How about Bonds in Tampa Bay?

Discussion in 'MLB General' started by cpawfan, Feb 25, 2008.

1. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

On the way to work this morning, I heard Buster Olney on the Mike & Mike show talking about the possibility of Barry Bonds joining the Rays.

He said that a senior scout told him that the Rays have enough talent that they could win half their games this season. He then opined that if Bonds is willing to accept 7 to 8 million for the season, he could be a good fit both financially and in the lineup. The big stat he tossed out was .480 on base average.

Another item he brought up is that after the Mitchell Report and the Clemens debacle, the stigma of Bonds won't be an issue as almost every team has somebody under scrutiny. One of the host then brought up that since the home run record chase is over, Bonds won't have near the amount of media attention on him either this season.

What do you think about the Rays going after Bonds?

2. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Feb 25 2008, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>On the way to work this morning, I heard Buster Olney on the Mike & Mike show talking about the possibility of Barry Bonds joining the Rays.

He said that a senior scout told him that the Rays have enough talent that they could win half their games this season. He then opined that if Bonds is willing to accept 7 to 8 million for the season, he could be a good fit both financially and in the lineup. The big stat he tossed out was .480 on base average.

Another item he brought up is that after the Mitchell Report and the Clemens debacle, the stigma of Bonds won't be an issue as almost every team has somebody under scrutiny. One of the host then brought up that since the home run record chase is over, Bonds won't have near the amount of media attention on him either this season.

What do you think about the Rays going after Bonds?</div>

Wasn't their payroll around 25M last year?

If it's around the same figure, dropping 7M on Bonds is foolish. They should lock up their own young talent.

I think 7/8M for Bonds is a steal even if he is a full time DH.

-Petey

3. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

My understanding is part of the basis for paying him is the expectation of increased ticket sales.

4. Petey

There TV deal is set so that won't change.

They would have to sell about 2,000 more tickets a game (average around $50 w/ concessions) over the 81 games to make up around 8M.

Think it's possible?

Wow, to think all the loot the Giants made off him.

-Petey

5. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    I don't think Bonds should be getting picky about his salary at this point of his career. Of course he's still effective, but people around the league hate him so he has to be careful.

6. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

As a Rays fan, I would welcome Bonds as a insurance policy for Rocco Baldelli in RF. LF and CF are taken by Crawford and Upton and right now only RF is the only spot up in the air with competition between Baldelli, Johnny Gomes (DH) and Cliff Floyd. If signed, I believe they would switch Bonds to right because of his great defense, that way baldelli is less of an injury risk and use him and Gomes at DH, and have Cliff Floyd play utility in the outfield.

If Bonds would wait a couple years, he could hit into the water like he did in San Francisco, when the new Rays stadium is built.

7. Petey

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panthersare#1 @ Feb 25 2008, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>As a Rays fan, I would welcome Bonds as a insurance policy for Rocco Baldelli in RF. LF and CF are taken by Crawford and Upton and right now only RF is the only spot up in the air with competition between Baldelli, Johnny Gomes (DH) and Cliff Floyd. If signed, I believe they would switch Bonds to right because of his great defense, that way baldelli is less of an injury risk and use him and Gomes at DH, and have Cliff Floyd play utility in the outfield.

If Bonds would wait a couple years, he could hit into the water like he did in San Francisco, when the new Rays stadium is built.</div>

Not the same Barry Bonds you are thinking of. He's a horrid player in the field now. Why everyone says his best spot is as a DH.

-Petey

8. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

Here is what Carl Crawford said about bonds.

"It's Barry Bonds. Who wouldn't want to have him on their team?"-Carl Crawford

"With the way things are happening, they're really trying to get key ingredients to help the team win," Crawford said. "Anything's possible. It really doesn't surprise me they'd be doing something like this, because they'll try anything to get us to the next level."

9. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

It's horrible, unless ownership is just trying to put asses in seats.
    Bonds in RF would be fun(ny) to watch.
    What kind of free agent type is he? A, B, or C? Does it even matter, considering the pick would likely be protected, considering where Tampa will finish.

10. Petey

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MyNetsForLife @ Feb 25 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's horrible, unless ownership is just trying to put asses in seats.
    What kind of free agent type is he? A, B, or C? Does it even matter, considering the pick would likely be protected, considering where Tampa will finish.</div>

Pretty sure in MLB there is no such thing as a protected pick.

-Petey

11. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Petey @ Feb 25 2008, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MyNetsForLife @ Feb 25 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's horrible, unless ownership is just trying to put asses in seats.
    What kind of free agent type is he? A, B, or C? Does it even matter, considering the pick would likely be protected, considering where Tampa will finish.</div>

-Petey
    </div>
    I think there is. I'm just not sure where you have to stand to have the pick you lost by compensation to be protected.

Wait, did the Giants offer Barry arbitration? If not, it doesn't matter.

12. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Petey @ Feb 25 2008, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MyNetsForLife @ Feb 25 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's horrible, unless ownership is just trying to put asses in seats.

-Petey
    </div>
    I think there is. I'm just not sure where you have to stand to have the pick you lost by compensation to be protected.

Wait, did the Giants offer Barry arbitration? If not, it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I was right. Picks 1-15 cannot be lost.

13. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Bonds should just retire. Honestly, I'm sick of seeing anything about him or Clemens. They should both just stay far, far away from the MLB.

14. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

Cliff Floyd is in the exact same boat as Bonds. They can't stay healthy when they are on the field, so they need to DH. Bonds is better than Floyd but the Rays are too cheap. I don't think they'll sign him. Bonds was constantly being lifted last season for defensive purposes late in the game when the bullpen was blowing leads.

And IF the Giants made ANY money off him (which I doubt), it went directly into the stadium that they'll be paying for for a long long time. That and Aaron Rowand [​IMG]

15. knicksfan3

knicksfan3 Nets Season Ticket Holder - Section 225

I think Bonds to Tampa depends mostly on how much money they'll give him....But in all honesty if Bonds wants to keep playing he should just head to Japan where the fans still idolize him and he'll continue to make good money without being hounded to no end by the press about steroids. Just go to Japan, Barry, make us all happy.

16. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

Now that Rocco Baldelli is on the DL indefinitely with a condition that doesnt let him rebound from fatigue, Bonds in Tampa may be a good thing because they need a backup DH/RF because Johnny Gomes and Cliff Floyd are going to be splitting those two positions, and the Rays would prefer Cliff Floyd being a backup at both of those positions rather than a full time starter.

If Bonds came their would be a three way between Bonds, Floyd and Gomes at RF and DH because there isnt a ready prospect for those positions.

17. MagicFan12

MagicFan12 Member

I'd say no, Bonds is likely done now. He's too far universally hated in the baseball world, and he's too old (and doesn't have his roids to make everything better any more).

18. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

He only needs another 65 hits for 3000. Didn't they sign Wade Boggs for that alone? I'm sure they'd try anything at this point to get some people to come to their games.