Exclusive How Arbitration Could Fix the NBA's Superteam/Parity Problem

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Jun 5, 2017.

?

What do you think of this system?

1. It's a great solution to the NBAs parity problem

20.0%
  2. It needs minor tweaks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's a good start, but needs major changes to be impactful

40.0%
  4. It's not worth discussing because it would never get approved

40.0%
  5. My attention span/laziness/busy lifestyle won't let me read that much writing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't understand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I don't want to make the league more competitive (Adam Silver's response)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think all of the stars in your examples would have "transferred" fine to other teams and continued to produce similar value for their teams. Players like Erving, Malone and Barry were stars for other teams too.

What you seem to be nostalgic about was a period in which it was much harder for players to switch teams, so stars were more locked in to a single team than they are now.

If you enjoy teams that have systems that produce beautiful, flowing, team-oriented basketball, that exists today--like the Spurs and Warriors.

2. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Swoosh.

Warriors.

Perhaps they are getting close under Kerr.

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Yeah, I mentioned the Warriors. How about the Spurs and Duncan? Or even the new Spurs and Kawhi Leonard?

4. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Yes, I know you mentioned the Warriors. I thought about including then approaching in my original post, but didn't since still predominately rely on individual efforts more so than synergy as of yet.
    They may get there, so I acknowledge your contribution. The lack of synergy is still holding the spurs back in my view.

One of the thoughts that prompted my post was a mental comparison of the 75 Warriors and todays warriors and what is making each the leagues best.
    The individuals on the todays Warriors are far better, not so sure about the team due to the differing level of synergy.

5. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    The Spurs team that won back in 2014 was the last team I remember really being amazed by in terms of team synergy and a team that was greater than the sum of its parts. If you remember, that team was on a mission from god to redeem themselves from the 2013 NBA finals game 6 in which Bosh got a tap out with seconds to go to Ray Allen who made a miracle 3 to tie the game. The Spurs lost game 7 that year and the championship, and in 2014 they blitzed the league and played some of the best team ball I have seen in my life time. I am only 32, so I don't remember those teams even from the 70s or 80s, but the 2014 team has so far been my favorite iteration of any championship team I can remember.