Forum Game How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Jul 2, 2017.

?

How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

1. One more summer

26 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Two more summers

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Three or more

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

Someone that is capable of fulfilling and handling every aspect of the job description.

He may have a keen eye for late round talent. This DOESNT mean that he can structure, broker and sell big time trade ideas to other general managers. It DOESNT mean that he can take this market that he finds a challenge and sell it to big time free agents. Something he needed to do with one of his many rebuilding ideas he's had in the last five years. How about being fiscal responsible with the roster while maintaining a winning roster.

Bottom line, someone that can actually do the job. They are out there and they deserve the opportunity.

Eh?

2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I was looking for specifics. So just not NO...

HailBlazers and Wizard Mentor like this.
  3. OneLifeToLive

He is doing a terrible job. There are plenty out there as I said that deserves the opportunity. Maybe even someone that is seasonsed.

4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Then name them... that's what Dviss wanted.

UKRAINEFAN and kjironman1 like this.
  5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Troy Weaver would be my first choice. Then Jeff Weltman.

BrianFromWA and BBert like this.
  6. OneLifeToLive

I don't follow the game like I used to so it's a difficult question to answer. I have to believe there must be a talent out there with something to prove that can be had. The bottom line in my opinion is this General Manager is not getting it done and he should be replaced and have the opportunity given to someone else.

7. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, you answered it then. Well done.

Orion Bailey and HailBlazers like this.
  8. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I don't remember anyone clamoring for Nurk, or even really being excited about getting him. From what I remember the reaction to the trade was relief that we'd get the 1st round pick back that we spent to get Plumlee. Nurk was going to be a big body that wasn't Meyers Leonard. Whoever was clamoring for him should get an award.

9. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Olshey essentially turned Rondae Hollis Jefferson in Jusef Nurkic and Zach Collins

BBert, H.C., Schilly and 2 others like this.
  10. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

@Scalma was all over Nurk and Jokic in a possible trade.

Here's a link to the thread: Nuggets Shopping Nurkic

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  11. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

There were several of us who saw Denvers depth at center and wondered about how to get one of them in trade. Nurkic was the most common want because he came off the bench and usually destroyed us when he did.

12. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Olshey deserves extra time if Zach Collins turns out good. But having said that, if anyone better was available, I would shed no tears if he were fired. Trouble is, it's very hard to judge GM talent. We all thought the sun shone out of Pritchard's arse but he's done nothing good in Indiana.

I don't know why Paul Allen doesn't use his obscene wealth where it counts to get front office staff. There's no salary cap there. Just throw ridiculous money at someone like Sam Presti, or hell, even Pat Riley. Or both. Why not?

Nikolokolus and dviss1 like this.
  13. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Just to stir the pot: what is it with Olshey and white players? The players he always seems to decide he "has" to have in a draft ("I identify the player I want and then I go get him") are, often as not, white. Meyers, Pat, Layman, Collins. The other three aren't making me too hopeful about the latest in the line.

14. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    CJ is pretty white...

I don't remember Neil "going after" Pat, and definitely not Meyers. He went after Crabbe, and Lillard.

Denny Crane likes this.
  15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Okay, I should say "disproportionately". I don't really know the deal with Pat - was he a throw in or did we ask in advance to get him? Certainly he fell in love with Lillard, sure, and to some extent he coasted on that until getting Nurkic.

(CJ is great, but we still would be better off with Antetokounmpo or Gobert. You know that neither the Bucks nor the Jazz would trade either for CJ.)

16. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I like your posts a lot, but revisionist drafting is tiresome.
    Freak couldn't play or shoot. Very few similar players make it into the league at all. Gobert had legendary measurements, but most Euro bigs have failed in the past. CJ was an awesome pick which NO nailed.

17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Thanks!

But look: THIS IS WHAT FRONT OFFICES ARE PAID TO DO. They have enormous resources that we don't have. And some of them are incredibly good at it. CJ was a "safe" pick. We should hold FOs to higher standards than us idiots.

Yes, none of US knew what Antetokounmpo could become, and maybe nobody. And yet the Bucks took him with a first rounder. So somebody must've thought something, and they were right. Gobert was no fluke, though. He was rated really highly as some point in the previous year. People got scared by something, a la Batum, and they fucked up.

No, most "Euro bigs" have not failed in the past any more than most American bigs. It's not like there hadn't been the Gasols, Divac, Sabonis, Nowitzki before that. Sure there's "Big Jake" as a costly failure, but there are a million US college bigs who've failed too.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This is not correct. There were several posters in here who were talking about Nurkić before the season started. And when he was acquired most in here were jubilant. What are you talking about.

19. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Jesus...

Al-farouq aminu is probably as black as you can get.

Just stop.

Denny Crane and H.C. like this.
  20. Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds Active Member

I think most people (righfully, I'd say - but personally I thought he'd be ok but no where near he is now) questioned Gobert's lateral quickness.

Disagree with CJ( or Lillard for that matter) being safe picks. Foot problems are notorious for lingering on. I would wager a good amount that they both 'slipped' or were rated poorly for medical concerns by other teams. Also, I recall people saying neither of them would be able to translate their game as well to better competition.

And I think Lillard kind of lobbied for Meyers, because I recall him saying at some point that Olshey asked him about other players in the draft and he said he and Leonard hit it off well or something like that.

dviss1 likes this.