How can we get rid of Batum?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Sinobas, Apr 29, 2015.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Yeah man Detroit is a legit option.
    Think about it.. Batum and '18 1st round (2nd round if possible) pick for Caron and 8
    They need a legit wing and Batum could be that Pick n Roll guy with Drummond and Monroe.. Adding him to their team would make them a fringe playoff squad. Draft pick is in 2018 when J Smooves contract is off the books.

Trade 8 and Kaman (+ a filler if needed) to NY for #4
    NY would get one of Mudiay, Porzingas, Herzonja, or Cauley-Stein. I think they don't really value one over the other and trading down gives them the chance to still grab one while Kaman gives them some big man depth which they sorely need.
    Blazers could draft Winslow
    Where you go from there I don't know...
    But you end trading Batum, Kaman and a pick for Winslow and Caron while saving $9M.
    Tell me if that's not as feasible as I think it is...

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Tempting but I'm not a big fan of butler. He's one of those guys that is just as hot and miss as Batum. Their pick is nice though.

I would totally do the NY trade, just use Batum and bypass Detroit. Obviously we need a player from NY

3. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Calderón would have to be the player.

4. BonesJones

yeah but Butler would come off the bench so it's more tolerable. And he can score in different ways unlike Batum. And he's cheap. I don't think NY wants Batums contract, so going through Detroit would get them 2 picks for depth and Kaman. And I think they wouldnt view 8 as much of a downgrade from 4, since the talent level is even in picks 4-8

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Thing is, once they dumped Smith, Detroit was legitimately challenging for the playoffs before Jennings went down. With a healthy Jennings, having added Jackson, retaining Monroe, and then adding Batum, they would legitimately have a chance to contend next year, so they'd conceivably be willing to deal their pick for a player on the final year of his deal. New York is rebuilding, so it wouldn't make any sense for them to trade a cornerstone pick for (possibly) a one-year rental, especially one who plays the same position as their franchise player.

Just eliminate New York from your mind as a trade partner, unless (as Bones Jones detailed) we've already moved up into the top 10 via a prior trade. Batum to Detroit makes a ton of sense, though.

6. PtldPlatypus

FYI, posted this on MLive's forum to see what Piston fans see is the value of their pick; the first response was basically, "Batum/Leonard/23. Batum's an expiring, so we'd need more."

7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Makes sense from their prospective. Detroit is not a hot bed for free agents. One year is not enough time for a foreign player to feel connected to Motown.

8. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

How about Mario Hezonja? NBADraft.net compares him to Rex Champan.

9. PtldPlatypus

Sure, but from our perspective, I imagine we'd be unlikely to trade Leonard for 8 straight up--we're certainly not sending him and Batum and #23.

blue9 likes this.
  10. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Bingo. At this point I think Meyers is almost as untouchable as Lillard, based on the fact that he JUST started to break out. No chance we trade him for an unknown commodity. Even less chance we trade him PLUS Nic for an unknown commodity. And absolutely no chance we trade him, PLUS Nic, PLUS a draft pick for an unknown commodity.

11. ThugginPaulyGAllen

ThugginPaulyGAllen Active Member

Still a terrible trade? Getting Drummond and 8 for Mccollum meyes 23 and batum?

They supposedly want batum meyers and 23 for 8 LOL.

How is it terrible? Because we lose depth? star driven league my man

12. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah that would be a lot. There does look to be a few quality players at 8 (i.e Stanley Johnson) that would be tempting, but the draft looks pretty deep. There looks to be some good players at 23 as well. And as we all know it is a bit of a crap shoot when you are gambling on which players will improve the most. Because they all need to.

It's kind of like recruiting in college football....who will be the better OL? The 5 star kid who is 6'5" 300 in Highschool and is dominating because of size and strength? Or the 3 or 4 star kid that is 6/7" 260 lbs in HS but has really good feet and the frame to gain 40 lbs of muscle after redshirting a year..........

13. BonesJones

you're trading 2 lottery picks just starting to hit their stride who are also your top 2 guys off the bench, plus your starting SF plus #23 just to move up and for a guy that's not even a star yet.. I'll tell you Meyers has 16 & 10 potential if he started.
    McCollum has 17 & 5 potential if he got starters minutes.. If those guys were doing that nobody would suggest, but since their only bench guys their not as valuable? Their the same person, same player. And we've seen what happens when we have absolutely no bench

BBert likes this.
  14. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I'm not a big fan of trading Batum for just a draft pick, i'd have to get back a player I really like. For me a deal like MKG + 9 for Batum is where i'd start. I think Batum has a lot of value in a trade, just because so many of us watch him on a daily basis and get pissed off on his inconsistency and lack of aggression doesn't change the fact he is a very unique player in the league, very good defender who can guard multiple positions good 3p shooter and can get you almost 5 assists a game while being an above average rebounder for his position. I know he is on a 1 year deal but I'd still start the asking price high for him.

HailBlazers likes this.
  15. ThugginPaulyGAllen

We lose our starting SF; gain more cap room - use additional cap room to sign a starting SF.

We gain a starting center. negating the 'lost SF'. We ultimately lose no starters.

We gain the #8 pick. This pick could be used to address depth concerns, possibly drafting someone to replace Meyers or McCollum, you can get an nba ready player in the top 10 of this draft.

We still have cap room to sign free agents, MLE. We won't have no bench unless you assume we don't sign any FA's with the whole bundle of cap room we have Since Drummond only makes 3 mill next season, which would free up an additional 15 million in cap space minus the hold for the 8th pick.

But ya, we would have no bench lol

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

CJ and Meyers are our future. Why trade 2 top 10 picks that have proven they are ready for the next step with us, for one top 10 pick that may be nba ready, but may not fit in our system?

All this talk about getting rid of CJ and Meyers for future draft picks is making me sick to my stomach.

With all the other free agents and Batums expiring, why on earth would ANYONE want to get rid of these two? Their ceiling has not been figured yet. Who knows how good these two will be in two more years.

(Oh... on another team that kicks our ass in the first round probably...)

dviss1 and BBert like this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I have complete trust in Olshey. Folks think Batum is replaceable but in a contract season..I think he's going to have a great year...if not, there's the trade deadline in Feb.

dviss1, BBert and HailBlazers like this.
  18. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    That's what I'm afraid of. He will play like an animal and obtain a large contract, then hit and miss for the remainder of his mega contract.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  19. ThugginPaulyGAllen

It's for this year's 8th and and
    it's not for future picks. It's For Andre Drummond and this year's pick. Flat out. As assembled, we aren't beating a healthy OKC or warriors team retaining everyone.

20. ThugginPaulyGAllen

Who do you think that'll be