Science How This Decade of Archaeology Changed What We Know About Human Origins

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 29, 2019.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

"I think, ...I think I am...therefore, I am....I think."

2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Then you've got watch out for neighs and whinnys

3. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Yet we are here and we have all the makings and it happened so obviously we were part of that probability that did occur. I will include that I believe there was divine intervention but you don't have to include that in your calculations.
    No, there's nothing wrong with the probability calculations other than our the assignment of probability values, which I doubt, may be wrong.

Edit:
    Think of all that must have gone right.
    Because of all the elements involved, we are the result of at least a third generation star explosion;
    We had to be the result of a glancing blow of just the right maginitude and angle to receive the iron necessary for an iron core which is necessary for a magnetic field which protects us from scouring sun radiation. We need a moon of just the right size relative to our size which has a gravitational affect on our planet which stabilizes our axis and keeps it at the same tilt all the way around the sun allowing for seasons;
    We have to be in the Goldilocks zone not to close and not to far away from our sun;
    We need a large planet like Jupiter not to far away to draw large asteroids away from us thereby protecting us from annihilation from collistions from these asteroids;
    Should a dominant type of species that eat a species that could evolve into an intelligent species control the world, we need an asteroid of just the right magnitude to strike killing those dominant species and allow the types of species to flourish and evolve into intelligent ones;
    You have to hope that the intelligent species doesn't do something stupid and eradicate themselves;
    Your star must be of the right size;
    Your planet must be made of the right mix of material;
    You have to have life evolve starting with a type that will create a breathable atmosphere;
    I'm sure there are others that don't come to mind right now.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I'm aware of all that and I agree with you. Which is where I was confused about what we disagreed on. :)

5. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

He is a Nerd that works in a warehouse?

6. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I always found it convenient that the continents were the same shapes 250 million years ago, as they are now.

7. yankeesince59

Yeah, while watching that time lapse I noticed that while the continents moved, the East coast of South America and the East coast of Africa hardly changed at all over 100s of millions of years...kinda hard for me to believe.

8. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Neal Adams' Expanding Earth theory is interesting. I don't believe it but still worth watching.

yankeesince59 likes this.
  9. yankeesince59

If the earth is indeed growing, and if the ocean floor as we know it is only 50-60 million years old, that might explain a lot.

10. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Of course it is expanding.
    I love to watch it do so. Get off shore beyond the light pollution at night and watch it happening. Off southern California and Mexico is a wonderful place to watch it all happen. Stuff is raining down on us constantly. At night it looks like a spectacular show
    as objects enter our atmosphere and light up. No video really captures the real thing like seeing it in surround video from the deck of a small craft in the cat birds seat.

11. yankeesince59

Marz, forgive me but you've lost me, or are we talking about 2 different things? The "growing" of the earth that I referenced was over the course of millions of years as was exhibited in Sly's video. I just don't understand your correlation between that and observing the night sky aboard a boat.

12. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    >>> always possible that we fail to comunicate, but in this case I doubt it.

>>> Well actually, as I understand it, the earth was an identifiable planet in our solar system more than 15 billions years ago. I expect it grew by gravitational attraction and added mass as it came within grasp.

>>> I think it is still doing the same and you can see it in progress quite spectacularly in 360 surround view at sea.

13. yankeesince59

...again, I get the feeling we're comparing apples to oranges (millions of years as compared to a few hours on a boat)

...gotta ask, did you watch the WHOLE video that Sly posted?

14. Lanny

Rocky Horror Picture Show

15. Lanny

Observing the night sky anywhere can be awe inspiring and drum up a lot of questions.

16. yankeesince59

I have no doubt about that because I live out in the country and the night sky it very clear when compared to viewing it in the city.

But that's not at all what Marz and I were discussing...but then again, I keep forgetting that you have him on "ignore".

17. Lanny

When I was a kid of about 5 my mother took me outside on warm summer nights when the sky was clear and there was very little light pollution in those days and she would teach me the basics about the names of the star formations starting with the big and little dippers. All I can remember of those days was also learning which star was the North star.
    Maybe a year or so later, my father showed me the aurora borealis. He could not explain why they were what they were but I now know that they are created when free electrons are emitted from the sun and collide with elements in our atmosphere exciting those elements to higher energy levels which rapidly decay giving off colored lights. These elements are electrically charged and attracted to the poles with the aurora borealis occurring at the North pole. Interestingly, similar events happen on the moon. electrons from the sun hit minerals on the moons surface elevating them to high energy levels which when they rapidly decay give off enough light to make up about 1/3 of the light we see coming from the moon. Cool.
    Then when I was 8 or 9 on a hot summer night, my dad would throw a mattress on the ground in the back yard. We would look up at the stars and he would ask something like "Do you see all those stars? What do you think is beyond those stars? And what is beyond the stars that are beyond these stars? And what is beyond those stars? How far do the stars go?" That was my first taste of the concept of infinity. It is this that has made me a born again Christian.
    When I get so wrapped up in the concept of infinity that I start to blow my mind, I head for the frig and grab me an ice cold beer.
    I can handle infinity if I keep it at arm's length such as in mathematics when dealing with asymptotes or integration or even the definition of a limit but in terms of the Universe is when I desperately grab that beer.

18. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Science is guessing in a lab coat.

19. yankeesince59

As opposed to guessing with a keyboard?

20. Lanny

Science doesnt guess, after all it's called s c i e n c e.
    A brief refresher:
    Scientific Method -
    "principles and procedures for the systematic pursuit of knowledge involving the recognition and formulation of a problem, the collection of data through observation and experiment, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses"
    From Webster
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scientific method