OT How do you deal with stress?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Jade Falcon, Feb 27, 2019.

1. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    :cool2:
    OK.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I cause havoc on here.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

Just speaking personally, in the 4 or so years I've been here, you and I have only had one bad argument that I can recall. I don't have a problem with you, Bones. If anything, I appreciate you arguing with @KingSpeed and his outlandish positivity, lol. And no, I don't have a problem with King....he annoys me, but it's nothing personal against him, and nothing I can't live with. I think I'm on his ignore list anyways...

Two people only really bother me on this forum. One is on my ignore list, and I'm considering putting the other on there as well. And you're not anywhere near that list, so no worries. :cheers:

BonesJones likes this.
  4. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I rely on my bartender.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  5. BonesJones

I guess I shouldve said I cause havoc for the same 4 posters haha.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

FTFY

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  7. BonesJones

Nah.

8. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I get the credit for singlehandedly ruining the OT for @BonesJones !
    How's that for havoc?

BonesJones and Jade Falcon like this.
  9. Jade Falcon

Hey fams, I thought I would update my stress war.

Keeping busy certainly helps. Also counseling, which I've been in for a couple of months now, and I love it. I've also, as of late, been very active in car drive-ins, and in fact I'm going to one tomorrow. It's for the local chapter of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club, $20 entry fee. Here's some pictures of my baby all cleaned and polished a few weeks ago. I'll be doing the same thing tomorrow morning before the show, and then applying a spray wax coating when I get there.

0723191424[1].jpg

0723191424a[1].jpg

0723191424b[2].jpg

She's rough around the edges, and she needs work, but for now this is the best I can do. By my estimations, there is about $1,000 worth of work that needs to be done; everything from a new AC Delco antennae to a new windshield. As well as fixing some minor rear bumper damage and getting the paint restored. Mechanically, it's in okay shape, but the brake light and ABS light keep coming on, and the front left wheel bearing needs to be replaced (mechanic wants $330 for that, which I can't afford).

The engine bay is beyond filthy, but I'm going to have the guys at Epic Auto Detailing do that at a later date, as well as an "express detail" for $100. I couldn't get a scheduled time in this week to do it. So tomorrow, I'm vacuuming the car with a shop vac, and cleaning the rims with Black Magic Chrome Wheel Cleaner (which is God's gift to chrome wheels everywhere). As well as some Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel on the tires.

I'm going to shampoo the carpets and clean the leather interior at a later date as well.

After the show in Boring ends at 3, I might drive out to McMinnville and cruise through the McMinnville Cruise In there as well. But I'm gonna see how I feel first. That's a lot of driving.

Here's hoping your weekend goes swimmingly.

And if I don't win anything tomorrow....it's Sly's fault. That damn meddling dog!

10. Lanny

You don't use paste wax with carnauba? That's what you should use.
    If it's gonna rain, try some Rain-X on the front windshield before it rains. Makes the water bead up beautifully.
    I once had a 77 T-Bird I wanted to sell. I took it to one of those car washes where you stick in quarters and it turns on a wash that flows through a hose and into a wand which you use to do the washing yourself. I power sprayed on the entire engine until it looked like new. All I had to do was oil up the mechanical linkage and let it sit and dry out so it would start and run properly. Sold the car easily. I've done that with three other cars with no problems and I kept those cars for years.

11. Jade Falcon

It's a spray-on wax with Carnauba in it. Griots Best Of Show Spray Wax:

[​IMG]

Not cheap. I paid about $15 for a 22 oz bottle at AutoZone. Never used spray wax before, but I'll take it with me and use it there. Got a bunch of clean microfiber towels in the trunk.

I have Rain-X, and I don't think it agreed with my windshield wipers (both new). I got a lot of grinding on the windshield, as well as streaking, when my wipers were on. That might have something to do with the new wiper arm I had installed though....the old one was broken, and this one is an after-market part, not from AC Delco.

I've been advised by others on a Cadillac forum not to powerwash the motor. Someone else also suggested taking it to a coin-operated car wash and doing that, but I sought a second opinion. These older Northstars are finicky, and I don't want to risk it. So if I do wash it, it's going to be with soft water. But I don't have a water faucet at my apartment, so I probably have to use the one at my sister's place, or hook up an extension to my parents garden hose and use it there.

12. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    I hunt out and read @SlyPokerDog 's snarky remarks and everything is OK in the world.

SlyPokerDog and Jade Falcon like this.
  13. Jade Falcon

Oh be not fooled, ye ol' Blazer Brother. When you're not looking, he'll push you over a row of seats at Moda. Ask me how I know.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  14. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    If you are in need of a quick detailer then it's hard to beat Duragloss Aquawax. It is available through Advance Auto Parts (needs to be ordered in) as it is one of the slickest quick detailers on the market. I use to use Clearkote's Quickshine but they company went out of business and this is the closest I have found to it and makes the car just pop and feel extremely slick. Most people don't think you can get white to pop, but using Duragloss Clearkote Polish 111 which is a paint sealant and then top it with P21S which is a pure Carnuaba to give it the deep wet and warm glow that carnauba's are known for.

Tre's Cadillac.jpg

Navigator.jpg

Dad's 40 Ford Pickup.jpg
    I have been a detail hobbyist for several years and have tried tons of product. If you really want to go to the next level Porter Cable makes a great dual action polisher that does an excellent job and is safe enough that it won't burn through your paint like an electric polisher can do. That, some quality polished and waxes, some foam pads for various applications and a ton of microfiber towels and you can make a car really pop.

15. Jade Falcon

Wow, those are gorgeous! I think you said the Cadillac belonged to your.....son? You would have liked this Cadillac drive in I went to today; about 20 or so gorgeous Caddys. I even met a guy named Keith who does Elvis impersonations. Drove a black '53(?) Fleetwood.

I'll check out these products. I don't have a credit card to order them though, so I'm pretty much stuck with what I can afford at AutoZone. I tried this Griot's wax today....did gorgeous work! Unfortunately, I was too lazy to take any pictures. But the paint looked amazing after I wiped the car down with a clean microfiber towel.

I'm going to grease up the tires tomorrow with Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel, and wipe off some minor water streaks on the rims.

Question: can I use spray-on wax on the vinyl top? I decided not to risk it today. Not sure if I need a specialized cleaner for that; though it looks fine as is, I would still like to give it a nice polish as well.

16. Lanny

1. Rain-X is a composition of acetone and water. I just can't see how acetone could streak your windows or grind your windows;
    2. I've power washed the engines of three different types of cars with no problems. I might worry about it washing off the paint on some items because of the power in the jet of water but I can't imagine any complications. I've done it for years. I seem to recall that they even offer an engine wash switch on the power washer.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  17. CupWizier

retired
    Thanks. It takes a lot of work but the reward of a nice looking car is worth it. The Cadillac was my sons, the Navigator is mine and the 40 Ford truck was my dads. As for using spray wax on a vinyl top, i would avoid that as some waxes will seal the pores on the vinyl and not allow it to breath. There are some products specifically for vinyl tops. Might check in the Cadillac forum for recommendations.

Your Caddy is nice looking and i have always loved that color. Their pearl white has always been eye catching as well. Those Northstars definitely has some power.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  18. CupWizier

retired
    Rain x doesn't have acetone in it as that would cause havoc on the paint. It contains denatured alcohol and isopropyl alcohol as the carrier as well as silicones for the repellant.

19. Lanny

Wikipedia says you're mistaken.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain-X

20. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I tried those rainex wipers and wasn't real pleased. They streaked and squeaked....just like an old girl friend growing up did.

Jade Falcon likes this.