How do we win game 2?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Apr 20, 2014.

1. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I expect Harden to put up 40 and Howard with a 30/20 for Game Two. However, if we can limit Parsons, then we may have a chance.

2. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Just the way he likes it.

3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I would guess they plan to double Aldridge more, so our 3 point shooting will be big for us next game. Would like to see us throw in a new wrinkle off of the double instead of the customary kick out and swing it around. Cutter down the lane, something like that.

4. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    This is exactly the way I want to see it too. I know we can have that "kick out", but I would love for a Batum, to drive and hit that mid range shot at the free-throw line, that he's so good at. Or the give and go. More cuts to the basket, then kick out and have as many rebounders in the paint to try and get the board.

Whatever the case, I sure hope Matthews, Batum, Lillard, Mo and whomever else can hit the three shoot 1,000 practice threes a day!

5. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I'm looking for Houston to go for a big blowout win in Game 2. They have something to prove and their backs are against the wall. Harden is going to play a lot better and is probably going to be trying to go off for 30+ pts. We really need to concentrate on stopping Harden and getting him out of the game/offense as much as possible, but when you concentrate on doing that, he tends to try to go off more.

Would like to see Freeland in a backup role get physical with Dwight Howard as well. Really try to get in his head, stop his easy rebound/putbacks. I really liked that strategy of having Wes post up Harden early on in the game.

You have to remember McHale is a bad coach. You have to exploit that. Its their Achillies Heel.

6. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Don't change anything until they stop what's working for us. So, continue to go to Wes & LMA in the post. If they start doubling LMA, which I think they will, then we need a couple good passing lanes for him to kick out quickly. HOU will throw the double while being aware of the passing lanes and will get a few steals off of kick-outs if LMA doesn't make a clean, crisp pass. We need to be prepared for the double to come from multiple positions and be able to run to the right spot on the floor to give LMA an easy person to pass to.

Oddly I like that we haven't resorted to jumping the screen yet. I was really excited to see us do it in the last game of the season! It's something that we'll need to employ, and typically I think it's the best way to guard the P/R, but we won without doing it (much). For now hold it as an ace to use when it's needed most.

7. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I thought Houston would feast on the open 3 shot if we jumped the screen?

8. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Before thinking about how the Blazers will adjust, we have to think about what the Rockets will do. I think that regardless of Beverly health, they will play Lin a lot more. Beverly has been solved by Lillard, that has been solidly demonstrated, so the benefit of that matchup now swings totally towards the Blazers. But by playing Lin instead, They will be forcing Lillard, who is not a good defender, to have to chase around a much better offensive player in Lin. I still think Lillard comes out a victor, but the added scoring will help out Harden who has yet to solve Matthews.

I also think that the Rockets will try and play Asik more, putting him on LMA to slow LMA down. This is risky, as Howard and Asik bump into eachother, but it seems like their one real shot at hampering our superstar, LMA.

So, for both of these expected adjustments by the rockets, I think the key will become Matthews, Batum and Williams answering the on the offensive end of the court. They need to take more of a scoring burden and use LMA and Lillard a little more as decoys.

9. Eastoff

I missed the first quarter, but why do you think Houston will use the Howard Asik match up better in the second game if it failed in the first? I know Asik got into foul trouble fast though, but I'd assume it'll happen again.

10. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

Not that the refs will be biased toward a team, but they could play a huge part in the outcome of the game according to how they call fouls on the bigs. Lopez, LA, Asik, and D12 all had issue staying on the court last night.

11. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I want to see Lillard attack Beverley. That knee has got to hurt.

12. Eastoff

Yeah if you can force Beverley to cover some nasty cross overs, Beverley is going to start feeling it!

13. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Shit, not even worried. The guy is hobbled now. He won't be a factor anymore this year. Let the Rockets think he can go so he does, playing 70% or some shit. It's a win for us.

14. Eastoff

It screams of Brandon Roy game 4 in the playoffs. He's going to wreck his knees.

15. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

It would be borderline malpractice to clear Beverley to play. He has a tear in his knee, and he had to be helped off of the court. I can't stand the guy, but at some point, the Houston organization has to think about his future, because as we all know, things go downhill very quickly for players who continue to try and play on a knee that has some tears in the meniscus.

16. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I keep posting the same thing in the Houston forum, but they all assure me he's the Wolverine with magical healing powers.

17. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Lillard was blowing by him at will even before Beverley was helped off of the court.

18. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Frankly, I think Beverley playing only helps us. Dame has figured him out. Lin, meanwhile, gives us all kinds of trouble with his drives.

19. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Yep. I feel bad for him, to be honest.

20. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Exactly

They can play Beverley hurt all they want. Lillard will just continue to abuse him and that knee.