counter with Augmon and Lynch on James all night. They can't play Armstrong on him, just can't.

No stress bro, glad to have your preview up there with mine [​IMG]

6. KarmaCav

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">I am sure the Hornets will try and counter with Augmon and Lynch on James all night. They can't play Armstrong on him, just can't.

No stress bro, glad to have your preview up there with mine [​IMG]</div>

Thanks KJ

The more Augmon the better! He is Diops league in offense. Good hustler though. Cant believe he is still in the league!

Lynch is probably have one of those nights where he hit 4 3's and doesn't hit another one for a week!

7. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

Ah a JBB perspective and an ESPN perspective. Nice job mixing the previews fellas. As for the game, perimiter defense, flat out. If we can contain Mash and Davis' jumpshots then we should have a good chance taking this one. Cavs are playing great ball, my homeboy's by 5.

8. jbbKing James

^ It is all JBB now [​IMG]

9. KarmaCav

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">^ It is all JBB now [​IMG]</div>

ESP.........?????? What!!!!

I dont understand!

Were you swaering or something!

[​IMG]

LOL

I'm out guys!!!

I've some croc hunting to do!!! :mrgreen:

See you all before tipoff!!! :thumbsup:

10. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

Lets hope that Zyrunas stays consinstant with his offensive firepower that he has been dishin out us lately. Man, I admit I was one of the many that raised my hand to trade this guy, but now I do realize that he is very important to our team.

11. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

The only way I see New Orleans winning, is if Cleveland is tired from playing New York and San Antonio. I don't think that will happen, Cavs by 6.

12. DajuanWagner#2

DajuanWagner#2 JBB JustBBall Member

Keyplayers for Cavs:
    [​IMG]
    McInnis

[​IMG]
    Illgauskas

Hope Big Z does a great job with Magloire in defense and grab rebounds, score inside, set pick&rolls and do plays like that, Cavs can win if he does, but he need help!
    From Carlos Boozer to double Magloire at times and grab rebounds and be strong in the paint, and LeBron to run the breaks, drive to the basket, get the ball in the basket strong inside, outside shooting and physical defense to make Hornets stressed and make bad passes, bad shots, travelings, everything that makes it easier to get the ball.
    I think Baron Davis will step up to help Darrell Armstrong with guarding LeBron cause they thinks Cavs shall not use McInnis as a scorer, but that could be they key to a win, to use Jeff to score (send good passes or make the give and go, pick and roll and plays like that) when LeBron get doubled by Davis and Armstrong.
    Cavs need the other players to step up to, but this is the mainthing, and I almost forgot, Battie have to step up great when Z need to sit down abit!

But, it's still going to be hard for Cavs, very hard, remember, Hornets is one of the three best Eastern teams right now, so I think we shall not exspect a win, but I really hope Cavs can do the "impossible".

Hornets by 9

*like my "preview" guys?*

13. wags2lebron_wam

wags2lebron_wam JBB JustBBall Member

Have been just a moitor to you guys back on the espn board. never really say much just like to get peoples view on the cavs and other cleveland sports. have been following the revolution to this jbb board and want to get involved and give my view on the cavs. been a life long fan attend several games and love talking about and everyting about the cavs. this site is great with graphics and people. go cavs. big 3 starting to come together with booz, z, znd bron. need more d-wag off the bench though. e-will still a starter over newble. never really been a big newble fan. battie is 10x more moble than diop off the bench.

cavs win by 5 over hornets with momentum

14. Burn

Burn JBB JustBBall Member

OK, here's an idea...

Let's let Baron Davis shoot the 3 ball.

He's shooting 30.3% from long range....newsflash...that's not good.

[​IMG] Burn [​IMG]

15. DajuanWagner#2

They're going to lose if they plays like the three and a half last minute of the game against Knicks yesterday! Those minutes was something of the most horrible Cavs-basketball I've seen this season!
    Hope they play like they did in the third quarter, that quarter was great

16. KarmaCav

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> e-will still a starter over newble. never really been a big newble fan. battie is 10x more moble than diop off the bench. </div>

E will, is definately better suited off the bench! Newble is giving us better defense then Williams is to start with, then Eric gives us that boost Wagners not consistently giving us off the bench. Just because ira's starting, doesn't neccessarily mean he gets the minutes. Its who finishes the game that counts! Williams off the bench covers both small and power forward!

As for Battie, is it just me or he not rebounding much since his comeback??? [​IMG] Defending well though!

17. DajuanWagner#2

yeah, he is defending well, but he only had 1 rebound against the knicks, even Newble had more (2, in fact).
    He got to rebound more than that, if not, he will get no play time.
    A centers job is to get as much rebounds as possible, dominate the paint, score inside, set screens for other players, block, set picks, run plays, defend other big mens and help other players to make their defensive job easier and much more, but the main thing is rebounding and defense. So, Battie, if you want more play time, you got to get more rebounds [​IMG]

18. wags2lebron_wam

wags2lebron_wam JBB JustBBall Member

that is a great point on e-will

every great team needs to have solid bench role players. e-will and wags coming off the bench adds a freshness that not a lot of teams have. nobody had rebounds for z and booz were all over that department.

speaking of booz there seems to be so many mixed emotions about this guy. comparing to espn board. my thoughts is this guy is the horace grant and d- rodman of the bulls. he doesnt want to have all the glory just his props. awesome player, now if the cavs can just add the scottie pippen player to go alnong with all the great role players this team has they will be great. booz will do his job every night and let lebron take the glory.

this team also needs an outside threat. a w. person or ehlo type player. z's game would be that much better for no team in the league respects the cavs outside shooting. he can pass out of the post and draw fewer double teams if he had more outside threats to pass the ball out to. another scorer and shooter next year and time for this team to gel they will be great.. [​IMG]

19. DajuanWagner#2

^
    That's the future of the Cavs my man!

20. KarmaCav

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">this team also needs an outside threat. a w. person or ehlo type player. z's game would be that much better for no team in the league respects the cavs outside shooting. he can pass out of the post and draw fewer double teams if he had more outside threats to pass the ball out to. another scorer and shooter next year and time for this team to gel they will be great.. </div>

If we had some outside shooting, Z and Boozer wouldn't get crowded like they do now! If I were Z, I'd be a blackhole! Everytime you kick it out for an open jumper its a clang [​IMG]