How real is it, really?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, Nov 16, 2022.

1. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Kings W, Suns W, Lakers W, Nuggets W, Heat L (Dame left in the third with our team down by less than ten), Heat W, Hornets W, Mavs L, Spurs W, Nets L, Jazz L (Dame left in the third with the game obviously within reach given the final score).

The combined record of the eleven teams we've played with Dame is 115-103 while the combined record of the teams we've played without him is 122-95. So I'd say we've played a pretty solid group of teams and had some pretty big wins with Dame. The idea that Dame's absence hasn't cost us wins is ludicrous and I'm sure you weren't trying to say that but thanks for bringing up SOS because according to ESPN we've played the 4th hardest schedule in the league to this point: http://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

So we're actually better than our .500 record would indicate and we'd have an even better record if Dame hadn't missed half of the season. I'm not saying we'd be 14-8 I'm just saying we'd be better than 11-11.

2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I agree that they stay more intense on D when they're scoring on O but then there's just the fact that when the ball goes through the hoop you have a chance to get your defense set and that has been statistically proven to improve defensive numbers. So there is a psychological aspect of it but there's also just the practical matter itself.

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Also, Ant and Grant are working so hard on offense 40 minutes a night they could not possibly be able to exert the same energy on defense. This team needs Dame plus another scorer between now and when Shaedon becomes that guy, which will not be soon. Shae has so much to learn.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  4. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Depends on what your definition of “that guy” is, but why are you so sure Shae couldn’t become that as soon as next season?

That guy meaning a 20+ppg scorer? Or that guy meaning a 15ppg guy but can score in any way that you could imagine? Sharpe just needs one full year with playing time to figure it out imo.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  5. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    I agree. I fully expect Shae to be twice the player next year as he is right now. Instead of "not soon" I probably should have said not immediately. By another scorer, I mean someone the other team has to cover, regardless of points scored.

6. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    For me personally, I found that when I was more focused and intense while on defense it improved my focus, reaction time and scoring efficiency on offense.

STOMP likes this.
  7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

there is one thing this year.... tons of parity in the west. i think it will stay like this much of the year.

8. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    I think Shae will be unrecognizeable in a couple of years, and I mean that in the most positive of views. He will grow a lot. Only 22 games with full grown men? He will get there.

Zion said something interesting last week: the game is "slowing" down for him. I take that to mean he is now making the decisions he use to wish he had made but the game was a bit fast when he got in the league. That is probably where Shae is now. The game will slow down for him eventually.