How bout this trade?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by <-=*PdX*=->, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

I did. While I really like what we have and would be completely content in going the distance this year with this group, I do believe there are ways for this team to improve through trades. But I'm more for minor tweaks or bringing in more young, developing talent than jaw dropping blockbuster deals at this point. I don't want to bring in anyone that's going to take minutes away from Greg, Joel, Lamarcus, Nic, Brandon, and Rudy. An argument could be made for an upgrade at the reserve PF, reserve SF, starting PG, or reserve PG spot. I'm down with that as long as it's not going rock the boat.

Again, I'm real happy with the team we have. I understand though that when an advantageous deal presents itself, management may have to pounce. If I had to point to our weakest link, the reserve PG or PF spots are places where we can improve.

Just because I feel the team can win it all this year, doesn't mean we should always be looking for ways to improve.

2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

No worries. Good discussion. And I don't have problems "agreeing to disagree". I dofeel that I have a valid, though minority, viewpoint on a lot of the topics on here and generally like to contribute towards getting away from groupthink. Not to say that everyone who disagrees with me is dumb or wrong or not a fan.

I've said a few different places on here that the game result at the end of the night isn't the end-all-be-all of my fandom. If we had played well against the Pistons and just ran into a buzzsaw, I wouldn't be unconsolable. In fact, I think I've been pretty good about pointing out both positive and negative observations I see from the game--win or lose. I keep bringing up the Kings and Spurs (and to a lesser extent, Houston), b/c we played those games poorly. Certain players played poorly in those games, or were exposed for something, and I was just pointing that out. For the GSW game, I didn't make too much of a stink about it b/c it was mostly on the refs. I think (iirc) I called LMA out some for not being able to deal with Maggette, and for the team as a whole who kept shooting bricks from 3, but I had much more to say about the Kings game, and anyone who says we played well b/c we won. It's just observation and discussion for me when I come on after games, not really results. Anyone can say "We won, we rule" or "you lost, you suck". I try to get a little deeper than that.

I admit that I'm by nature a problem-solver, and the Trade Machine puzzles to me are fun, even if I think most aren't realistic (for myriad reasons). I totally understand if they don't float your (or anyone else's) boat, and am not offended if you ignore threads like that.

My predictions came from watching the team the last couple of years, and seeing some of the good things I was seeing in preseason. I know it's not popular, but I really think this team can at least perform to the level of the Hornets last year. That's not because I have money riding on 58 wins in Vegas, or I took the 30-to-1 odds...it's b/c, based on my own personal observations of the last 20 years I've watched/played/coached basketball, I think our team is really, really good. And I think people are starting to come around (2 months later than me) that we're a really talented team that should be playing well almost every night.

3. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

It is an indicator though, right. If you were to say, before the season, what Portland would need to do in order to convince you that they were ready to compete for a championship, would you say the following:

- Win against the perceived top-tier teams in the league
    - Pummel inferior teams
    - Weather adversity
    - Need to have superstar play from at least one starter
    - Have one of the best half-court offenses in the league
    - Win your division
    - Play excellent team defense
    - Don't let teams get back into the game
    - Be well coached
    - Have a deep bench
    - Win at home
    - Win on the road

We're more than 20% done with the season. They're not just winning but winning convincingly, even on the road. They're doing all of the above things that NBA champions do. This team is for real IMO.

The Dodgers were a young team. Yes, Manny was having an unbelievable year and Lowe was their ace (both vets), but no one was giving them a lot respect heading into the Playoffs. The rest of their roster was filled with inexperienced, yet very talented, young ball players. They were contenders.

Portland doesn't have the equivalent to a ManRam in this scenario, so my argument isn't as strong as I was hoping, but still, the perception was, just as it is here, that the Dodgers were too young to compete.

A better example would have been the Devil Rays, but I'm a Dodger fan.

I know that there aren't many examples of young teams becoming contenders overnight, but then, there aren't many teams that have been assembled like this before. This team is unique in the history of today's NBA.

Here's what Pritchard and company have compiled through the draft (seems silly to list this as you're already well aware)

- Brandon Roy (Superstar shooting guard)
    - Greg Oden (Already a top-10 center and showing improvement every week)
    - LaMarcus Aldridge (fringe All-Star PF that's also becoming one of the best defending PF in the league IMO)
    - Nic Batum (one of the leagues best perimeter defending SFs)
    - Rudy Fernandez (one of the league's top long ball shooters)
    - Sergio Rodriguez (one of the league's top playmakers)
    - On top of this, adding in the sure hands of Steve and the defensive skills of Joel

What other NBA team has been able to compile these levels of NBA talent, all with different, yet complimenting skill sets. KP doesn't do redundant. He's listened to what Nate's needed and methodically brought players in that can make the team stronger.

What no one expected, even KP, was that it would all come together this fast.

4. yenniedn

yenniedn Transplanted Blazer Fan

Enterprise Software Sales
    I'm going to borrow one from Brian's playbook and consider this loss against Orlando tonight a "WIN" for the rest of the season . . . Hedo had no business making that shot!!! ;)

5. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

LOL good call, Yennie.

Honestly, if you notice, I'm not spewing a ton of "hate" tonight. We played pretty well against a team that was hot from deep. We had single-digit turnovers, and out-rebounded the other team. Our defense wasn't good, but it was a team effort. I'm a little confused about the 1-2-2 zone. I'm also confused about the last 2 minutes.

If I HAD to say who didn't play well, it'd be 1) Oden, 2) Blake, 3) Travis, 4) Batum. Batum was a little more involved in the offense than he has been, but keeps getting tick-tack fouls and doesn't get much burn. Travis's defense was not good--to the point that Homer Rice was calling him out for not staying with his assignment (hm...haven't I said that before? COUGH--Mike Miller and McGrady). Taking a 3 with time left on the shot clock up 5 with a minute to go isn't good either. Blake shouldn't have been on the floor at the end--no fault of his own. But he shouldn't be jacking 3's, and he shouldn't be attempting one-on-two drives, and he should understand that if Roy's being held, he can pass to someone else instead of burning his last timeout. Oden's been discussed...he was active on the boards, but got gypped by having a couple of quick fouls called on him and not on the other end. That's how the game goes, though.

6. yenniedn

yenniedn Transplanted Blazer Fan

Enterprise Software Sales
    =) OK, I'll let this loss go if we can agree to let go of the would-be losses in Sacto, San Antonio and Houston??? ;)