How we gonna do?

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by hoodie7, May 22, 2006.

1. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakes781)</div><div class='quotemain'>Bengals are in for a hurting next season. I predict 7-9

You talk of the Patriots like their run is over. Well I got news for you it's not!</div>
    Does that include the victory through loss last year?

2. Phinsuck

Phinsuck nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>Blaming backups doesn't work. If a player is on the Patriot roster then they are a Patriot and how they play is a direct reflection on the Patriot football team. Injuries happen to every team and it's the responsibility of the coach and front office to have EVERYONE ready to play. If your backups suck, then your team sucks because they are a part of your team.

I hate potential. Potential may be the lamest cop out ever invented. Potential is nothing. The fact is that the Broncos and Patriots played twice and the Broncos beat the Patriots both times therefore the Broncos were better than the Patriots last year. The Broncos were better at the beginning of the year and the Broncos were better at the end of the year.

I used to be okay with the Patriots, but I hate them now. Why? Because Patriot players and fans can't accept defeat gracefully. I'm tired of hearing Patriot players whine about how it's them against the world and hearing their fans make excuses when another team goes out and beats them. The Patriots had a great run. Be proud of that, but give other teams their due when they outplay you. As it is right now, I'm not sure if I would root for the Patriots over the Bills and Jets and I really hate the Bills and Jets.</div>
    If someone is a backup to another player, does that or does that not mean that they aren't perceived to be as good as the player they're backing up? I can accept defeat just fine. What pisses me off is that everyone hates the Patriots now, kinda like the Cowboys are hated. Well, they were anyway. The Broncos beat us twice last year, that is evident. I just hate it when people have the mentality that we suck now and will from here on out. I hope the Pats prove you wrong.

3. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

First, backups aren't as good as starters, but you missed the point. Teams aren't just judged by the quality of their starters. Smart coaches know that they need to try and get as much quality depth as they possibly can because injuries happen to everyone in the NFL. Great teams have good depth and continue to win when players get hurt.

I never said that the Patriots suck. I'm not writing them off to be a good team this year. I don't think the Pats will make the Super Bowl, but I think the AFC east will come down to a dogfight between the Patriots and the Dolphins. I just hate the Pats now because Pat fans can't acknowledge other teams when they get beat. Pat fans wouldn't even acknowledge the Broncos as being competition going into the playoffs even though the Broncos beat them earlier in the season. I really enjoyed seeing the Patriots getting their butts beat because of that arrogance. Believe it or not, I was pulling for the Pats during their three Super Bowl wins, but I can't stand them now.

4. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>Blaming backups doesn't work. If a player is on the Patriot roster then they are a Patriot and how they play is a direct reflection on the Patriot football team. Injuries happen to every team and it's the responsibility of the coach and front office to have EVERYONE ready to play. If your backups suck, then your team sucks because they are a part of your team.

I hate potential. Potential may be the lamest cop out ever invented. Potential is nothing. The fact is that the Broncos and Patriots played twice and the Broncos beat the Patriots both times therefore the Broncos were better than the Patriots last year. The Broncos were better at the beginning of the year and the Broncos were better at the end of the year.

I used to be okay with the Patriots, but I hate them now. Why? Because Patriot players and fans can't accept defeat gracefully. I'm tired of hearing Patriot players whine about how it's them against the world and hearing their fans make excuses when another team goes out and beats them. The Patriots had a great run. Be proud of that, but give other teams their due when they outplay you. As it is right now, I'm not sure if I would root for the Patriots over the Bills and Jets and I really hate the Bills and Jets.</div>
    If someone is a backup to another player, does that or does that not mean that they aren't perceived to be as good as the player they're backing up? I can accept defeat just fine. What pisses me off is that everyone hates the Patriots now, kinda like the Cowboys are hated. Well, they were anyway. The Broncos beat us twice last year, that is evident. I just hate it when people have the mentality that we suck now and will from here on out. I hope the Pats prove you wrong.</div>
    Where did anyone say the Patriots suck on this forum?

5. Phinsuck

You're right, I'm wrong I guess. I still don't understand how backups are supposed to be able to hang with starters though, especially if there are starters injured in almost every position, sometimes a couple players deep. Are you telling me that a 3rd string player should be able to play right there with a starter? I can understand a 2nd string player being able to be close to a starter in terms of skill but deeper than that I don't think there is a whole lot of comparison.

On that note, why do sports fans, analysts, announcers, players, coaches, columnists, etc. so often refer to a team as being "injured"? If what you say carries the weight that it should then losing players like Thomas, Taylor, or Williams for instance should have very little or no effect on the performance of the team. Needless to say we all know that losing starters does impact the performance of the team. I'm not just talking about the Patriots either. If the Colts had lost Wayne, Harrison, Edge, and Manning last season by week 5 or so, I seriously doubt they would have almost gone undefeated like they did.

6. Phinsuck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'>You're right, as much as I hate to admit it. However, the mistakes the Pats made that night are very rare. If they did it every game like the 2005 Jets, Bills, Texans, etc. then I would be more comfortable with what you are saying. I guess my point is that the Pats DIDN'T play up to their potential and Denver did, which was evident in the AFC Championship. Had the Pats played like they normally did toward the end of the season (note that I said end of the season, IOW when they were much healthier than before and had most of their starters back), I really think they would have taken Denver. The moral of the story is that Denver was better THAT NIGHT, but wasn't a better overall team toward the end of the season. Early in the season, sure they were. When one team has 90% of their starters and another has like 40%, I wouldn't expect the backups to win the game. Thats why they are backups. We'll just have to see what happens for/to the Pats in '06.</div>
    Well, at least you are moving in right direction. They were better in early season is a start. But, they beat you twice, early and late. btw, better teams play up to their potential, so if pats were better team they would have played up to thier potential. Broncos were better ALL SEASON.</div>
    So Carolina was a better team than Chicago last season?

7. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'>You're right, I'm wrong I guess. I still don't understand how backups are supposed to be able to hang with starters though, especially if there are starters injured in almost every position, sometimes a couple players deep. Are you telling me that a 3rd string player should be able to play right there with a starter? I can understand a 2nd string player being able to be close to a starter in terms of skill but deeper than that I don't think there is a whole lot of comparison.

On that note, why do sports fans, analysts, announcers, players, coaches, columnists, etc. so often refer to a team as being "injured"? If what you say carries the weight that it should then losing players like Thomas, Taylor, or Williams for instance should have very little or no effect on the performance of the team. Needless to say we all know that losing starters does impact the performance of the team. I'm not just talking about the Patriots either. If the Colts had lost Wayne, Harrison, Edge, and Manning last season by week 5 or so, I seriously doubt they would have almost gone undefeated like they did.</div>
    Then, why don't teams cancel their season when players get injured. Should teams with injured players get spotted points? Okay, the Patriots had some injured players. Are you going to cry about it or play the game? I'm just put off by fans not giving other teams credit for winning and crying about injuries or the officials. (Are you listening Seahawk fans?) I'm not saying that injuries aren't supposed to be part of a discussion, but they shouldn't be used to take away from another team's accomplishments. How would you feel about a Raider fan telling you that the Patriots' first championship was stolen because Tom Brady really did fumble?

8. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

The Bengals will have a tougher time this season than last, But I still see them taking the NFC North, and depending on how the steelers running game does I could Actually see the Browns passing them for 2nd place or even first in the north. If Carson is back by week 2 or 3 then I say the Bengals finish at least 10-6, if he doesn't comeback by Week 4 or 5 then 8-8 9-7 at best.

9. Phinsuck

1/14/06-
    AFC Divisional Playoff Game Recap --
    New England doesn't beat itself in the postseason -- except on this night. Five Patriot turnovers spelled doom as the Denver Broncos scored 24 of their 27 points as a result of those miscues.
    Two Patriots turnovers and an awful pass interference call on Asante Samuel led to a 10-3 Broncos lead after the first 30 minutes.
    Both teams began conservatively on offense, punting after their first possessions. It was on the Patriots second try that they drove into Broncos territory but on fourth and 1 from the Denver 36, Brady took a shotgun snap and threw behind a wide open Christian Fauria allowing Denver to take over on downs.
    Although Denver managed to only get to the Patriot 45, Todd Sauerbrun's punt dropped inside the 10 and was downed at the 4-yard line by Curome Cox.
    It was a key play in the field position battle. With the Denver faithful deafening, Brady had to work with little room for error. His first pass was nearly intercepted by Al Wilson. After Dillon ran for 5 yards, Brady had to call timeout on third and 5. Even with the time to talk with the sideline, the ensuing play wound up clearly miscommunicated as Brady turned and fired to his left with no one there. New England punted again.
    Josh Miller got off a 50-yard punt and the Broncos began at their own 37. Plummer quickly got them over midfield with a 15 yard pass to Ashley Lelie. Two runs by Mike Anderson netted 4 yards and the first quarter ended with Denver third and 6 from the Patriots 44.
    Plummer opened the second quarter with another 15-yard completion, this one to Rod Smith. A holding call on Tatum Bell brought up a third and 17 and it looked like the Patriots would keep Denver out of the red zone but Plummer found Jeb Putzier in the right flat for 24 yards to the 12. Bell then ran for 8 yards to the 4 and again for 1 yard, only inches away from a first down. That brought up third and 1 and a Plummer sneak that was thwarted by Ty Warren.
    Denver elected to go for it being so close to the first down. Plummer floated a fade pass to Lelie heading toward the left corner of the end zone but the ball was overthrown and amazingly New England escaped.
    Once again Brady had to start with his heels virtually on the goal line and once again New England was forced to punt after three plays.
    Denver continued to apply the pressure not only on defense but also when it had the ball, and it wasn't with its vaunted running game. Plummer was connecting with his receivers and he began this drive with a 15-yarder to Anderson and 11 more to Smith. After a 1-yard run by Anderson, Plummer looked a little deeper down the left sideline to Lelie. Samuel came across and made the catch with the ruling on field being Samuel out of bounds.
    The play was close and the Patriots challenged the call. Replay showed both of Samuel's feet in bounds with possession and the Patriots took over at the Denver 11. It was the best field position New England had in its last three drives.
    Brady took immediate advantage. On first down he looked long to Andre Davis with Champ Bailey in coverage. The pass was caught 51 yards downfield to the Broncos 38. Two plays later Branch was good for a 13 yard catch but New England would get no further than the Broncos 22 where Adam Vinatieri booted a 39-yard field goal to put his team on top, 3-0.
    The Broncos answered after Kevin Faulk fumbled later in the quarter. After the turnover, Plummer looked long to Lelie on first down with Samuel in coverage. A completely ridiculous pass interference call was made on Samuel as both players were looking at the ball and no contact came until the ball sailed over both players' heads. The penalty moved the ball to the 1 where Anderson pounded it in for a gift-wrapped touchdown.
    Denver added three more to its lead after Ellis Hobbs fumbled the ensuing kickoff. Jason Elam nailed a 50-yard field goal to make the halftime score 10-3, Denver.
    New England opened the second half by stopping Denver three and out and then starting a drive from its own 27 that quickly went into Denver territory thanks to an 18-yard pass to Daniel Graham thrown over heavy Bronco pressure. Givens caught a 14-yarder to the 37. He later caught another pass for 6 yards to the 14 but that was as far as his team would get on this drive, settling for a 32-yard Vinatieri field goal to make the score 10-6.
    At this point the Patriots seemed to have an extra hop in their step. After Mike Vrabel sacked Plummer to bring up the Broncos second consecutive punt, Brady went right to work and hit Troy Brown for 33 yards to the 45. A little trickery followed with a give to Dillon who turned and sent the ball back to Brady for the flea flicker. He then found Branch all alone for a pick up of 26 yards to the 19. From there, Givens snared a 9-yard pass to the 10.
    On third and goal from the 5, things got wild. Brady looked to Brown at the edge of the goal line but Bailey snatched the ball away and headed down the sideline. It was clear sailing for the cornerback but just as he was about to cross the goal line, Benjamin Watson came out of nowhere, sending Bailey flying out of bounds and ball out of his hands. The ref called the play down at the 1-yard line but New England challenged the call, thinking the ball may have been fumbled out of the end zone. If it did, it would be the Patriots ball first and 10 at the 20.
    There just wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call and the Broncos were in prime position to add to its lead, first and goal at the 1.
    Anderson took it in around the left side on the next play and just like that the momentum New England was feeling went right to the Broncos. Instead of the game being at least 10-9 or 13-10, Patriots, it was now 17-6 Denver with play moving into the final frame.
    Undaunted, Brady drove his team down to the Broncos 25 with Dillon running for 17 and Faulk catching two passes for 20 yards total. On third and 4 from the Denver 25, however, he overthrew Brown who had beaten his man toward the end zone. Vinatieri then missed a 43-yard field goal attempt and New England was unable to cut into the lead with 12:48 remaining in the game.
    The game was sealed for Denver after the Patriots defense forced the Broncos to punt on their next series and the usually dependable Brown muffed his catch. Denver's Mike Leach pounced on the loose ball and the Broncos were poised to put the game away. After two Anderson runs, Plummer hit Smith in the end zone, making the score 24-6 and thus making New England's amazing reign of dominance over the NFL looking like it might come to an end.
    Like the champions they are, New England never gave up. Brady hit Branch for a 73-yard play down to the Broncos 4 as soon as he got the ball back. On the next play it was Givens along the back of the end zone for the score.
    Denver managed to kill a good chunk of the remaining clock on its way to adding three to the scoreboard, making it a 27-13 game. Elam was good on a 34-yarder, the only Denver points of the night that did not come as a result of a Patriot turnover.
    Brady ended his night on a last ditch bomb intended for Davis that was picked off by John Lynch.
    It's been an amazing ride and like the old cliche goes, wait 'til next year, Patriots fans.
    Notes
    Patriots inactives: Bam Childress; Patrick Pass; Gene Mruczkowski; Nick Kaczur; Dan Klecko; Bethel Johnson; Santonio Thomas; Matt Cassel (3rd QB).
    Broncos inactives: David Terrell; Darius Watts; Hamza Abdullah; Roc Alexander; Taylor Whitley; John Engelberger; Monsanto Pope; Nate Jackson.

10. Phinsuck

See, we or the refs gave the ball to them TWICE at the 1 yard line, giving the Broncos opportunities that even the '05 Texans could have scored on. You haven't had the chance yet to be hypocritical but if this kind of thing happens to the Dolphins, I guarantee that you'll feel the same way.

11. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'>See, we or the refs gave the ball to them TWICE at the 1 yard line, giving the Broncos opportunities that even the '05 Texans could have scored on. You haven't had the chance yet to be hypocritical but if this kind of thing happens to the Dolphins, I guarantee that you'll feel the same way.</div>
    Who wrote that article? A Patriots' beat writer? I've been on this site for quite some time and have had plenty of time to whine and cry, but I don't. If a team turns the ball over then they deserve to lose. Players who fumble need to improve and become better players. Ask Tiki Barber. The one time I lost my mind was when the Patriots used a snow plow to steal a game. The only other time I got really upset was a playoff game between the Chargers and Dolphins. The Dolphins knocked a ball loose at the one and it went through the endzone which gave the Dolphins the ball at the one. Had that happened on 1st, 2nd or 3rd down, the ball would have went to the Dolphins at the twenty. I thought that was a stupid rule. Consequently, the Dolphins gave up a safety and it affected the outcome of the ballgame. However, the bottom line was that had the Dolphin defense not allowed the Chargers to get so close, that wouldn't have happened. Do bad calls happen? Sure, but if you gripe about the ones that go against you, then you have to fess up when they go for you. I figure it evens out in the end. If the Dolphins lose a close ballgame to a questionable call or a blunder then they deserved to lose. They should have been better so that one or two bad breaks wouldn't have affected the outcome and they would have won. Every now and then I might grumble about a poorly called game, but you will never hear me bash anyone but Dolphin players for stupid mistakes like fumbles. The bottom line is that I can be objective, so when I do say something I have some credability. I can also give a team credit and some congrats when they outplay the Dolphins.

12. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

13. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'>See, we or the refs gave the ball to them TWICE at the 1 yard line, giving the Broncos opportunities that even the '05 Texans could have scored on. You haven't had the chance yet to be hypocritical but if this kind of thing happens to the Dolphins, I guarantee that you'll feel the same way.</div>
    It's the Patriots own fault that the Broncos ended up with the BAll on the one yard line. IF I'm not mistaken didn't Brady throw the INT to Bailey and Bailey return it to the 1 yard line.

14. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'>You're right, as much as I hate to admit it. However, the mistakes the Pats made that night are very rare. If they did it every game like the 2005 Jets, Bills, Texans, etc. then I would be more comfortable with what you are saying. I guess my point is that the Pats DIDN'T play up to their potential and Denver did, which was evident in the AFC Championship. Had the Pats played like they normally did toward the end of the season (note that I said end of the season, IOW when they were much healthier than before and had most of their starters back), I really think they would have taken Denver. The moral of the story is that Denver was better THAT NIGHT, but wasn't a better overall team toward the end of the season. Early in the season, sure they were. When one team has 90% of their starters and another has like 40%, I wouldn't expect the backups to win the game. Thats why they are backups. We'll just have to see what happens for/to the Pats in '06.</div>
    Well, at least you are moving in right direction. They were better in early season is a start. But, they beat you twice, early and late. btw, better teams play up to their potential, so if pats were better team they would have played up to thier potential. Broncos were better ALL SEASON.</div>
    So Carolina was a better team than Chicago last season?</div>
    No. Carolina lost to chicago in regular season. See it wasnt 2 Ls in one season. Chicago just had off night on D in playoffs same night, steve smith went off. i will say steve smith is better than entire chicago O last year. If you had split with Denver i would let it go and never have said anything. BUT YOU LOST TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. hoodie7

hoodie7 nfl-*****s member

Palmer is supposed to be back for the first game... just FYI

16. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>Pat fans can't acknowledge other teams when they get beat. Pat fans wouldn't even acknowledge the Broncos as being competition going into the playoffs even though the Broncos beat them earlier in the season. I really enjoyed seeing the Patriots getting their butts beat because of that arrogance. Believe it or not, I was pulling for the Pats during their three Super Bowl wins, but I can't stand them now.</div>
    I don't like how you're generalizing all Pats fans. I made it very clear that Denver was a worthy opponent. We have every reason to be confident & we'll continue to be as long as BB & Brady are here.

17. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

Thats what some say, others have reported that week 3 is a more viable date. I just hope he doesn't rush back into it and injure his knee worse.

18. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakes781)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>Pat fans can't acknowledge other teams when they get beat. Pat fans wouldn't even acknowledge the Broncos as being competition going into the playoffs even though the Broncos beat them earlier in the season. I really enjoyed seeing the Patriots getting their butts beat because of that arrogance. Believe it or not, I was pulling for the Pats during their three Super Bowl wins, but I can't stand them now.</div>
    I don't like how you're generalizing all Pats fans. I made it very clear that Denver was a worthy opponent. We have every reason to be confident & we'll continue to be as long as BB & Brady are here.</div>
    I would never hold it against a fan for being confident or proud of their team. I did generalize all Pats fan, but the generalization fit for the most part. You did give the Broncos a 50/50 chance of beating the Pats, but none of you guys gave the Broncos any credit, after the game, for beating the Patriots for the SECOND TIME. Here are YOUR words.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakes781)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know you're all glowing that we were finally beaten in the playoffs, but if you think the dynasty is over you're sadly mistaken.

Simply put the better team gave the game away. The better team held the #2 rush offense to under 100 yds combined. The better team netted over 400 yds of offense. Unfortunately for the better team they made too many unforced errors to overcome. Now I will grant the Broncos credit for getting Brady rattled enough to make the momentum changing play of the game. Bailey's 100+ yd INT return was a killer. As much as I wanted the refs to rule it a touchback I knew it was inconclusive. However it would've been justice for that horrific late flag on Samuels for pass interference.

Not making excuses, the Broncos did what I expected & that was blitz early & often. I didn't like how Brady reacted to Lynch at the start. One of Brady's greatest attributes is his poise & I felt that showed a lack of it. He played right into the Broncos hands. The Pats D played outstanding IMO. The special teams however was a disaster. The Pats streak is over & it sucks. But ya know what it doesnt hurt as much as I thought it would b/c I know we'll be back next season.

Normally I'd root for the team that beat us, but the Broncos didn't beat us we beat ourselves.

Go Steelers!</div>
    My favorite part of the post is how you used the phrase "not making any excuses" after you spent a paragraph talking about how the Pats were the better team and gave the game away.

19. Phinsuck

[quote name='DolfanDale'][quote name='bakes781'][quote name='DolfanDale']Pat fans can't acknowledge other teams when they get beat. Pat fans wouldn't even acknowledge the Broncos as being competition going into the playoffs even though the Broncos beat them earlier in the season. I really enjoyed seeing the Patriots getting their butts beat because of that arrogance. Believe it or not, I was pulling for the Pats during their three Super Bowl wins, but I can't stand them now.[/quote]
    I don't like how you're generalizing all Pats fans. I made it very clear that Denver was a worthy opponent. We have every reason to be confident & we'll continue to be as long as BB & Brady are here.[/quote]
    I would never hold it against a fan for being confident or proud of their team. I did generalize all Pats fan, but the generalization fit for the most part. You did give the Broncos a 50/50 chance of beating the Pats, but none of you guys gave the Broncos any credit, after the game, for beating the Patriots for the SECOND TIME. Here are YOUR words.

[quote name='bakes781']I know you're all glowing that we were finally beaten in the playoffs, but if you think the dynasty is over you're sadly mistaken.

Simply put the better team gave the game away. The better team held the #2 rush offense to under 100 yds combined. The better team netted over 400 yds of offense. Unfortunately for the better team they made too many unforced errors to overcome. Now I will grant the Broncos credit for getting Brady rattled enough to make the momentum changing play of the game. Bailey's 100+ yd INT return was a killer. As much as I wanted the refs to rule it a touchback I knew it was inconclusive. However it would've been justice for that horrific late flag on Samuels for pass interference.

Not making excuses, the Broncos did what I expected & that was blitz early & often. I didn't like how Brady reacted to Lynch at the start. One of Brady's greatest attributes is his poise & I felt that showed a lack of it. He played right into the Broncos hands. The Pats D played outstanding IMO. The special teams however was a disaster. The Pats streak is over & it sucks. But ya know what it doesnt hurt as much as I thought it would b/c I know we'll be back next season.

Normally I'd root for the team that beat us, but the Broncos didn't beat us we beat ourselves.

Go Steelers![/quote]
    My favorite part of the post is how you used the phrase "not making any excuses" after you spent a paragraph talking about how the Pats were the better team and gave the game away.[/quote]
    What on earth is wrong with bakes781's comments in that post? The better OVERALL team did lose that night. Let me put it this way. 2 Corvettes are about to race. One car is only slightly modified(Broncos, based on their overall performance the past few seaons compared to the Patriots) and one has a supercharger on it(Patriots, based on overall performance over the past few seasons compared to the Broncos). They get the green light and they're both off. However, the supercharged car's driver misses 3rd gear and blows the transmission as a result. Did the other car(Broncos) cause the supercharged car(Patriots) to lose? The other car's driver didn't force his opponent to miss that gear. Statistically, the Patriots were the better team in that Divisional playoff game. I do agree that Denver was the better team in the first game though because their normal playing team played the Patriots mostly backup squad, which obviously isn't the Patriots team that has won 3 superbowls. And in that game the "mostly" backups came back from a 28-3 deficit to lose 28-20. We also need to remember what the Steelers did to the Broncos at home in the AFC Championship.

20. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pats_Fan420)</div><div class='quotemain'>What on earth is wrong with bakes781's comments in that post? The better OVERALL team did lose that night. Let me put it this way. 2 Corvettes are about to race. One car is only slightly modified(Broncos, based on their overall performance the past few seaons compared to the Patriots) and one has a supercharger on it(Patriots, based on overall performance over the past few seasons compared to the Broncos). They get the green light and they're both off. However, the supercharged car's driver misses 3rd gear and blows the transmission as a result. Did the other car(Broncos) cause the supercharged car(Patriots) to lose? The other car's driver didn't force his opponent to miss that gear. Statistically, the Patriots were the better team in that Divisional playoff game. I do agree that Denver was the better team in the first game though because their normal playing team played the Patriots mostly backup squad, which obviously isn't the Patriots team that has won 3 superbowls. And in that game the "mostly" backups came back from a 28-3 deficit to lose 28-20. We also need to remember what the Steelers did to the Broncos at home in the AFC Championship.</div>
    So, the Broncos won the first game because it was the Broncos' starters vs the Patriots' backups and the Broncos won the second game because the Patriots' starters gave the game away. You guys have an excuse for everything. The car analogy is plain stupid. Cars don't line up facing each other and run smack into each other unless it's a demolishion derby. The fact is that the Broncos lined up across the line of scrimmage from the Patriots and kicked their butts TWICE last year. That means the Broncos were a better team than the Patriots. By the way, do you remember what the Patriots were doing during the AFC Championship Game last year?