How Long Have You Been A Warriors Fan?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by SIXPAK GQ, May 4, 2007.

1. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

about 12 hours

2. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I have been a Warriors fan since I was a kid, my dad and older brother would watch them, I maybe started when I was like 10 or 11, so something like 1987.

I believed then. I still do!

3. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I am truly the graybeard here. I've been a fan since the days of Nate Thurmond and Rick Barry, going back to '69-'70.

I remember loving Nate Thurmond and how he was one of the best defensive centers in the league (Kareem/Lew Alcinder called him the guy who played him the toughest). When they traded Nate to the Cavs, it broke this little kid's heart. But guess what? Somehow with George Johnson (great 'fro) and Clifford Ray, they became a championship team with of course, Phil Smith and Jamaal Wilkes helping Barry.

I remember watching the '75 Finals on tape-delay starting at 11:30 p.m. at night and somehow the Warriors swept a great Bullets team with Unseld, the Big "E", Phil Chenier and Bobby Dandridge.

Funny thing is, in '75-76, the Warriors should have won back to back, they had the best record in the West and somehow lost to the Phoenix Suns.

Sorry to get so nostalgic.

4. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">philsmith75 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Sorry to get so nostalgic.</div>

I don't think anyone minds a bit. [​IMG]

Well, I am in the middle of most of you. I was never into NBA basketball as a kid growing up. Sure, I'd watch Jordan, if I saw the Bulls playing on TV, but other than that I don't think I had ever heard of the Warriors.

Back in the '01-'02 season when Jordan was making his "farewell tour", my best friend said he desperately wanted to see Jordan play in person before he retired. The Wizards happened to be coming to Oakland in March, near my friend's birthday, so I jumped on eBay to look for tickets. I found a pair for $350, which compared to other auctions was a pretty fair price. Then he came over to my house (after I already had the tickets in hand) and was all freaked out about finding tickets. He didn't know I was going to surprise him with tix. So he says, "Dude, we need to get tickets FAST!" So, to humor him, I brought up eBay and searched for tickets. Well, as we were searching, I found the Warriors/Wizards game, + 4 other games for $450! I'm thinking, "****, that's a way better deal than what I got![​IMG] " My friend was saying we should get those! Of course I agreed, but I had the other tickets already. So, I showed him that I had bought the tickets, and of course he was happy, but we decided to win this auction anyway and he would pay the $100 difference. Then I could just put my pair back up for sale. Sounds great, but once we purchased the ticket pack, Jordan hurt his freakin' knee! He was to be out for at least 3 weeks, which was right when they were due to play us. I put my tickets back on eBay, with a starting bid of only $200.00. They didn't even get a sniff of a bid! I couldn't give these tix away, once everyone heard Jordan was out. Now I'm stuck paying $700 for 4 tix that aren't worth ****!

I ended up selling them to my roommate and her dad for $75, and I ate the rest. There is a happy ending to all of this though. With the other 4 games (which my friend and I split) I took a girl I met at work to the Warriors/Mavs on March 16th for our first date. We had a lot of fun, even though the Warriors lost. My friend and I also had a lot of fun at the games we went to together, and decided to look into season tickets. We were sitting in the lower bowl, around row 20 checking out some available seats with one of the Warriors agents. My friend pointed to some seats in row 8 that were available (marked with a seat cover). We went down there and sat in those seats, imagining the 43 home games we'd be seeing from there. It was an easy sale [​IMG]

We had a blast for that season, and I assumed we would be renewing, but my friend bailed on me because he was "getting married and buying a house". WHATEVER DUDE! But I didn't want to give up. I put an ad on craigslist looking for someone to split the season with me. I found a partner, we moved back to row 17 where the seats were a little cheaper, and I partnered with him for 3 years. This season, the Warriors jacked the prices up from $25/seat to $38/seat for our seats. My partner got pissed and said, "I'm not paying that for a team that hasn't even made the playoffs for over a decade!" Again, I wasn't going to give up so easily. I decided to pony up the full amount for both tickets myself and sell about 1/2 the games this season (via eBay and craigslist) so that I was still only paying for 1/2 the season. The beauty of them making the playoffs now is just sweet beyond belief. Now I get the playoff tickets all to myself [​IMG]

Oh, and the girl that I brought to that first game back in '02? Yeah, she's still my girlfriend and comes to almost every game with me. [​IMG]

5. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Wild Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think anyone minds a bit. [​IMG]

Well, I am in the middle of most of you. I was never into NBA basketball as a kid growing up. Sure, I'd watch Jordan, if I saw the Bulls playing on TV, but other than that I don't think I had ever heard of the Warriors.

Back in the '01-'02 season when Jordan was making his "farewell tour", my best friend said he desperately wanted to see Jordan play in person before he retired. The Wizards happened to be coming to Oakland in March, near my friend's birthday, so I jumped on eBay to look for tickets. I found a pair for $350, which compared to other auctions was a pretty fair price. Then he came over to my house (after I already had the tickets in hand) and was all freaked out about finding tickets. He didn't know I was going to surprise him with tix. So he says, "Dude, we need to get tickets FAST!" So, to humor him, I brought up eBay and searched for tickets. Well, as we were searching, I found the Warriors/Wizards game, + 4 other games for $450! I'm thinking, "****, that's a way better deal than what I got![​IMG] " My friend was saying we should get those! Of course I agreed, but I had the other tickets already. So, I showed him that I had bought the tickets, and of course he was happy, but we decided to win this auction anyway and he would pay the $100 difference. Then I could just put my pair back up for sale. Sounds great, but once we purchased the ticket pack, Jordan hurt his freakin' knee! He was to be out for at least 3 weeks, which was right when they were due to play us. I put my tickets back on eBay, with a starting bid of only $200.00. They didn't even get a sniff of a bid! I couldn't give these tix away, once everyone heard Jordan was out. Now I'm stuck paying $700 for 4 tix that aren't worth ****!

I ended up selling them to my roommate and her dad for $75, and I ate the rest. There is a happy ending to all of this though. With the other 4 games (which my friend and I split) I took a girl I met at work to the Warriors/Mavs on March 16th for our first date. We had a lot of fun, even though the Warriors lost. My friend and I also had a lot of fun at the games we went to together, and decided to look into season tickets. We were sitting in the lower bowl, around row 20 checking out some available seats with one of the Warriors agents. My friend pointed to some seats in row 8 that were available (marked with a seat cover). We went down there and sat in those seats, imagining the 43 home games we'd be seeing from there. It was an easy sale [​IMG]

We had a blast for that season, and I assumed we would be renewing, but my friend bailed on me because he was "getting married and buying a house". WHATEVER DUDE! But I didn't want to give up. I put an ad on craigslist looking for someone to split the season with me. I found a partner, we moved back to row 17 where the seats were a little cheaper, and I partnered with him for 3 years. This season, the Warriors jacked the prices up from $25/seat to $38/seat for our seats. My partner got pissed and said, "I'm not paying that for a team that hasn't even made the playoffs for over a decade!" Again, I wasn't going to give up so easily. I decided to pony up the full amount for both tickets myself and sell about 1/2 the games this season (via eBay and craigslist) so that I was still only paying for 1/2 the season. The beauty of them making the playoffs now is just sweet beyond belief. Now I get the playoff tickets all to myself [​IMG]

Oh, and the girl that I brought to that first game back in '02? Yeah, she's still my girlfriend and comes to almost every game with me. [​IMG]</div>

Good story. P.S. have you tried stub-hub for selling your unused tickets? I heard that's a good way to go. Oh, and if you need to give away any of those playoffs seats for round 2, just let me know [​IMG]

6. Wild Child

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Good story. P.S. have you tried stub-hub for selling your unused tickets? I heard that's a good way to go. Oh, and if you need to give away any of those playoffs seats for round 2, just let me know [​IMG]</div>

Thanks! [​IMG] Yeah, I was going to go with stubhub this year, but was selling them so fast to friends and such on my own that I only needed to put a few on eBay and craigslist. I may use stubhub next season. And if I need to give away any of my playoff seats, you'll be first on the list [​IMG]

7. Wild Child

I was just looking at some archives from the March 16, 2002 game with the Mavs/Warriors when Nellie was THEIR coach. Found some interesting quotes:

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Postgame...s_March_16.html

Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki:

We have to really pick it up from the beginning. The Warriors scored 33 points in the first quarter and our defense saved us in the third quarter. We can?t allow that in the playoffs, we have to clamp down during the whole game not just the third quarter.

Lately the Warriors have been running more and we wanted to get back defensively in transition and make them play a half court game. We also wanted to get out and run ourselves to get some easy shots and that is what we did during the second half.

Warriors forward Antawn Jamison:

The thing about them, is that from the one to the five, they all can run the floor, all can pass the ball, and the can really shoot the ball. It makes it hard to out score them, and they do kind of lull you into running up and down the court. Tonight we did an excellent job in the first half, we just didn?t come out and play the way we needed to in the beginning of the third period.

Warriors forward Troy Murphy:

On how it feels to get the start: It doesn?t feel good because we lost. We played well for a half and then we came out flat at the beginning of the third quarter. They went on a run and that was it. They shot the ball real well, LaFrentz especially. Nowitzki, you expect that from him. They?re a great shooting team.

8. xplicitjc

xplicitjc cold as a hooker's heart

proud to say that i have been with the warriors through thick and thin since 1991 when i was just 8 years old...GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. oaktank88

oaktank88 JBB JustBBall Member

I've been a die hard fan since 1992. I was four years old and my dad was a die hard fan and i guess he made me one too haha.

10. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Um, hi, my name is Ford_11 and im a warriors fan since the raps got knocked out of the playoffs...lol. I liked the warriors since 03. I liked jay rich, and plus i laways like stephen jackson, i was just hoping him and artet would be on the ame team ,and all the wacky adventures they would get into. and baron is just amazing. So its been about 2 hours, and im ready to support the warriors. I belive.

11. Char

Char JBB Nowitzness

I 've been a warriors fan for a while. I grew up in the Bay Area, during the Run-TMC era. I went to a number of Warriors games, and I remeber scoring sweet seats behind the Denver bench when the Nuggets came to town a few years ago when Melo was a rookie.

I don't live in the Bay Area any more, but seeing the Warriors spank the Mavericks is so sweet, and a long time coming, and it couldn't have been done with a better coach.

Now I am rooting for the Warriors to take the Western confernence playoffs.

12. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Probably since the Arenas days.

13. SIXPAK GQ

SIXPAK GQ JBB JustBBall Member

warriors have been put down plenty in bay area.

most of the fans I met were laker fans in bay area. most bandwagon fans. they would not talk about the lakers when they were doing bad..

now where are the lakers fans??? where is kobe?

14. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Legacy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Probably since the Arenas days.</div>

Probably? [​IMG]

15. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

I became a Warriors fan about 14 hours ago when Houston lost to Jazz. I hope Warriors stick a fork upside Boozer's ass. I hate Boozer!

16. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I'm not actually a Warriors fan, but they're one of my most respected teams along with Toronto, Utah and Portland. I respect their fans and their history. Also, they were the first team I ever seen live in 1996 when I watched them face my Bulls at the United Center. Good times back then and now they're getting better for all of you Warriors fans. Good luck against Utah.

17. Legacy

Legacy Beast

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Probably? [​IMG]</div>

My estimate guess. [​IMG]

18. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Umair Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I became a Warriors fan about 14 hours ago when Houston lost to Jazz. I hope Warriors stick a fork upside Boozer's ass. I hate Boozer!</div>
    So you are a fan of 3 teams? Pick one!

19. DTKennedy

DTKennedy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">boogielew Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Oh no I am the ancient one here.
    </div>

Actually, we're the same demographic [​IMG]

20. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

My guess is possibly by the time the Finals roll around and if the opposing team is Detroit or Cleveland.