Funny How can you make a deal without a common language?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by MarAzul, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Well, get ready. Quite a few more ready to leave Cal. But you might be saved, they want some place different, not the same.

2. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

When I came here from California, it was still a red state. Seems to me that the new crop of refuges flee from over taxation, crime, and a decaying quality of life. Then they get here and want to enact the same foolishness in social programs that turned Cali into a shit hole. No wonder why we have the existing administration in state office.

UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.
  3. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Being a native Oregonian, I don’t know that I blame Cali immigrants for our current liberal government. We pretty much have ourselves to blame for that. But my experience is that they move up here for what it is and, as soon as they get settled in all they do bitch about what it isn’t. They cry about the rain, property taxes, no self service gasoline, yada, yada, yada. Worse, they then turn around and tell you how much better it was in Cali. I miss the days when no one knew Oregon even existed, and if they did we were considered just a bunch of moss backed, flannel wearing lumberjacks. Sure made life (and fashion) easier..........

MarAzul likes this.
  4. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I don't know if it is the same. Back of when you speak Cal and Oregon both were Red. And refuges were not, but now I think I see the reverse. This time I don't see Oregon being the destination for those disenchanted here (Cal) now. There are people here pissed as hell about Cal being a Sanctuary, farms being cut off from water. The cultural stratification is becoming a huge problem, at least it seems that way to me. Just driving through one County, it appears you crossed the Southern boarder several times within 50 miles. And property values are wildly different, so the tax system is a mess.

DaLincolnJones likes this.
  5. DaLincolnJones

I still remember what has been attributed to Tom McCall "Welcome to Oregon, visit, but dont stay" program https://www.opb.org/artsandlife/article/former-governor-tom-mccall-message-visitors/

6. DaLincolnJones

Yeah, I can see how in the rural areas, those that settle from the south would be more conservative. The left leaning loons that infest Corvallis, Eugene and Portland have influenced politics.

7. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Oh yeah! That sign was indeed right on the I-5 in the Mountains south of Ashland.

8. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Because it makes hateful and bigoted assumptions and generalizations that are not accurate or truthful. It's insulting to many people who come here and to my father who is great man, husband, father, and American.

Further likes this.
  9. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I agree that we should vet folks that want to come to our nation. Mostly to make sure they don’t want to do us harm and that they want to work. After those criteria are met, I accept people from vastly differing backgrounds with vastly different ideas as I believe in America the better ideas will win out. I am not afraid of bad ideas as long as they aren’t dangerous people. I have no idea what marvelous advancements will come from new ways of thinking.

10. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

The “good old days”.........when McCall was more Democrat than the registered Republican he was and his successor, Bob Straub was more Republican than the registered Democrat he was. Not only did they like and support each other, both those guys had the respect and (up to a point) cooperation from both sides of the aisle. I can’t even imagine anything like that today.

11. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    You say it is. I say it is not. No way am I trying to start an argument. But I do see the time being different, the reason being different, and the results being different, the need being different.

12. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    You are right. Back in that day you could vote for the best man and not be wrong. I remember several democrats that were good people.

It appears to me that day is gone.

13. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Her in CA, many republicans are extreme pissed at the R party because they promised lower taxes but Because residents can no longer write off state taxes they end up paying more. The owner of a Winery I know said he’s going to pay $55K more than he would have before the “cut”. He’s pretty wealthy but was also a R donor but said he’s done with politics.