Forum Game How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Jul 2, 2017.

?

How much longer do you think Olshey deserves?

1. One more summer

26 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Two more summers

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Three or more

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Nurk is gonna treat Gobert like a child next season. LOL.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    That could still be true and yet Gobert could still be better for his team.

Deron Williams always used to outplay Chris Paul...

3. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    He certainly tested poorly at the combine. But I heard he was sick.

Two good points. But still, in both cases there was a body of video that you could point to and say "see? See how great he is?" That's the sense in which they were less of a gamble than somebody from Spain's B-league.

Okay, but who's the GM here?

4. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    So you're going by skin tone? That's the Brazilian way.

5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    One thing I think is certain: if Olshey had known he was going to be able to get Nurkic, he wouldn't have spent so much money last summer.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  6. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Yeah.... You sure stirred the pot on that one.
    Go back and really look at Olshey's draft history (His entire career) and get back to us.

Dougnsalem, Denny Crane and dviss1 like this.
  7. kjironman1

That might be true but who ever really knows? Nurkic's situation became toxic in Denver because of playing time and as i understand "Locker room" issues involving other players. Nurkic wanted out as well as the Blazers had a player that would fit into their system. People also forget Plumlee developed quite a bit in Portland. His motor was always there but his free throw shooting improved and he also gained a few post moves and passing ability. Plumlee became a better asset that was movable.

8. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    People who win lotteries aren't "right" regardless of how much information they have. GF was a superhigh variance pick - it was rolling a dice. The dice landing boxcars doesn't mean the Bucks were "smart" and NO should have rolled that same dice with the 10th pick. The Cavs did that with a certain Canadian player with the #1 pick, and they have appropriately received criticism.

Denny Crane likes this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    The only reason I say that is because in hindsight, Olshey has a much tougher time managing his cap now that he's going to have to re-sign Nurk next summer. I think one of the main reasons for spending the cap space last summer was so he'd have assets to move when he found a trade for a star who might eventually become available. He got his future star without having to move a high-priced asset.

Driew likes this.
  10. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct.

11. kjironman1

I just had this conversation on another site. There are people here talking like Olshey should be run out of town. That is just crazy talk. He paid some guys. Now i am not making any excuses for Meyers Leonard. I think he should be moved. But he started last year straight out of Shoulder surgery and then got injured again mid season. He was never healthy until the very end of the season and his play did in fact improve. If he has marked improvement again this year a 7 footer for 10 mill is very valuable and a good asset to trade. Next you have Turner who now looks better with the contract Hill just got from the Kings. If Turner goes without injury and meshes with Nurkic well this year Olshey starts to look like a genius. Then we have Crabbe? I did not want to match Crabbe last year but again the contracts they are handing out right now are starting to even that money out. Crabbe shot 44% from three point last year. He was almost 50% from the field. He was injured also most of the second half of the season and his mobility was definitely hampered. If Crabbe goes healthy and continues to improve. Neil Olshey will be in the conversation for GM of the year AGAIN!

HailBlazers, dviss1 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  12. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

He must be a white supremist.:rolleyes2:

dviss1 likes this.
  13. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Maybe, but I disagree. Nurk's style of play could survive on any team IMO. He does everything a center is needed to do. Gobert is almost an offensive liability.

H.C. likes this.
  15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Not at all. He's African. That's as black as you can get.

Denny Crane and H.C. like this.
  16. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Look through Prichard's moves in Portland as GM. Most of them are not good. The only good ones were trading for Batum and Camby. He got a lot of the credit for drafting Roy and Aldridge, but he wasn't really the GM at that point. He also gets some cred for supposedly urging Nash to draft Chris Paul rather than trade down for Webster.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/pritcke01x.html

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Yeah, but my recollection was that he was running the draft that year, as the GM-in-waiting. I could be mistaken, but that's why I remember him getting credit.

Honestly, I think Pritchard would be remembered as perhaps Portland's best GM had Oden been healthy. Oden/Roy/Aldridge/Batum would have been a homegrown powerhouse. Especially if he had been able to add Andre Miller to that, in this alternate reality.

But yeah, shit happens. Oden wasn't healthy and Pritchard didn't really do much good after that beyond signing Miller.

18. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Really simple answer to this question is to ask the real question at hand. Is the team better today than it was on July 4th 2015... some of you are so focused on the contracts but you are forgetting one thing the contracts are simply a side note it's all about the team on the floor. Ignoring the contracts is this team a "fire worthy" roster?

Would the team have been better by letting Crabbe walk, again ignore the contract. Would the team have been better without Turner? Harkless?

What is your focus the talent on the floor or the salary situation? Which is the more important of the 2? IMO fixing salary issues is easier than adding talent.

Youngest team in the league oversized contracts will expire while our oldest guys are still in their prime and our younger guys are just starting to enter prime.

dviss1, Denny Crane, BBert and 2 others like this.
  19. kjironman1

Good points.

20. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I want me instead of NO.
    However I most certainly would stop coming to this forum. Due to the mass hysteria that exists when the GM doesn't move half the roster every year like this forum wants.

I however think NO is doing a fine job. I agree with MM he jumped the gun on signing a player like Turner last off-season. However it was a case of use the space or lose it. So can't hate on him for really anything he's done.
    I just wish he could have got Nurk & Okafor.

dviss1 likes this.