How would you feel if Portland took Durant?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Roland Hood, May 23, 2007.

1. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

<div class="quote_poster">hustler Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think the Sonics are one of my fav teams right now.</div>

No bandwagon fans plz

2. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

I guess I shouldn't say that because Seattle fans in general are bandwagon fans.

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Casual Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I guess I shouldn't say that because Seattle fans in general are bandwagon fans.</div>

Agreed. The forum hasn't been this lively since Jerome James was dominating y'all.

4. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I wouldn't call us bandwagon fans, I always am a fan of the Sonics. There's just a hell of a lot more to talk about when you get the 2nd pick in the draft rather than letting teams score 110 on you on a regular basis.

Edit: Now that I think about it we probably are bandwagon fans.

5. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

6. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Invalid Video Link

7. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

With the exception of a very few, #2 picks in NBA history haven't ended up being a superstar as they've been projected. There's definitely a curse associated with whoever gets drafted 2nd overall. I'm pretty sure either Oden or Durant whoever gets picked #2 will end up being a bust. I'd still be wary if I were a Sonics fan.

8. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">With the exception of a very few, #2 picks in NBA history haven't ended up being a superstar as they've been projected. There's definitely a curse associated with whoever gets drafted 2nd overall. I'm pretty sure either Oden or Durant whoever gets picked #2 will end up being a bust. I'd still be wary if I were a Sonics fan.</div>

That's not good logic at all. There are rarely two certified stars in a draft... Kevin Durant isn't Darko Milicic. He's already proven himself as the most dominant player in college basketball in his only season, and he did it in the Big 12. He not only can come in an average nearly a double double but his potential is through the roof. If we took Brandan Wright at two or something, I think you could be a little nervous about the bust factor. But Durant and Oden are about as equally bust-proof wherever they get drafted. There's no sure things but you can't look at past #2 overall picks and judge Kevin Durant. That's just stupid.

9. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

The only draft I can think of in the past decade where Durant wouldn't have gone number one is the LeBron one.

10. Shard

Shard Hi2u

Let us not forget that the Sonics' only #2 pick was Gary Payton, thus negating any "curse'".

11. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Sir Desmond Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Ridiculous comment - if you can draft a franchise-changing anchor like Oden, it doesn't matter who you've drafted in the past. Plenty of teams would be interested in Swift if he was up for trade anyway.</div>
    Of course you draft someone of Oden's caliber but that's moot since Portland will not draft Durant, anyway. My point was Oden will mean a few wasted drafts for the Sonics. And after missing the entire season with an injury, Swift's value definitely decreased - even if he is a young 7-footer.

12. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

<div class="quote_poster">Sir Desmond Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The only draft I can think of in the past decade where Durant wouldn't have gone number one is the LeBron one.</div>

Disagree. There are two other drafts in the past decade that Durant would have gone 2nd.

1997 - Tim Duncan
    2002 - Yao Ming

13. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

<div class="quote_poster">Iron Shiek Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Disagree. There are two other drafts in the past decade that Durant would have gone 2nd.

1997 - Tim Duncan
    2002 - Yao Ming</div>

And you do see the obvious similarity between those 2 players. Both are big men, as is Oden. So I think that it would be hard for Portland to pass up on Oden.

14. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Iron Shiek Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Disagree. There are two other drafts in the past decade that Durant would have gone 2nd.

1997 - Tim Duncan
    2002 - Yao Ming</div>

Duncan I'll give you, but Yao was still a fair risk and wasn't the clearcut number one until maybe the last month before. Houston passing up the Texas kid would have been big news too.

15. Iron Shiek

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">While meeting with reporters last week, Pritchard unveiled a bit of his thought process when he said: “What you’re after is low risk, high return. One of the guys is a higher risk, higher return, where the other is a little lower risk and maybe not as much return. Our job is to always try to get the highest-return player at the lowest risk we can.”

Pritchard wouldn’t confirm it, but I’m assuming he considers Durant the high-risk/high-return player, Oden the lower-risk player with perhaps not quite as much upside. Then Pritchard was asked if he’s inclined to take risks or surer things.

“Normally, I like the higher risk,” the Portland GM answered. “I’m a high-risk person. Sometimes to get to the championship level, you have to take big risks.”

Pritchard says he wouldn’t read anything into that comment, but it makes you wonder.

Pritchard’s evaluation of the two players:

“Great big men are a rarity in this business. Oden is a big man but is also very athletic, has some unique skills and is a winner. Those things will play heavy in our decision. But Durant has something special. He’s a basketball genetic freak. He loves the game. He’s determined to be one of the best players ever.”</div>

Link

Maybe Portland's brass are higher on Durant than most of us expect. In my gut I honestly think that Portland would be smart to take Durant (preferably after some trade that they have with us) -- and that is not b/c I want Oden. I think Durant will be the better pro.

16. Iron Shiek

<div class="quote_poster">Sir Desmond Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Duncan I'll give you, but Yao was still a fair risk and wasn't the clearcut number one until maybe the last month before. Houston passing up the Texas kid would have been big news too.</div>

Houston has shown that they have no problems passing up on Texas kid's -- just ask Rashard Lewis and Vince Young.

Houston passed up on one of the most accomplished point guards in the history of the NCAA when they chose Yao over Jason Williams. Granted they had Steve Francis at the time but Jason Williams was as highly touted a college basketball player as we have had in the last decade. Remember Dicky V's famous quote, "Jason Williams is the best point guard in the world outside of Jason Kidd."

Carmelo won the national championship as a freshman and he was selected behind Darko. Something tells me that if Durant and Yao were in the same class that 7'6" would mean more in the eyes of NBA management than 26 and 11. And like this draft I would argue that they would be making the wrong decision.

17. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

You guys should be better out with Oden in my opinion. Every shooting guard/point guard needs a good big man. With Rashard Lewis wanting out and becoming a free agent, you guys would be again left with a shooting guard and a small forward combo which hasn't worked in the past 2-3 years. I say if Portland takes Durant, you guys are going to be better than you guys would've been with Durant. Oden gives you more of an inside presence. Oden gives you a big inside punch with Ray Allen. Allen and Oden can be a good inside to out duo.

18. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<div class="quote_poster">Umair Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You guys should be better out with Oden in my opinion. Every shooting guard/point guard needs a good big man. With Rashard Lewis wanting out and becoming a free agent, you guys would be again left with a shooting guard and a small forward combo which hasn't worked in the past 2-3 years.</div>

Better out, not necessarily. Oden is considered the best centre prospect since Patrick Ewing. Durant is considered the best overall PF since Kevin Garnett. Durant, IMO will be better then Lewis ever will. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when has a Small Forward / Shooting Guard Combo ever worked. It can't, there is no such thing. Ray Allen is a shooter, not a passer. Him and Lewis were good together, but they aren't a combo. I think all Seattle needs is a good PG that can co-exist with Durant and Allen or Oden and Allen well enough that they can win games no problem. But to say better off, isn't necessarily true, because IMO, Durant will be much better then Oden.

<div class="quote_poster">Umair Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I say if Portland takes Durant, you guys are going to be better than you guys would've been with Durant. Oden gives you more of an inside presence. Oden gives you a big inside punch with Ray Allen. Allen and Oden can be a good inside to out duo.</div>

Ray Allen will never be an inside out duo with anyone. He is a shooter, and on some occasions a slasher. And to say Durant doesn't give you inside presence would be a lie. He isn't as big a presence as Oden is, no doubt. But you forget he is a PF, he can play with his back to the basket, block shots, shoot 3's, pass and create his own shot. I think Seattle is much better off with a guy like Durant who will demand the ball, then Portland who has a guy who demands it like Roy. Oden doesn't mind being a second option, it won't happen, but he doesn't mind. Durant will take over Seattle, it will be his team not Allen's if he comes to Seattle.

19. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Seattle hasn't been all that good with Rashard Lewis, who is a SF/PF. If they get another SF/PF in Durant, in my opinion, they won't be that good. It's not like Durant will come out of nowhere and start producing. How often is it that you see a big time C in Oden. This is one position Seattle lacks. Ridnour and Earl Watson are ok point guards, not too good or not too bad. Seattle has always lacked the center position. If you consider Durant a PF then he could bring you the inside presence, but Seattle needs a big men. Ray Allen/Oden combo possibly could be as good as Shaq/Bryant combo in about 2-3 years.

20. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<div class="quote_poster">Umair Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Seattle hasn't been all that good with Rashard Lewis, who is a SF/PF. If they get another SF/PF in Durant, in my opinion, they won't be that good. It's not like Durant will come out of nowhere and start producing. How often is it that you see a big time C in Oden. This is one position Seattle lacks. Ridnour and Earl Watson are OK point guards, not too good or not too bad. Seattle has always lacked the center position. If you consider Durant a PF then he could bring you the inside presence, but Seattle needs a big men. Ray Allen/Oden combo possibly could be as good as Shaq/Bryant combo in about 2-3 years.</div>

How can you say that Durant will not start producing. There is so much hype and he can do so much. If he were to not produce all you would hear is "Bust" this and "Over rated" that. He will produce.

To say come out of nowhere is untrue. What does that mean anyway, out of nowhere? He is born to put up big numbers. The same can be said about Oden. He will come out and stink up the place because he won't produce. Both will be contributors, no doubt. Allen and Oden though will most likely co-exist better, because Oden wouldn't mind being a second option to Allen right away. Durant, I think, will demand the ball and take over. Which is exactly what he should do. He is way to talented to not take over. Oden is talented, but if I were Portland, I would take this chance to grab Durant before he can do some big things for Seattle.