Politics Huge California Water Supplier Slashes Summer Deliveries

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Denny Crane, Apr 15, 2015.

1. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Bull Shit! How much water does it take to grow the food for 37 million people? Schools are funded mostly by property tax and teaching in bilingual is more funds yet. Then we have Medical and ...
    Look around you, that circler motion and the downward spiral of everything is called the Coriolis effect, you can observe it real well when you flush the toilet.

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    It takes 80% of the water to grow most of the 350 agriculture products the state grows and exports to the rest of the country.

Feeding 37 million people hasn't at all been a problem.

When they go to the store and buy things, they pay sales tax. At the very least. Most of them pay income tax.

It's hard to argue the state is somehow fucked up when it has the 8th largest economy in the world. That includes all the nations of the world.

3. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    • The state of California, long viewed as the source of food for much of the U.S., now imports a net of $5 billion of food per year. New competitors in China, Japan, and elsewhere in Asia are emerging as cheaper producers of staples like raspberries.
    This is only getting worse as more farm land is taken out of production do to population growth and lack of water. You are talking history here when California was a net exporter of food, now it doesn't feed it's self. But thankyou for the Almonds and Avacodos

http://grist.org/article/us-about-to-become-net-food-importer/
    http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2012/06/a_map_of_far

I could go into the cost of services for all the immigrants but I know you don't really believe they pay their full cost.

4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I doubt California is a net importer of food. I can't find a single link that corroborates your claim or backs up that one good link you posted.

The USA is a net exporter by $33B, and that is a number that is growing year over year. California's share of those exports was about 15% or $3.5B.

We certainly import food because people here want to eat food produced outside of California.

I think we should cut services for you. You deserve them as much as the immigrants do. Think about it.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/11/americans-dining-on-more-imported-food-than-ever/#.VTAVFxPF_48

Our food exports last year totaled $133 billion, while we imported $110 billion worth of food, feed, and beverages. We are importing fish ($17 billion), fruit ($12 billion), and vegetables ($11 billion) for our dinner plates, while exporting soybeans ($26 billion), meat and poultry ($18 billion), and corn ($10 billion) to meet world demand.

By comparison, the last estimate out of USDA of the “direct-to-consumer” market was just $1.2 billion a year. And while U.S. food exports continue to exceed imports – mainly because of huge grain and growing meat exports – the demand from American restaurants and grocery stores for foreign products is creating a bonanza for some.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  5. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    What do you want to cut?

6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Well, you complain about "Medical" being a big cost. Let's start there.

7. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    That was taken away, my life time benefit for medical care was terminated when Obama Care imposed a tax on my employer if they continued to provide the care.
    Then I have VA healthcare as a Class 3 veteran. Do you want that too?

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    You'd take away such things from people who pay taxes. Sure, let's take away what's "owed" you, too.

Or we can treat everyone fairly, which is what government should blindly do.

9. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I didn't get the VA benefit by paying taxes. Nor did I get the Life time medical benefit from my previous employer by paying taxes.
    But I did pay one hell of a pile of tax.

No, Sorry Denny, I find nothing that I or we owe to immigrants (illegal) just because they crossed the boarder.

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    You owe because they paid taxes. Taxes buy services.

11. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Obtuse!

12. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    If they're paying social security, we will be the benefactors of the ponzi scheme. They'll be the suckers paying our benefits.

I'm not seeing why we should deny them anything, nor provide anything more for them than we do for anyone else.

13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Well rejoice Denny, you won! Jerry Brown and Obama will see to it, that you get your way. They won't be wasting any resources on reservoirs and such. Just more stuff for the immigrants, keep them voting for Democrats with a bag full of stuff to hand out. Thats what the carbon tax is for you know! That bill that was in congress when Obama first took over was amazing.
    Amazing for the amount of stuff they were going to fund for the have nots in the Urban areas It was a hell of read, too much even for democrats though. I am pretty sure a watered down version is more to their need to pander for the vote and it sounds like it's right in your wheel house too.

Ha! it's damn sad and amusing at the same time to watch what was once a great place spiral down and can't find up.

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    What "stuff" are you talking about?

If it's school, I'd rather people were educated than not.

Like the global warming alarmists, you offer more heat than light. There's no doom.

15. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Since you are not going to blow any money on reservoirs, and you are in favor of educating the world's population, and give them health care, why not just send the money where they are? It's kind of mean to make them brave the coyotes and the predators and the Boarder Patrol. You need to get a bit more humane
    man! It's mean as hell to put them through this gauntlet just to get votes for Democrats. All this shit for few Jack an Jane lessons? Yeah, I know but changing them to Jesus and Consuelo lessons don't make it better.

16. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Did you know that the world uses:
    • 70 percent freshwater for irrigation
    • 22 percent freshwater for industry
    • 8 percent freshwater for domestic use
    "For instance, wheat requires 132 gallons of water per pound, and a pound of cheese takes about 600 gallons. Therefore, a cheese sandwich represents approximately 100 gallons of water (and that’s just for a couple of cheese slices). Throw in a bag of potato chips and it takes about 150 gallons of water to make your lunch! Thirsty? If you feel like rinsing it down with a cold glass of milk, add an extra 100 gallons of water onto your tab. The sheer amount of water used to make the food we eat every day can be mind-boggling.

On average it takes about 108 gallons of water to produce one pound of corn. If that corn is then used as cattle feed, additional water is required for cleaning and processing. Factoring in feed and water, it can take around 1,800 gallons of water to produce a single pound of beef. Considering that the average American eats about 171 pounds of meat a year – three times the international average and twice the amount recommended for good nutritional health! – it’s clear that by eating less meat, you conserve water and eat a healthier diet. "

Drinking a bit a water, washing your bum, and even washing you car is small stuff.

It takes a lot of water to feed a person.

It is projected the the US will be a net food importer by 2030. I kind of doubt it unless we get this weenie population a whole lot more competitive. To import says some one will let you have the food to import. Maybe not. It is projected that the glaciers with be gone between 30n and 30s. That means no rivers running year round out of the Himalayas and a large chunk of the Andes.
    Man, talk about a water shortage! Where we going to get the food to import? Better get the reservoirs started, if you can't store it in ice you best store the liquid when it comes down if you like to eat. (I would post a link but the data on glaciers was from seminar I attended at SW Community College.)

Note the water needed to grow corn. We currently (taxpayers) pay a subsidy to crow corn to make fuel out of the corn. How fucking dumb is that government work?

http://www.ifad.org/english/water/key.htm

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I'm in favor of giving the people services if they pay taxes. They're paying 7.5% sales tax on everything they buy. That's just one of many taxes these immigrants pay.

8% freshwater for domestic use. They don't use much.

18. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

What are your thoughts on fracking?

19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I am surprised it is working so well. But I have not studied the mechanics. I guess the price of oil is getting down to the point that it doesn't work cost wise. But I don't know.

20. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Ha! You do learn hard. Then think on this, they ain't going to vote for someone offering new reservoirs either.