Forum Game How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Jul 2, 2017.

?

How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

1. One more summer

26 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Two more summers

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Three or more

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Olshey doesn't like it here and hasn't made any bones about it. Everyone that works around him knows it and he doesn't even try to hide it. Tough to sell Portland when you would rather be in LA.

2. Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds Active Member

Not the worst team in the division.

Free agency isn't even over.

He had a great 2016. And 2017 is looking pretty good also with Collins and Swanigan.

3. Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds Active Member

Must be why he turns down interviews and doesn't push the company to let him interview elsewhere. Paul Allen is the type of guy to let someone mail it in and force them to work for him anyway.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  4. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

How much longer does he have on his contract?

5. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    when he signed all that mediocre talent in the last offseason, i thought he wasnt long for this world. Then the Nurk trade fell into his lap and he has basically all but admitted we need upgrades and doesnt even say Meyers name anymore.

he's learning.

Jade Falcon and Dougnsalem like this.
  6. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    If he doesn't like it here with an owner that is willing to cater to his every whim.... then maybe he should take his valet parking loving butt back to the Clippers. The front offices of other organizations are littered with competent people who will never get a shot. Always easy to set up some interviews from their ranks. Billy Beane was a part time scout. Theo Epstein was working while attending an Ivy League school. You can find competency anywhere.

Jade Falcon and OneLifeToLive like this.
  7. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, he is holding this team hostage due to the way he thinks and feels. Also by sheer incompetence.

Or he didn't want to go to Atlanta. This relationship with Neil very well could be a perfect working relationship that allows Allen to make most of the decisions while Neil sits back and waits to get instruction from him. I just can't see why he could be so in love with the job he has done. Unless it's a situation that the owner is making all decisions and Olshey is the just a puppet doing what he says.

You can't be in love with what Neil is done. Not even close. Total disappointment.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  8. OneLifeToLive

Id be willing to bring Chad Buchanan back. He atleast was able to broker a deal that netted the #6, Okur and Shawne Williams for Gerald Wallace. We all know what #6 brought.

Jade Falcon and ripcityboy like this.
  9. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Not me. After Nolan Smith & trading Miller away - no way would I want him back.

10. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

The funny thing is the only great move the guy has made was almost by accident. When he picked up Nurkic, the press conference was all about the value of the pick included in the deal; he definitely did not think that Jusuf was prize. Then there's all of the stuff he does on purpose that has me worried: Parsons, Turner, Crabbe, MyLe, et al.

The Jusuf 'happy accident' bought him some time, but without that deal would there be any great reason for him to still have a job?

11. OneLifeToLive

He at least proved that he could structure, broker and close a deal. He was able to sell it off. This General Manager really struggles.

If I'm going to replace him. I'm looking to upgrade. Chad isn't an upgrade, so it wouldn't be that direction.

12. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

Uhhhh hold up. Not better than Paul George. Chill. That trade was straight up luck on Neil's end. Nobody knew nurk would perform the way he did with minutes. We had ideas but it just worked out luckily. I don't give Neil much credit for that aside from getting another first rounder with him

Jade Falcon, BonesJones and TBpup like this.
  13. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

If getting drafting Dame, CJ and finding players like Crabbe or Barton in the 2nd round is lacking creativity, Then I'm all for not being creative

We all know who made that pick

Orion Bailey and 42N8Bounce like this.
  14. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

I'm not ready to panic just yet.

Here's a look at the average PERs for Starters (and Bench) from the end of last year (2017):
    GSW 20.4 (bench=11.5)
    LAC 19.1 (13.0)
    CLE 18.9 (11.6)
    UTH 18.6 (10.7)
    TOR 18.5 (13.4)
    WAS 17.9 (10.5)
    SAS 17.9 (14.9)
    POR 17.8 (11.5)
    BOS 17.7 (12.1)
    MIN 17.6 (10.2)
    HOU 17.5 (16.1)
    CHI 17.4 (13.6)
    NOH 17.2 (13.0)
    IND 16.5 (13.4)
    DEN 16.5 (15.7)
    ORL 16.4 (10.8)
    CHA 16.4 (13.9)
    NYK 15.9 (16.2)
    MIL 15.9 (13.5)
    PHO 15.9 (12.2)
    ATL 15.6 (11.7)
    MEM 15.6 (12.4)
    DET 15.6 (12.3)
    OKC 15.4 (12.5)
    DAL 15.1 (13.3)
    MIA 14.9 (11.4)
    BRK 14.0 (11.4)
    LAL 13.6 (11.9)
    PHI 13.2 (11.8)
    SAC 13.1 (14.5)

Portland had the 8th best group of starters according to PER (yes, not the perfect measurement, but good.). Lillard (24.1 PER), McCollum (19.9), Nurkic (21.1), Harkless (13.1), and Vonleh (10.8). Give that team a full year run (healthy), and I expect good things.

Just thru internal improvement with Nurk, Harkless and Vonleh, the Blazers should improve their Starter performance. Nurk is only 22, Harkless is 23, and Vonleh is 21. The peak age for PER is 26. Typically there's a 7.3% increase in PER from age 22 to 26.

PerAge.jpg

Our primary contributors off the bench (25th in the league by the way, ugh.) were Aminu, Crabbe, Turner, and Leonard. I fully expect Davis to return to his pre-injury form and help that second unit out considerably. His PER last year was 11.5. For 2016 it was 18.7. Career 16.8. No reason not to expect Davis to step up. Turner was also injured, but not sure how much more he can realistically contribute. His PER last year was 11.4. Career 12.3. Although they're rookies, I expect Collins and/or Swanigan to significantly push Vonleh for that starting spot.

I'm excited. Yes, we haven't yet made a free-agent signing this off-season. But I don't think that was ever expected to be the Blazers biggest option for improvement. We have a young team with a solid starting lineup, with plenty of opportunity to improve internally. Hold this core together, with perhaps some strategic tweaks here and there, and let's see how high they can take us!

15. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

It's easy to say he fucked up on his bad moves but his good moves were luck.

For all i'm concerned he can stay as long as he wants to

16. OneLifeToLive

That pick was made before he signed on the dotted line.

BonesJones likes this.
  17. OneLifeToLive

I know a lot of you are high on him. But we still don't know what we have with Nurk. I'm not ready to pin my hopes on him just yet.

18. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Things really have gone wrong that are not his fault. First LMA was leaving but if he traded the guy before he knew for sure he would have been crucified. Everyone here whether you liked Aldridge or not knows this base would have turned real quick. Remember Aldridge said he was staying right up to the last game of the season. I'm gonna break all Clyde's records he said. Mathews got hurt. Batum played hurt for pretty much the entire season.
    Then he had to try to rebuild. A team that was supposed to be in the lottery made the second round instead of giving Olshey a solid draft prospect. No pick and no real assets. But because they performed so well he was again forced to pay a few guys and hope they progressed so he could move who he wanted and keep who had become good. I personally would not have paid Crabbe but if AC would have performed it could have worked well. Leonard played last season hurt and did not improve. Pretty much came into camp right out of shoulder surgery and then never got it going. Crabbe didn't excel the way most hoped he would. Turner got hurt and he dropped off pretty bad as soon as he was starting to make an impact. He did get Nurkic for Plumlee and he also drafted both Dame and CJ. But even Nurkic broke a leg. What's a GM to do?

As i understand he made a solid play for Paul George. But KP would have none of it. Boston got the same cold shoulder. Olshey used a couple picks and the fan base is pretty hopeful on both of them. If one turns out to be a solid role player this year he has done excellent.

Fact is Neil Olshey has done as well as any GM in his position could have done IMO. Yes some people have ideas that he might have done differently but in the end he is in a position to continue to improve from last year, injuries permitting. I say Neil Olshey has as many years left as he wants to continue to try to bring a solid club to the NBA conference finals. If you get that far anything can happen. It takes some solid players and a bunch of luck to win a championship. Look at Golden States first championship. They won that with a bunch of luck. Every team they faced had a pretty major injury. They they lost and added a MVP. They win again. Portland needs to win some games and continue to progress.
    Neil will be here at least two more years.....

19. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

Im high on him but don't think he's the second coming like a lot on this forum. Has potential to be a star but I wanna see him play a whole season. Have concerns about his injury also. Big guy.

20. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Actually, they won it with the #1 defense and tied for the #1 offense. Trying to boil this down to luck of the draw and why not Portland next is a really bad way to rationalize away the fact that Portland simply isn't anywhere close to good enough to contend right now. When Portland has a top-5 offense and a top-5 defense (or even top-10 in each), then we can start wondering if maybe things will go their way.

mook and Nikolokolus like this.