Houston Trades Boki and Jim Jackson for David Wesley of the Hornets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by YugoRocketsFan, Dec 27, 2004.

1. ZhuangCorp

ZhuangCorp JBB JustBBall Member

There have been rumors about acquirng Dalembert and Robinson.

There have been rumors about acquiring Jale Rose and Donyell Marshall.

If either of these trades go down, i think the rockets will have benefitted from the Wesley trade. So, while i am annoyed right now, we might still find ourselves in good position if we can get either of these trades.

2. flamehead

flamehead JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

wow, i just got news of the trade. ok here's the low-down IMO:

Jim Jackson:
    - good shooter especially from three point land (yes, he was in a shooting slump, but who doesnt go through one?)
    - tough, aggresive defender able to guard all <u>three</u> backcourt postions
    - very strong for his height (look at his muscles, sheesh!)
    - combination of strength and aggresivness allows JJ to have good rebounding skills.
    - has nice playmaking abilities for a Small Forward
    - very seasoned and exprerienced

career averages:
    1. ppg - 15.3, a respectable number
    2. rpg - 4.9, for a vet SF, 5 rebounds a game is pretty good
    3. apg - 3.4, being able to put up 3.4 apg without being the primary ballhandler on most teams he played shows he is willing to pass
    4. career .367 three pt and .824 free throw, shows he can knock the three down consistently and has been a good free throw shooter throughout his career.

David Wesley:
    - excellent shooter, known for his outside shot
    - strong player, at 6-1 and 203 pounds, muscles everywhere.
    - a scoring threat when his shooting touch is added with his solid penetrating ablities, however he settles for jumpers too often sometimes
    - early in his career, displayed excellent passing abilities, although not a playmaker now, still manages to put up nice assists numbers.
    - lack of height hurts him sometimes on defensive assignments, compensates by being a smart team defender
    - <u>experienced veteran</u>

career averages:
    1. ppg - 13.3, his scoring has gone down, but dont forget he has baron davis, jamal magloire and sometimes mashburn on his team
    2. rpg - 2.6, but dont forget he's 6-1
    3. apg - 4.8, had a career high of 7 assists in one season, howver he still puts up a decent 4.2 this season (dont forget baron davis was playing with him for the last few years, which would definately lower his apg)
    4. .369 three point, the difference from JJ isnt that much

conclusion: houston gives up a versatile swingman for a good scorer, and it seems new orleans got the better end of the deal. wesley is as good a scorer as JJ, but JJ is a better defender, rebounder, and JJ plays the same spot as wesley (shooting guard) the only upside i see is wesley being able to handle point guard duties. but dont forget houston has a combo guard already in bob sura, and T-mac handles the ball a lot too. even though charlie ward isnt very good, the houston will not have a true point guard if ward gets injured.
    thus, houston basically get another perimeter scorer, which they already have , and while New Orleans get a scoring threat, defender and rebounder from the SF/ SG spot.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Adrenaline:</div><div class="quote_post">I just hope JJ goes to the HOF. He was good when he was with the Mav's.</div>
    isnt there a HOF for sixth men?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YugoRocketsfan:</div><div class="quote_post">Van Gundy Doesnt Trade Moochie CD does cuz Van Gundy is coach he organizes plays and CD owns the team and he is the guy who trades the players</div>
    [​IMG] that is one dumb post. so what u are claiming is
    1. the coach has no say in trading players on the team
    2. the coach is only there to organize plays
    the coach does have a say in trading players. a coach meets up with the GM and they discuss which trades would be best for the franchise.
    another thing, u are stating a very obvious fact : the GM trades the players. its like telling us George W.Bush is the president of the united states.
    clearly, our intelligence is being insulted, even if the intention of the post wasn't so

3. Lakers2006

Lakers2006 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think the trade hurts us that much. JJ was really a SG playing SF, his defense was not "all that", and he wasn't a consistent perimiter threat this year. Hell, none of our role players have been (which allows teams to focus on T-Mac and Yao).
    If Wesley can hit his shots then the trade is a plus. He is also more up-tempo than Jackson (along with Barry, the other acquisition). Maybe we are trying to run more....

4. wink3fan

wink3fan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Lakers2006:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think the trade hurts us that much. JJ was really a SG playing SF, his defense was not "all that", and he wasn't a consistent perimiter threat this year. Hell, none of our role players have been (which allows teams to focus on T-Mac and Yao).
    If Wesley can hit his shots then the trade is a plus. He is also more up-tempo than Jackson (along with Barry, the other acquisition). Maybe we are trying to run more....</div>

If we are trying to run more then we have to get rid of JVG because there's no way the rockets will be a run n gun team with him as head coach.

5. YugoRocketsFan

YugoRocketsFan BBW Member

I think this topic is kinda big lately but i mostly think the rockets will be a little better

6. shoeaddict

shoeaddict JBB JustBBall Member

god. JJ gone. JJ!!!!!! Man, for wesely? His ears can pick up xm radio...awww, rockets..why?

7. YugoRocketsFan

YugoRocketsFan BBW Member

Actually that was a good trade

8. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YugoRocketsfan:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually that was a good trade</div>

your posts add nothing to this conversation... so how about thinking before posting nonsense like this

9. Dan Le

Dan Le JBB JustBBall Member

^ Amen, plus what trade are you talking about Yugo? the JJ-Boki for Wesley one? I thought before you said it was a bad trade...