Houston Rockets: Star Free Agent Possibilities for Next Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by bronbron23, Jun 6, 2005.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

Give this website a look at for possible free agents acquisations.
    I like the idea of Ron Artest joining Houston but will it happen?

<font color="red">Link removed by Trip</font>

2. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

Post me your thoughts and views

3. Eduardo

Eduardo JBB JustBBall Member

I've been checking out CF.net daily ever since i found out about it and its analysis of each player has always been practical..I would really really like Ron to be on the Rockets team because he's like an upgraded Wesley. They both play great defense but Artest has the size to really shut someone down. Aside from that, he can create his own shot and is so much more consistent scoring wise. A 3rd option on offense aside from MJ.

Ron would really put us into elite status but i doubt we'll get him though.

4. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think Ron Artest is a very talented basketball player however if I am the Rockets I do NOT want him on my team. Sure he is talented yes, however he is one of those distractors off the court(and on at times) that I think can kill team chemistry. He put himself above the team at the Palace of Auburn Hills this past year and that night alone made me realize that he is that "negative energy" and "black hole" that can only lead to problems. Yes he is one of the best on ball defensive players in the game however I do not think it is in the Rockets best interest to put up with all the garbage that comes with him. Just my $.02 though.

5. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

Ron's antics may have made him less attractive to teams, but he is still a very hot item. He will still ask for alot of money because he is very talented and he can afford to do so. We can't geth im, but his defense would be great for us.

6. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Hunter:</div><div class="quote_post">I think Ron Artest is a very talented basketball player however if I am the Rockets I do NOT want him on my team. Sure he is talented yes, however he is one of those distractors off the court(and on at times) that I think can kill team chemistry. He put himself above the team at the Palace of Auburn Hills this past year and that night alone made me realize that he is that "negative energy" and "black hole" that can only lead to problems. Yes he is one of the best on ball defensive players in the game however I do not think it is in the Rockets best interest to put up with all the garbage that comes with him. Just my $.02 though.</div>
    ARE YOU CRAZY? I would LOVE Ron Artest on the Rockets. He would be perfect. First of all, you gotta understand, Artest is a New York guy. Jeff Van Gundy is also a New York guy, and also Van Gundy has always won the respect of his players. Van Gundy isn't going to baby him like the Pacers do, he's going to demand the best out of him. Picture T-Mac, Artest, and Yao on the court at the same time. That's sick!!!!

7. Hunter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rockfan06:</div><div class="quote_post">ARE YOU CRAZY? I would LOVE Ron Artest on the Rockets. He would be perfect. First of all, you gotta understand, Artest is a New York guy. Jeff Van Gundy is also a New York guy, and also Van Gundy has always won the respect of his players. Van Gundy isn't going to baby him like the Pacers do, he's going to demand the best out of him. Picture T-Mac, Artest, and Yao on the court at the same time. That's sick!!!!</div>

Your right that lineup is sick - sick on paper that is. However when you start putting together personalities and then throw team chemistry in the mix while combining "image", which is so vital to NBA franchises these days, its pretty evident to see that even though Ron Artest is a talented player, he might not be the be option for our team.

8. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Both Artest and McGrady are natural SFs, so it may not be an ideal fit. And I doubt we'd be able to get him. Artest would be way too pricey to keep, and he'd also demand to be the number one or two option. There's no way he could share a court with McGrady and Yao.

9. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Under what type of scenario would we be able to actually afford Artest? Not as a free agent definitely, but we would have to probably trade a huge core outside of Yao and McGrady. If Indiana is keen to get rid of Artest, it would probably take Sura, Wesley, Howard, draft picks and more to make the deal equal in value. We've spent a season building up this chemistry and team; why take it apart?

10. Tracy1

Tracy1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">Both Artest and McGrady are natural SFs,</div>

McGrady is a natural SG.
    By the way, I think Artest would be a great player for Rockets.
    He knows he can't act like he did in the past, because he could be banned from NBA.

11. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tracy1:</div><div class="quote_post">McGrady is a natural SG.
    By the way, I think Artest would be a great player for Rockets.
    He knows he can't act like he did in the past, because he could be banned from NBA.</div>
    No, McGrady is a small forward at best. It's the position he played coming into the league and at Orlando. The fact that he's always played alongside a swingman like Miller and Carter that made it seem like McGrady is a SG. He could excel there but his length and quickness makes him a more natural fit at small forward.

12. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Under what type of scenario would we be able to actually afford Artest? Not as a free agent definitely, but we would have to probably trade a huge core outside of Yao and McGrady. If Indiana is keen to get rid of Artest, it would probably take Sura, Wesley, Howard, draft picks and more to make the deal equal in value. We've spent a season building up this chemistry and team; why take it apart?</div>

I dont think we would loose that much. Like the article said, artest lacks value now. Most teams wont want him and the pacers, if they trade him, would be desperate and take less. Maybe if we give what we would give sura and wesley.

Yao needs an extension though and that really holds us back.

13. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">No, McGrady is a small forward at best. It's the position he played coming into the league and at Orlando. The fact that he's always played alongside a swingman like Miller and Carter that made it seem like McGrady is a SG. He could excel there but his length and quickness makes him a more natural fit at small forward.</div>

He's a SG he played it in Orlando and some this year. He's a natural SG and he was drafted a SG.

14. Trip

Student
    If Artest is indeed on the trade market this summer, I doubt his value would be ridiculously low. Sure, the Pacers are going to get lowballed but they would at least get something to the equivalent of two first round picks and a salary filler. Lockdown defenders are a minority in this league today, and Artest is not only a defensive first team lock, but also a player with the ability to give you 18 points and 6 rebounds a night as well. Attitude is a problem but the Pacers won't be ripped off to bad IMO.

15. Hunter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting playmaker31:</div><div class="quote_post">He's a SG he played it in Orlando and some this year. He's a natural SG and he was drafted a SG.</div>

[​IMG] at the argument as to whether he is a SF or a SG.

Does it really matter what position he "technically plays". Lets be real here Tracy McGrady at SF is the exact same Tracy McGrady that we would see at the SG position. I guarentee when they sub people in and out they aren't like, "Ok, Tracy since Jon Barry is coming into the game you are going to move from the SG position to the SF position so alter your game accordingly."

Who really cares what position you technically want to call him?

16. playmaker15

I understand but I was stating my opinion. I think its mostly for defense because there are much more threats at sf than sg in the West.

17. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Hunter:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG] at the argument as to whether he is a SF or a SG.

Does it really matter what position he "technically plays". Lets be real here Tracy McGrady at SF is the exact same Tracy McGrady that we would see at the SG position. I guarentee when they sub people in and out they aren't like, "Ok, Tracy since Jon Barry is coming into the game you are going to move from the SG position to the SF position so alter your game accordingly."

Who really cares what position you technically want to call him?</div>
    LOL. True. You guys are killing yourselves over what TMac plays, but he actually plays both SG and SF being at the wing. I don't know if Artest won't jell with the Rockets, he's the "Pitbull" Van Gundy mentioned we needed earlier in the season. With a player of his talent, I'd take my chances. I believe we could snatch him up, being that Indiana's going to want more of a solid citizen in return and The Rockets got plenty "nice guys" to go around. Plus, we're in a totally different Conference, so they won't have to see Artest 4 times a year. I don't see anybody on the team outside of Yao and Tmac that can't be traded. It's not impossible, we just need a little luck.

18. Hunter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting playmaker31:</div><div class="quote_post">I understand but I was stating my opinion. I think its mostly for defense because there are much more threats at sf than sg in the West.</div>

Even for defense it doesn't apply. Tracy will be on the ball of the best offensive player on the opposing team(that is a SG/SF). The same goes for Artest if we had him. Whether the person is a SG or SF is totally irrelevant in determining who guards who between the SG/SF. It is all about matchups....not positions.

In addition how are there more threats at SF than SG in the west?(listing the starters for each team below)

SGs - Finley, Miller/Wells, Smith, Manu, Johnson, Sprewell, Anderson/Van Exel, Allen, Bell, Richardson, Magette, Kobe, Johnson, Mobley

SFs - Howard, Battier, Nailon, Bowen, Anthony, Wally S, Miles, Lewis, Kirilenko, Dunleavy, Simmons, Butler, Richardson, Peja.

The only teams with a better offensive SF than SG are Denver, Utah, Sacramento, maybe Phoenix. The SGs in the West are so much more talented than the SFs it is not even funny.

19. playmaker15

Yopu would take Mike MIller or Bonzi Wells over Josh Howard? It's just Kobe Allen JJ, and maybe Maggette who are great.

20. Trip

Student
    I would say the East has more wing threats than the West.

Pierce, Carter, Jefferson, Wade, Francis, Hill, Hamilton, Prince, Artest, Stephen Jackson, Hughes, Arenas, James, and Crawford are just off the top of my head.