Forum Game How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Jul 2, 2017.

?

How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

1. One more summer

26 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Two more summers

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Three or more

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I simply disagree with your choice for the quote. GS did breeze through the playoffs in the 14-15 season getting a bunch of luck when teams were injured. That is the point. Not what you are extrapolating. The statement was "getting to the conference finals and anything can happen."
    Don't cherry pick and make your own conclusion about what was said.
    What was said is if you "get some solid players and a bunch of luck."

2. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I have no problem with the moves Olshey has made as GM other than re-signing Leonard. That one was bad, unless he's able to use some Jedi mind tricks to get another GM give him something of value for Meyers.

3. kjironman1

I agree. Not sure i would have matched Crabbe either but that is just me.

4. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Honestly I think this is kind of a lame question to ask. I know people have binders for complaining about the contracts of Turner and Crabbe but if you look at the bigger picture as inthe roster as a whole and the history as a GM, what exactly has he done that merits a hot seat at this point? Over pay? Overall the collective work has been pretty good. To the point that when his name came up in another teams GM search the last few months he was regarded as an "elite" NBA GM, yet in here we think he's trash.

Eastoff, BBert, RR7 and 4 others like this.
  5. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Calln BS on this accident narrative. Sure Nurk blew up bigger / faster than anyone thought but he was most certainly a target. Olshey's crew is big on advanced stats and Nurk fit the mold of a diamond in the ruff. The whole PR thing was simply Neil trying his best to not make the Nuggets crew look bad, imho.

Eastoff, BBert, UKRAINEFAN and 4 others like this.
  6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Denver is going to be paying a 35 year old 30 million per to NOT make the playoffs!! That deal wreaks of desperation.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  7. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Neil's got me on a buffalo! BUFFFFFFALLOOOOooohhh

8. kjironman1

Well from most of the responses "We" don't think he is trash. I totally agree with you on that. Olshey is not and should not be on the hot seat at all.

9. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I don't think Olshey is trash but do think it is completely reasonable to question some of his moves....as it is reasonable to praise him for some solid to very good Draft picks.

10. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

If this team isn't competing at the trade deadline for playoff seed of 6 or higher, it's time to let him go and give another GM a crack at fixing last summers' debacle.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

His drafting has saved him. Draft skill is the most important thing in a GM IMO. I think this year's draft class will be a big success as well. He's ahead of par on his trading as well. The Nurkic trade more than made up for the Afflalo fiasco, and he's made some good moves to get in decent players like Harkless, Lopez and Plumlee.

The black mark on his record is free agency. He's been horrendous, with some of his worst ambitions thankfully not materializing (going after Hawes, Hibbert, Parsons). And of course, his 2016 FA pertiod was was by far the worst $$ to value ratio in Blazer history.

I wouldn't can him just for that though. Portland is not even going to have money to spend in free agency for a long time anyway. If he starts wiffing year after year in the draft though, and fails to improve the team in other ways, I'd want to start looking for a new gm.

12. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Imagine what would happen if he had played more than 65 games a season. He would have developed even more and would be up there with LeBron right now.

13. Sinobas

I tend to agree. Was he the only GM in the league that knew how good Nurkic was? If we could go back in time, teams would probably be offering Denver guys like Jimmy Butler and Paul George for Nurkic. But he made the deal so I give him credit.

14. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I agree it's fair to question bad moves. Shouldn't all be praise.

What bothers me some is saying he didn't know what he was getting in nurkic, because then people can spin anything to fit their negative view of him. And also, using free agents that didn't sign here against him. We have no idea what they would have done had they come here. If we use moves that didn't materialize in his negative column, should we then also praise him for pursuing Whiteside, for making an offer on paul George, for trying to trade up for porzingas? It would seem silly to, no?

BBert, GriLtCheeZ and 42N8Bounce like this.
  15. Sinobas

Right, we could well have 4/5ths of a very good lineup right now.

16. Sinobas

How many teams attract free agents due to their market location alone? I think the Lakers, Knicks are the only ones really. The others attract FAs due to their success. When Portland was good back in the late 90s guys wanted to come here.

17. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Cmon, man. Nurk is a great addition, but Butler and George are on a completely higher level. Milsap arguably is as well.

theprunetang likes this.
  18. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I think Olshey should get tgrough the season. If he can make some changes at the deadline, we can revisit it

19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Yeah, but that's wrong, IMO. You need more than "some solid players" and luck. The Warriors had the most talented team in basketball. That was the most important thing. That they also had luck with injuries was not the important thing. In my opinion, you're ignoring that the Warriors were tremendously talented (by implying that all they had was "some solid players" and what really won them the title was luck). The Blazers aren't anywhere near that talented and no amount of "luck" will overcome that.

20. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    He's in year 3 of a rebuilding plan. I say he gets at least 5 years. I am not at all unhappy with the progress so far.

This draft looks good, the team looks really good when Nurk is healthy. NO deserves the credit for getting Nurk, no?

I've been impressed with him all along. This might be because he's SOOOO much better than the clowns in Chicago, or it might be because he's as good as I think he is.

The cash for Quarterman deal was just brilliant. It shows he's on top of the financials and CBA issues.