Houston Rockets: Star Free Agent Possibilities for Next Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by bronbron23, Jun 6, 2005.

1. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Luck to Nab him? What are you thinking? He's a slight upgrade of Bowen. Maybe a little more athletic, but still no offensive game. I can just see tes backing off Chris Anderson making him take jumpers while triple teaming Yao and Tmac. We need somebody who can HIT OPEN JUMPERS and go to the foul line. If you can't shoot, no matter how high you can jump, teams are going to back off you and exploit you're weakness. That's why I'm not too sold on Chris Anderson. I'd much rather pursue Stormile Swift.</div>
    Stromile Swift and Chris Andersen are essentially the same player. Neither can hit much jumpers and Swift is only younger than Andersen a couple of months. Stromile Swift doesn't have as much defense skills as Andersen but he has more muscle to bang in the low post for points. However, bottom point- both don't have refined low post moves but instead usually score from putbacks. They both average the same minutes while Swift has about three more points, Andersen gives you around three more rebounds and a better shooting percentage. If it was up to me though, I wouldn't take any of those guys since their stock is pretty high right now and are probably going to end up be overpaid. Instead, I would take my chances with Howard and the rookie for the powerforward position.

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rockfan06:</div><div class="quote_post">Luck to Nab him? What are you thinking? He's a slight upgrade of Bowen. Maybe a little more athletic, but still no offensive game. I can just see tes backing off Chris Anderson making him take jumpers while triple teaming Yao and Tmac. We need somebody who can HIT OPEN JUMPERS and go to the foul line. If you can't shoot, no matter how high you can jump, teams are going to back off you and exploit you're weakness. That's why I'm not too sold on Chris Anderson. I'd much rather pursue Stormile Swift.</div>
    Why would our power forward need to go to the free throw line? I agree with you that he needs to be able to hit the open mid range shot, but Swift isn't that good at that either. I don't see why you'll be so high on him when he's a weak rebounder and is basically Andersen with a "potential" label who would end up being overpaid this summer. Andersen can stay inside and grab offensive rebounds, something I'm most intrigued about, because that would allow Yao to drift outside and shoot mid range jumpers.

I think Andersen would be a great acquisition but I doubt he has what it takes to become a solid starter. Maybe something like a sixth man.

3. cheen0

cheen0 JBB JustBBall Member

tyson chandler, chris anderson, jay williams, mike miller, antonio daniels, lotta names no money, to sign them unless we trade, but who are we going to sacrifice for them?

4. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't like the thought of Mike Miller.

As for Anderson, he has what we need, minus the jumpshot. And his shot isn't absolutely awful. It needs work, but there is something to work with. His athleticism can help us alot too. His defense is also better than Swift, OR Ryan Bowen.

Remember this is a JVG team, so defense will help us alot, and Anderson has it. Not to mention defense wins championships.

5. cheen0

cheen0 JBB JustBBall Member

yea, thats what i just htought of right now... we dont need players who score, we need players who can bring us a defensive presence, basically we need players who know their role, maybe chris andersen can do that..

6. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Why would our power forward need to go to the free throw line? I agree with you that he needs to be able to hit the open mid range shot, but Swift isn't that good at that either. I don't see why you'll be so high on him when he's a weak rebounder and is basically Andersen with a "potential" label who would end up being overpaid this summer. Andersen can stay inside and grab offensive rebounds, something I'm most intrigued about, because that would allow Yao to drift outside and shoot mid range jumpers.

I think Andersen would be a great acquisition but I doubt he has what it takes to become a solid starter. Maybe something like a sixth man.</div>
    Well, Swift is a way better shotblocker, and defensive player. I've seen him hit that midrange jumper consistently, and he also has that athletism and quickness that the Rockets desire. I just ain't feeling Anderson's game. I mean if we can't snatch a quality player, I guess he'll do. But overrall, he doesn't have enough offensive game. Atleast Swift has the quickness to get to the basket. With Anderson, I see the same domination from other teams at the PF position. With Swift, I see a quickness advantage at PF. But like I said, if we can't snatch a PF up this summer, then I'll take Anderson.

7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

We really dont need Chris Anderson embarrasing the Rockets in Dunk contests. Other than that he can still contribute.

Hes a better rebounder than Swift and an equal shot blocker. His offense is the only issue.

Swift is more athletic, a better scorer, and has great potential. And because of that he may be expensive.

If the Rockets are interested in these 2 they should really go after Swift first. But if that fails we should still be ok going after Anderson.

8. dakeem1

Yes i think we should go for Swift first, I always thought that was obvious.

The only reason why I, along with many others, like Andersone is because he is a realistic choice for us and is the best choice out of those that are gettable. The only thing we have is the MLE, and do you honestly think that NO ONE will offer Swift more than that?

9. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yes i think we should go for Swift first, I always thought that was obvious.

The only reason why I, along with many others, like Andersone is because he is a realistic choice for us and is the best choice out of those that are gettable. The only thing we have is the MLE, and do you honestly think that NO ONE will offer Swift more than that?</div>
    I would actually go after Andersen first. Swift doesn't bring a defensive game with him which isn't what we need at all. Houston needs a player that can do garbage work down low and let Yao drift out to take jumpers which is what he's really best at. That way, we'll no longer have a liability in the low post since Yao isn't exactly a rebounding machine.

10. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rockfan06:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, Swift is a way better shotblocker, and defensive player. I've seen him hit that midrange jumper consistently, and he also has that athletism and quickness that the Rockets desire. I just ain't feeling Anderson's game. I mean if we can't snatch a quality player, I guess he'll do. But overrall, he doesn't have enough offensive game. Atleast Swift has the quickness to get to the basket. With Anderson, I see the same domination from other teams at the PF position. With Swift, I see a quickness advantage at PF. But like I said, if we can't snatch a PF up this summer, then I'll take Anderson.</div>
    Swift averaged 1.53 blocks per game in 21 minutes per. Andersen 1.49. There is not a lot of stastical evidence to suggest that Swift is a "way better" shot blocker. Andersen also averaged almost a foul less a game, which would mean that he would be able to stay on the court more as he is less likely to be in foul trouble.

Reason I like Andersen is that we'll know what we get from him, while with Swift it's always a ballpark as he isn't consistent. He is more talented than Andersen and has bigger upside but he just can't channel it effectively.

11. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Swift averaged 1.53 blocks per game in 21 minutes per. Andersen 1.49. There is not a lot of stastical evidence to suggest that Swift is a "way better" shot blocker. Andersen also averaged almost a foul less a game, which would mean that he would be able to stay on the court more as he is less likely to be in foul trouble.

Reason I like Andersen is that we'll know what we get from him, while with Swift it's always a ballpark as he isn't consistent. He is more talented than Andersen and has bigger upside but he just can't channel it effectively.</div>
    Yea, but the difference is Swift can hit the midrange jumper consistently. They both blockshots, but Swift is MUCH quicker than Anderson. That quickness advantage will pay off if his jumper's not falling. I see Swift being like a Cato with a jumpshot. Anderson isn't slow, but there's a obvious quickness advantage.

12. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rockfan06:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea, but the difference is Swift can hit the midrange jumper consistently. They both blockshots, but Swift is MUCH quicker than Anderson. That quickness advantage will pay off if his jumper's not falling. I see Swift being like a Cato with a jumpshot. Anderson isn't slow, but there's a obvious quickness advantage.</div>
    Swift is by no means a consistent mid range shooter. In fact, the only thing he's consistent at is being inconsistent. I've consulted Voodoo Child, Grizzlies fan and Memphis resident. Whose word is more trustworthy, you or his?

As for quickness and speed, Swift has no significant advantage either. He can run the floor, but all that agility and quickness still cannot get him rebounds. Andersen averages 2 more rebounds a game in the same minutes, and also shoots a lot better. As I've said, both these players are similar, but Andersen has the edge in some important facets. It's just that he's getting less hype playing on a bad team and being undrafted.

13. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

I dont really want to see the rockets get either of them. I would though prefer anderson because he could come cheaper and is pretty much as good as swift. Neither are much of an upgrade over what wee have now. The rockets have like six PFs right now. I would really like to see us aquire one either through a trade or draft pick. Somehow though, we should get rid of 2-3 of them.

What do yall think of aquiring shareef abdul raheem? Portland is willing to trade him.

14. dakeem1

WPortland are in rebuilding mode. I'm not sure what their payroll looks like, but they might like our expiring contracts.

The good thing about Shareef is his versatility. He could give us mroe options without lineup.

We could start with:
    Yao
    Shareed
    TMac
    Wesley
    Sura

or maybe go with:
    Yao
    Howard
    Shareef
    TMac
    Sura

The second lineup is a huge one and could work very well.I havn't seen SAR play much though. I wonder, how is his defense?

15. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The second lineup is a huge one and could work very well.I havn't seen SAR play much though. I wonder, how is his defense?</div>

I remember when he was in Atlanta, I was bragging to my friends about him saying "The Rockets HAVE to get him." They all thought that he would never fit in with Steve. Now they all believe he is the perfect fit. WHICH HE IS NOT. I was so into this guy, I watched clips of him, read anything I could on the internet, went to message boards representing the Hawks and Blazers. From all that, I have come to the conclusion that his work-ethic is terrible. A lot of my family that is in Atlanta were happy he was gone, they said that he only plays well on bad teams. But, if we can get him for cheap, it's all good.

Why does everyone love Swift? He pulls some dunks on Yao, and everyone believes he is the answer at PF. IMO, Anderson is a better dunker, and his speed, or lack therof is not a problem. If you had to play a season with the Hornets, I think you wouldn't be running up and down the court as hard and fast as you would with the Rockets. Swift is going to get some Dampier or Foyle contract .. and the Rockets, I hope, don't sign him for the MLE if he's not going to compete on every play.

16. WadeDynasty

WadeDynasty JBB JustBBall Member

I think Swift is a bit tempting for many teams. This guy's like a raw K Garnett. Identical size, fast, flashy dunks...If I was a coach, I would love to try and develop this guy into the next KG.

17. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    The second lineup is a huge one and could work very well.I havn't seen SAR play much though. I wonder, how is his defense?</div>
    I thought his defense was supposed to be really good. But after some research, he's averaging about eight or seven rebounds and has about .50 blocks. Its alright I guess, but if we ever get him it would be because of his offense. Offensively, he would a good fit for Houston in my opinion because he can do some dirty work underneath since he has some size (6-9) but also drift out to the perimeter to shoot threes. In addition to that, he has the ability to guard other powerforwards in the west (kind of like a Cliffy Robinson type player). The only problem is, what teams will offer him is in question. No doubtly they will pay more for him than we can possibly afford so I think he's definitely not a possibility for us.

18. Trip

Student
    Shareef can be a 20/10 guy, and he has been, but he's too slow now to be a SF. Maybe occasionally when we want to go big, but definitely not full time. I won't be too happy to get him as he's not really known for his defense, and he's not a great shotblocker. It'll seem like he'll just be a minor upgrade over Howard.

19. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

I know I constantly nag on Van Gundy for getting X-Knicks, but Tim Thomas wouldn't be a bad catch. He isn't Kobe, but he's athletic and long, in other words a match up problem for most SF's in the Western Conference. He could be a vidal role player on the right team (like Nazi Mohammed). The main thing for the Rockets should be Athletism and Quickness. Tim Thomas would GREAT addition for the Rockets, playin along side Mcgrady.

20. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

God no. Please don't get Tim Thomas. He's an overpaid underachiever that doesn't really utilize his athleticism. Right now he's being paid a lot but his contract expires next offseason. Still I don't want him. He doesn't have good defense and can't really remember plays for the team. Not to mention he is a horrendous rebounder that is his height. At times he looks lost out there. I might be overreacting about this, but ask any Knicks fan and you won't hear much good things about him. The only thing that is good about him is that he is deadly from three for a 6-10 player. He shot something like 41% from beyond the arc this season which is really good. Still, there's a lot more cons than pros so it would be stupidity to go after him.