Forum Game How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Jul 2, 2017.

?

How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

1. One more summer

26 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Two more summers

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Three or more

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

That's 2 years too long.

2. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

I like people hating on the Millsap deal. Who cares what he does in two or three years. If the third year is club option then its great deal since they have the cap space. Same way with JJ getting 23 from the Sixers. Hell even if he got 40 its great since they have the money.

When you have money available you can overpay to make your team better.

3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

There were people on this board that were clamoring for Nurk. If people on the board were clamoring for him, you don't think Olshey knew who he was and what he could do?

I don't buy that at all.

GriLtCheeZ, Dougnsalem and BBert like this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm a fan of Olshey and Stotts....what I want is a better big man coach and defensive coordinator...given those two things we'd see a big difference in how all our young players grow into balanced two way players.

5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

They aren't making the playoffs. That's what's stupid about this deal.

6. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Given the Blazers dearth of qualified centers and Plumlee's impending free agency, they Blazers had to gamble on somebody. I'm not trying to say Nurkic was some colossal scrub, but he was having a very bad season and had been a massive disappointment in Denver. If he hadn't cratered his value with the Nuggets, there's no way they would have had to toss in a pick to sweeten the deal.

riverman and TBpup like this.
  7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Not just walk out but he was an asset and the Blazers needed more size. This was pretty much unanimous. Blazers needed a rim protector. Neil made a move that needed to be made. The pick was a bonus.

8. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

This doesnt make sense unless you can predict the future. And whats wrong about trying? Should they just keep their cap space to show off? What good would that be?

9. kjironman1

Absolutely. They need to replace Kim Hughes. Even more so if they keep Meyers.

riverman likes this.
  10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I completely disagree with this notion. It doesn't make sense and like Judge Judy says, "if it doesn't make sense it's not true".

If posters in here knew who Nurk was and wanted him added to the team, it's safe to say that Olshey and the scouting staff knew too. C'mon.. People in here don't know more about prospective players than NBA scouts and GMs.

BBert and noknobs like this.
  11. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

So how do you know more than the Nuggets GM? :)

12. kjironman1

That is tough to say. Milsap is a quality player and they were right there with the Blazers last year. Not only that but there are other teams that have gotten worse like the Clippers. If the Spurs get rid of Aldridge and lose both Parker and Ginobili they might be middle of the road. An injury or two in the conference and things can change drastically. Denver did get better as well as the T-Wolves. We don't really know what will happen with Boogie in New Orleans?

13. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    You would be surprised what some GMs think about certain players. Having had the opportunity to chat with a few in the caverns of arenas when no fans were around, they have opinions just like we do. They certainly have more information but believe me, none of them were as high on Giannis or Gobert like D69 was. Almost every GM to the last man thought Oden was better than Durant despite the injury concerns and his uneven gate. Most teams thought Draymond was too much of a 'tweener' and passed on him (some passed twice). Some GM thought Anthony Bennett was a #1 pick and that Darko was a better pick than Carmelo, Bosh, Wade etc.

They all have hits an misses but there are people/fans even on this board for a better eye for talent than many GMs I've met over the years.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    BBert, Nhawz, Wizard Mentor and 4 others like this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This is simply not true. Nurk got injured and Jokic played VERY well in his absence. Massive disappointment...

15. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

What did our defense look like with Plumlee? The haters are not giving Neil credit for getting Plumlee then selling high when our playoff chances were slim at the deadline.

I compare what Neil is doing to drawing to a flush in poker. While most wait to shove it all in after getting AA, he makes many low probability moves to get a flush. It takes more draws to hit the nuts, but I think he got his hand when he traded for Nurk.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I like stability in the front office, coaching staff and roster...when a franchise gets it right, you can sustain a high level of success....I constantly reshuffling the deck weakens a team....Knicks...4 GMs and 5 coaches since Melo signed there....wasted his talents on roster gamble after roster gamble just throwing money around...Nets did the same thing...overpay over the hill vets who used to be great

17. kjironman1

I really do believe this also. They are people also and they get gut feelings just like us on this board. I personally don't really like some players but those same players might be MVP worthy. Westbrook anyone?

18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    @Charcoal Filtered ... See you at Ilani. :bgrin:

Charcoal Filtered likes this.
  19. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/02/12/p...ver-nuggets-mason-plumlee-jusuf-nurkic-grades

Actually true: "[...]Nurkic (8 PPG, 5.8 RPG) isn’t the answer. The 22-year-old Bosnian seven-footer might be an Internet cult hero due to his fearsome physical presence, but he hasn’t been a positive difference-maker in his two-plus seasons in Denver. This year, his -10.3 net rating and 98.2 offensive rating were the worst marks among the Nuggets’ rotation players, and he rightfully lost his starting job in mid-December.[...]"

20. kjironman1

No question there either. Stability breeds sustainability and success.

riverman likes this.