How to beat the GSW ?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BrunoSOC, Jun 8, 2017.

1. BrunoSOC

BrunoSOC Ripcity from Brazil

We are seen a super team in a make right here.

They are close make history and became the only team in nba history to make 16x0 in the playoffs. I just hate them, and i wanna see them lose.

But, honestly, how we(and all NBA) have to do to beat those guys? Kd is finally in his prime time.

If our roster right now, i think we dont have chance to beat them. We have a lot of young players, they will improve (we hope so) and we can improve our team as team, beside that we will have to make some (BIG) moves to really have a chance to beat them, when i say that, im think about:

Paul George
    Jimmy Buttler
    Carmelo Antonhy ?

Right now they are about to sweep one the best players ever to play this game. How we can beat this team? Im very afraid that they can win the league for the next 2 or 3 years.

2. BrunoSOC

BrunoSOC Ripcity from Brazil

Note: As all of you know, im from Brazil. So, sorry for my english

3. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

You always try to improve but if you can't get Paul George or Jimmy Butler then I think you build through the draft and wait 3 years until they aren't a Super team anymore. At some point they will break up the team because the penalties will get too high for the owner. They will ride it a while if they win titles but the moment they lose one the owner is going to say no more. I know it sucks to say wait until next year (or even longer in this scenario), every fan wants to win NOW! but it is probably the smart thing to do. But, Injuries can and probably will happen as well. Some team who shouldn't win most likely will at some point. Fans and teams should never give up hope.

Reep likes this.
  4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Again, this is like the old Steve Martin bit about how to become a millionaire.

First, get a million dollars

5. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

If you can get PG, then you hope you can either out coach them or out work them. Other than that you build up to outlast them.

6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The salary cap.

There's simply no way they're going to be able to afford those four players when Curry gets his new contract. He's the only reason they were able to afford Durant in the first place. It was dumb luck.

Their luxury tax is going to be exorbitant.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  7. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

what about a 3 team trade.
    portland get: kevin love, kyle o'quinn, 8th
    cavs get- carmelo anthony
    knicks-allen crabbe, meyers leonard, festus ezeli, 15th, 20th, 26th
    then with trade 8th pick and harkless to the king 5th pick. then pick johnathan isaac.
    dame/napier
    cj/turner/pat
    isaac/aminu/layman
    love/vonleh
    nurkic/davis/o'quinn
    this starting lineup can match up with gsw but it our bench that would be way better than theirs

8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Not even close to matching up with them defensively. This team has to seriously start looking defense if they want to take the next step.

9. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    You beat them with a punishing front court. We've got a start on that with Nurk. We need to add a couple of pieces, but we can get there.

BBert, Orion Bailey, dviss1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    The salary cap isn't a barrier. With Durant saying he'll take the 120% exception, rather than the super max, this year, they can sign him and Curry with exceptions, keep the capholds from Iguodala and Livingston and re-sign them too with the Bird exception.

After that, all their core players can be signed indefinitely using the Bird exception.

It is true that the luxury tax payments are going to get exorbitant in a few years when Thompson and Green finish their existing contracts and are eligible for super maxes of their own. Nothing prevents the Warriors from paying it, though, in terms of rules. It's just a question of how much their ownership team is willing to sustain it. They're moving from Oakland to San Francisco and there's little question that they're going to jack the ticket prices way up. Added revenue may help them offset the huge cost long enough to milk the primes of Curry and Durant.

11. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

You don't. No trade can make us better than them over 7 games. Build through draft and wait until they are not a Super Team anymore. Won't be that long.

rotary111 likes this.
  12. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

What if we give our bench players huuuuuugggge contracts?
    That should scare the Warriors.

BBert, Orion Bailey, Nate and 5 others like this.
  13. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

14. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It's going to be interesting to see how we match up against them with a healthy Nurkic. (Note that I am not saying that a healthy Nurkic makes us as good as them) With limited play from Nurkic we played well against GS. Of course Jusuf was injured and burned out as the game went. Too, our players struggled on both ends, no doubt some of the credit for that goes to a suffocating GS defense. (I do believe GS was allowed to play an over physical defense and get away with fouls compared to what was allowed for the Blazers)
    I have to wonder with a healthy team, with our guys playing at their best how different the series would have been. Seeing that the Warriors have yet to lose in the playoffs and have swept everyone I don't feel so bad. I do believe the Blazers though outclassed could play a competitive game against them, and note that they did in games 1 and 3 without a completely healthy team.
    It will be interesting to see how our player personnel changes over the summer. I would hope the Blazers bring in some more defensive minded players or at least a defensive minded assistant coach who can help the Blazers at that end of court. What it comes down too is basketball is a team sport, hero ball isn't going to beat the Warriors. A lackluster defense isn't going to beat the Warriors. Playing on full cylinders as a team on both ends is what is required to beat the Warriors. That and confidence, players having confidence in each other and themselves. Though GS is great at squashing that.
    I don't know that the Blazers can beat the Warriors in a playoff series, but it's a hell of a challenge, one that the players should be excited to undertake. It would probably help not to face the Warriors in the 1st round. The Blazers could have easily been a 50+ win team this season, and received a higher seed. If we don't trade players like Crabbe, Aminu, Davis, Turner, etc. It will be interesting to see if they can turn things around. I will be excited to see a healthy Blazers play the Warriors next season.

15. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Small ball used to get shitted on when there were truly dominant centers in the league.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  16. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    NBA history is full of instances where the "best" team didn't win the title. It takes having a really good roster combined with good health. Even then, it takes having some breaks along the way that fall your way. Sitting back and waiting for the Warriors to not be good is a bad strategy. I think in the NBA teams are seen as elite (Warriors, Cavs, Spurs), on the rise, stagnant, or in rebuild mode. Elite teams are always able to fill out their roster with quality vets who are willing to take a pay cut for the chance at a ring. Teams on the rise will be desirable for hungry younger players. If you're seen as stagnant or in rebuild mode, nobody wants to join up with you. The Blazers, having acquired Nurkic to add to Lillard and McCollum, are a team on the rise. The last thing they should be doing is twiddling their thumbs for three years waiting for the Warriors to fall apart. Build the roster to fix weaknesses, play the season, and hope you're the healthiest team entering the playoffs.

BBert and Orion Bailey like this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

There is a way
    voodoo doll.jpg

e_blazer likes this.
  18. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that Carmelo Anthony is not the answer to your question.

19. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Zaza Pachulia is an unrestricted free gent this summer. You sign him with as much of the MLE as it takes and then have him do a hard "close out" on Kevin Durant in Game 1 of your series against GSW.

BNM

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  20. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Bruisers down low on both ends of the court.
    Slow down the pace of the game.
    Lock down wing defender.

BBert and Orion Bailey like this.