Forum Game How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Jul 2, 2017.

?

How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

1. One more summer

26 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Two more summers

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Three or more

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Yes you are right on that. You need a couple stars maybe even three and a really good supporting cast. Not just solid players. I see where you are coming from.

Minstrel likes this.
  2. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

This line on Neil I don't don't find very convincing. Dame and CJ were drafted near to all mock draft expectations of their value. Congrats for not screwing it up.

Free agency has been a disaster for him, there's no kind way of saying it. If you can't do half you job well, this team can't compete for a championship.

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I see Olshey similarly to Stotts: he's been good at times and bad at times. He's not one of the very best in the league, but he's competent. Just as with Stotts, I don't really think he should be let go until/unless the team has someone better lined up to replace him. I don't really believe in firing for the visceral satisfaction--fire because you have someone better to take over the job. (Unless the person in question does something so egregious that it wouldn't be appropriate to continue employing them, but that isn't relevant here.)

4. kjironman1

To be fair please tell us what teams "Free Agency" has been kind to? Then do the math on the percentage of teams that is. If it's less than 20% then you might have to look at that statement and revise your thinking?

HailBlazers and riverman like this.
  5. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Let's see...why would the GM of a Basketball Team be on the hot seat?
    From the owner's perspective:
    Attendance: Never less than 96% capacity in his 5 years
    Playoffs: Every year except year 1
    2nd Round: As many in 5 years as the previous 20 combined.
    Drafting AllStars/Award Winners: Dame, CJ
    Buzz around the league: Dame is the most nationally-marketable Blazers star since...ever?
    Leaks: Not much fo the Blazers' business gets outside the walls of Team HQ, and when it does, repercussions are quick.

Only downside? What some would call "sausage-making" that just contribues to the things above.
    Money: “Let us worry about the money. You guys worry about the players and how well or how poorly we play and how guys are developing. We’ll worry about how we manage our cap and what guys get paid"
    Free agents chased: Um, yeah. But they didn't sign!
    Player development. Some haven't, but some have, or else you wouldn't have #2, #3 or #4 above

I don't love many of his moves, and I question some of the things he values or goes after, but why on earth would he on the hot seat with PA?

Nhawz, Wizard Mentor, H.C. and 13 others like this.
  6. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Good thing they give out division titles and championships in July, huh?

Take a look at how many of us thought last year that Utah, Houston, OKC and Denver would've finished the season with much worse records than they did.

riverman likes this.
  7. kjironman1

You have a point there.

8. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I don't get this mentality that when moves are questionable he's a terrible GM, but when they are good he was only lucky. That to me is pure desire to see him fail for one reason or another. It's pretty much the Canzano mindset.

9. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Pfffft

10. kjironman1

Canzano - Click Bait John

11. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Dame was the 2nd best player in the draft, taken at #6. That's a hit. CJ was the 2nd best player, taken at #10. You're only really "expected" to get an all-star calibur player if you have a 1 or 2. He also got Crabbe in the 2nd round.

12. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Just to answer a couple guys here who say Olshey lucked into the Nurkic trade and was only interested in the pick.

Here is a quote from his interview after the trade (apparently was not a press conference): "We felt like we needed to get younger at the center position. We wanted more of a low post player, someone that could defend size, strength. We found that with Jusuf. And, look, this is the hard part of the business is you have guys that you get attached ... but you've got to make business decisions. We felt like in the long run this will pay longer dividends, having a young guy on a rookie scale (contract). We manage our cap with it. He gives us a different look defensively. He's a big time rebounder. And I think he'll make the game easier for guys like Dame (Lillard) and CJ (McCollum) because we've got more presence in the paint now defensively."
    It sounds as if he thought Nurkic could make the team better than Plumlee.
    His only mention of a draft pick is in answer to another question concerning the tradeline and he states that we have three draft picks to use one way or another.

And that is a reminder that he did the deals that allowed us to get three picks this year and trade up to get Zach Collins. He has done a lot of good little things that add up. Each time he does something it seems to make sense. But one has to wonder if he should have had a bigger vision. And of course his drafting of Leonard and then re-signing him was terrible. Without that I think most would say he was a pretty damn good GM.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...zers_neil_olshey_were_probably_a_6_point.html

13. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    You make your own luck. It's not like he was sitting in his barcolounger and the trade came crashing through his roof landing in his living room. He went out and found it. Then he pulled the trigger. That's not luck.

HailBlazers likes this.
  14. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    But they only have to pay him for two years.

15. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

I think it's becoming very clear that Neil is still building this team as a rebuild process of slower evolution with young players. I see a lot of other teams making knee jerk trades and building immediate impact teams that will lack sustainability.

16. Nikolokolus

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...zers_neil_olshey_were_probably_a_6_point.html
    In this very same story, there's this:
    And this
    Olshey was pretty guarded about Nurkic. Maybe secretly he was thrilled, but he definitely downplayed his part of the acquisition.

BBert and TBpup like this.
  17. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

I like what Minnesota has done but tou guys are giving the three other teams in our division too much credit.

Denver just invested heavily on a player in the back end of his career. OKC is making a huge gamble on what could be a one year rental. Utah could be losing an All Star.

Pump the brakes fellas. This team was rebuilt on the fly and made the playoffs the past two seasons. Our cap space was out the window regardless after last year.

HailBlazers and dviss1 like this.
  18. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    "We have the benefit of having Paul Allen as an owner. He let us retain all of our players. It wasn't realistic to think we could manage that cap going forward. But what it did do is it put us in a position to keep as much as possible, put us in a position to compete, but knowing at some point we're going to have to make some moves."
    -- Olshey

He's on top of things.

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I just have to SMH with this idea that the Blazers only traded for the pick, Nurkic was merely some kind of throw in, and the Blazers were shocked that he turned out to be good. That's simply ridiculous. There were posters on this site who were begging for a Plumlee -- Nurkic trade for months before it happened. I was ecstatic with getting Nurkic and viewed the pick as a happy bonus. The Blazers scouts and stats guys know more than any poster here, and a shit ton more than me. It's completely implausible that all they wanted was the pick, and they thought Nurk was some kind of scrub. Hell, the talk wasn't IF Nurk was a starter, but whether he should start his first game.

20. Nikolokolus

If I recall most of the people wanting to see Plumlee traded, said so because they didn't want to see the Blazers see yet another asset walk out the door with zero compensation. Olshey blowing his wad on Crabbe, Turner and MyLe made this an absolute necessity.