How can we get rid of Batum?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Sinobas, Apr 29, 2015.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

His value has never been lower than it is right now. JJ Hickson had a career year his contract season and didn't get a big deal when he left. I think there's a good chance Nico gets moved before next season, but I'm still a huge fan of his game. There will be a lot more cap space when his current deal expires and he can be traded anytime even if we sign him to a new deal. If he's having a career year, his value will gain more in return then.

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Sorry, but I don't see how anyone can come to that conclusion with so many x factors this year and players who will be x factors next year.

Most people on here talk about improving from this year as if we reached a peak. We had so many injuries, there is no way we can accurately and fairly assess this teams peak.
    what were we 30-8 at one point when we started out healthy? People say, yeah but easy schedule. Okay, but we dominated so obviously, who says we don't win many games we lost if we were healthy the second half?

We have 2 top ten picks who are blossoming and will be a substantial help to our bench that has been an issue the last couple seasons.

So many x factors. How can anyone say this will be the same team next year if we keep the same team?
    We don't have a core that has been together for the better part of a decade, so they should improve together over the next couple years, especially if everyone stays healthy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying hold pat and we have a ring next year, but I am saying that when you are a potential contender, you fill the gaps, not blow up the future of the team. Let them grow together.
    To me, Drummund isn't worth both CJ and Meyers and a pick just sets us further back. We shouldn't want picks right now in my opinion. The team is overall pretty young and has room for improvement. We need fill gaps. Rolo off the bench for a defensive minded center. A quality backup for Dame ( No not CJ, he is a shooting guard, don't change what he is good at...he even said it on the tv show the other night. Too many players try or get pushed into doing what didn't get them there. Do what your good at and work on the rest, but don't play a player out of his position.)

Those are my thoughts on our bench. We have a very solid core, but just need a couple role playing pcs to the puzzle...obviously if we bring everyone back.

Mags has the best thoughts on this in my opinion. Bring everyone back and then go for a defensive center and a back up PG. Let the team have another year to see about a ceiling for individuals as well as a team.

PtldPlatypus and riverman like this.
  3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

And who exactly do you suggest we replace Batum with? And were gonna beat those guys with a bench of Hezonja/Kaman/Crabbe?? Haha so basically we go back to a historically bad bench, give away youth, just to get a little bit better at C by getting Drummond.
    He'll get the max next year and with Lillards max extension as well, will leave us with no cap space for years to come, with no youth developing, and having already traded away a first round pick every other year. So we'll have no flexibility and be in the exact same spot we are in now

BBert and Orion Bailey like this.
  4. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Did you just compare Batum to Hickson?!?!?! That's like comparing Gasol to Freeland

Completely different scenario riverman and you know it. Batum is hands down way better than Hickson. Batum plays the game well, but is always off and on.

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I agree but the comparison I tried to make was the jump in production during a contract year, not the quality of a player. I was glad to see him go. I like Nic's game probably better than most fans here.

6. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
  7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

8. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I have a feeling it is mutual; IMO Nic wants to leave POR when his contract ends and fans want him gone, hope Olshey decides to trade him so we can get some value back vs NOTHING next summer. I don't care if he has a good yr next yr, if he does some team will big time overpay and then he'll go back to his same ol ways

Orion Bailey likes this.
  9. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    And you know this because of your long chit chats with Nic, over croissants and Gauloises, I suppose.

10. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    See - even LaMarcus wants Batum gone:

OneLifeToLive likes this.
  11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

And you know this because he privately texted you the second half of his tweet, making note he was referring to Batum?
    See? What comes around goes around. ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  12. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I agree (not about him bouncing because he wants to leave but because of a big contract that makes no sense to match), I like Batum though he's always been one of my favorite Blazers.

I kinda hope we trade him to Orlando at the draft now, they're a young team, good coach, good location and would get to play with a fellow Frenchmen.

I wonder if they would do Batum+23 for B. Gordon+Dedmon+5

Gordon is an expiring contract and a vet, Dedmon is a good backup center/depth move (Think Koufus/Leuer level) and of course the 5th pick who would likely be Winslow.

13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I don't think there's any chance that Batum could fetch that.

14. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

how did U know?

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. ThugginPaulyGAllen

ThugginPaulyGAllen Active Member

At some point the cake has to stop baking and we need to make moves to win. This IS the off season we have been waiting for, according to our very own GM.

We aren't winning with our team as assembled, especially with a gimpy Wes coming back...hopefully close to full health.

This isn't even my preferred choice, actually, but there are numerous ways to improve the team and IMO this was just a suggestion to get rid of Batum, address a glaring weakness with another young player and have an opportunity to replace one of our developmental pieces with another, a major risk but Drummond, Aldridge and Lillard would be a helluva tandem IMO.

16. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Your beret is a dead giveaway.

17. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Who spent the entire season stealing from the org? And IMO aloof about it.

That pretty much answers it no?

18. ThugginPaulyGAllen

ThugginPaulyGAllen Active Member

If that is what you got from my post, I feel bad for you. Hopefully this helps you understand.

Never did I say our bench would be Hezonja, Crabbe and Kaman, first of all. I'd even boot Kaman out for his 5 mill salary most likely.

We would be at around 20 mill in comitted salaryafter trading Batum and, possibly, letting Kaman go. Which would leave us with 40ish mill in cap space l minus cap holds.

Just to clarify,

I said we would have a new completely revamped benched because we would free up around 10 mill in cap space from Batum's contract in addition to the cap space we already have, while adding the 8th pick (who could, or could not be) NBA ready in addition to a starting center.

Thus, our new roster would be completely revamped resulting in:

Lillard /
    Afflalo (I personally wouldn't resign Wes for anything more than 10 mill, especially with Afflalo on the books)
    Hole at SF
    Aldridge
    Drummond

8th pick
    10 mill in salary freed up by Batum trade in addition to what we already have (2 5 mill players?)
    25 mill else to play with, 30 if we drop Kaman minus (cap holds and draft hold)

The suggestion above, taking out Meyers or McCollum, preferably Meyers but doubt it, so I'll say we keep mccollum.

Thus, our roster could end up looking something like, depending on who we get at 8: Currently, Kristaps, Justice Winslow and Stanley Johnson are 789 on draft express. 2 of them are SFs, so I assume back up SF would be addressed, but I'd take Kristaps if available.

Lillard / CJ Watson? Lin? Cory Joseph? (All should be available around 5 mill, give or take)
    Afflalo / McCollum / Crabbe
    Winslow OR Stanley Johnson / Mike Dunleavy OR AL farouq aminu (could also go pricier and try and land Demarre, Crowder or Tobias if we get Kristaps at 8)
    Aldridge / (Kristaps at 8) OR Luc Richard, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis
    Drummond / Koufos or the like

Everyone mentioned should be available for around 5 mill or so each with obvious exceptions. From that list.. for a little over 20ish mill you could conceivably add Watson, Dunleavy, Luc Richard and someone like Koufos and then draft Winslow or Stanley Johnson. Given I believe we have more than 20 mill with this trade, you can play with the percentages for each and get a better SF for a worse backup PF or C, Yada yada.

"Haha so basically," your post, which is critical of our depth after making this trade, is entirely wrong and misguided based on the previous points mentioned, resulting in us adding through the draft and free agency.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

for whatever reason I mixed up Drummond and Monroe. So you're right. No need to get so worked up

20. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    8, 5, 4, 2, 1:

BBert likes this.