Hughes = Gone

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Mr. J, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Larry Hughes has come to terms with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a five-year deal, his agent, Jeff Wechsler, told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

"Larry intends to sign a contract with the Cavs when the moritorium ends," Wechsler said. Wechsler wouldn't comment on the actual numbers of the deal, but it's believed to be a five-year deal between $65 million and $70 million. Wechsler told Insider that he informed Washington Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld on Thursday that Hughes is going in a different direction..</div>
    ESPN.com

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Wow..this is like a load of bricks falling on us.

Gilbert Arenas performed at an elite level last year without Larry Hughes, and the Wizards were still a good team. If we can go out and get a decent SG to replace him, I don't think his departure will hurt this team that much.

As much as I hate saying this, and as much as this has been said in the past...this is the big break that Kwame Brown needs. Last year, his attitude was piss poor, but I don't hold his performance against him. He was injury-riddled all last year and that got him down. IF, and that is a big if, he can change his attitude and stay healthy, he just earned himself some more shots per game and a chance to prove to Washington fans that he belongs on this team. I think it is a must we resign him now.

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

This puts the Cavs in the playoffs and the Wizards out at this point. The Wizards will have to depend on Jarvis Hayes and Kwame Brown ... yikes! Let's face it, the Cavs overpaid for Hughes, and if the Wizards had signed him they would be in cap hell for the next 3 years. The Wizards have to fire sale Antawn Jamison IMO, and start rebuilding again. Even if it means trading him for expiring contracts the Wizards have to get him off their books. This opens up more PT for Andray Blatche to play PF. The Wizards could be right back to competing if Blatche and Kwame develop a chemistry and compliment one another's game.

4. Mamba

I don't think it's a problem trading Antawn Jamison, he was rather disappointing this year.

I'm not worried about counting on Kwame right now, as far as I'm concerned, he is gone also. It's the Jarvis Hayes as our starting SG that is really crappy. We need to make a big move here, I think if we can ship Jamison for a good SG, we should. I think Arenas should blossom into an elite player now with Hughes gone also, I'm expecting nothing less than excellence from him all year long. He has stated that he is bulking up some more and working on his defense, let us see that this year Arenas.

5. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

IMO, this is a huge blow to the Wizards. Not only are we losing Larry's consistent offensive production, we are losing a great deal more in his defence. Hughes was able to clamp down on the opposition's top guard (except for D. Wade in round 2) and changed games with his steals. He will be hard to replace and will be sorely missed.

6. Shapecity

Gilbert Arenas is going to have a rough year if they don't get any consistent production from Hayes, Kwame, or Haywood. Defenses are going to throw double teams on him all game long so he gives up the ball or takes a low percentage shot.

Larry Hughes is a chump for leaving a good thing in Washington. After reading his interview in Dime Magazine, I liked the answers he gave regarding his career. He said he regrets leaving the 76ers and having to play for 3 different teams already. He said he was looking forward to retiring as a Wizard and sticking with a team. Now the minute money is thrown his way he bolts to yeat ANOTHER team. Chump move Larry, at least you could have given the Wizards a chance to match that offer.

7. Mr.Wade

Mr.Wade JBB The Canadian Dream

Well usually when players see that much money thrown at them they'll take the offer.

I don't think Larry ever saw THAT much money thrown at him ever.... I mean I think it's a max offer he got, and that is a TON of money. It's really hard to refuse such an offer, and the Wiz woulnd't be able to match that.

8. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr.Wade:</div><div class="quote_post">Well usually when players see that much money thrown at them they'll take the offer.

I don't think Larry ever saw THAT much money thrown at him ever.... I mean I think it's a max offer he got, and that is a TON of money. It's really hard to refuse such an offer, and the Wiz woulnd't be able to match that.</div>
    The Wizards own his Bird Rights since he's played in Washington for 3 years, they could definitely match the offer. The Wizards offered him $12Million a year to start with, the Cavs bid up the offer to $14Million. I guess the Wizards decided that was too, much.

``He rejected our final offer, which we felt was very fair and meaningful,'' Washington president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld said in a telephone interview. ``But we're going to be a competitive team and continue to build and grow.''

9. Mr.Wade

Mr.Wade JBB The Canadian Dream

I know that the Wiz could afford Hughes, but really what's teh point. It'll just hurt their cap and financial structure over the course of the years...

It's low though, I mean the Wiz offered him almost as much.... maybe he really wants to play wiht Lebron.

10. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

Jamison for

Speedy Claxton
    JR Smith
    PJ Brown

Arenas/Claxton
    Smith/Hayes
    Jefferies/Blatche
    Brown/Thomas
    Haywood/Ramos

lol

11. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

why ditch Jamison? He put up good numbers and still has good years left in him. The departure of Hughes is a blow but not a mortal one.

12. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 02civic:</div><div class="quote_post">why ditch Jamison? He put up good numbers and still has good years left in him. The departure of Hughes is a blow but not a mortal one.</div>

Jamison was horrible last year. Don't look at the numbers, the Wizards acquired him hoping he would be the efficient, low post threat that he is capable of, yet he settled for countless outside jumpers which he struggled to make. His defense is ATROCIOUS, I could guard someone better than him, and his lack of desire was evident. He doesn't help us at all IMO, trading him while he is still valuable is a very, very understandable option.

13. swyftdahoe

swyftdahoe JBB JustBBall Member

Shapecity, correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't/wasn't Hughes an unrestricted free agent? The Wiz just caught a bad break.. The market for SG's was just too expensive this summer..

But DAMN the Bucks.. I would've figured that the Wiz would've been willing to replace Hughes with the less expensive Simmons..

14. LebronKINGJames

LebronKINGJames JBB JustBBall Member

how can i join the wizards lounge!

15. og15

og15 JBB *********

Definately a blow to the team, but we'll just have to move on. Simmons has also been taken by the Bucks, so another possible FA is out of the question, and right now the only guy I can think of is Cuttino Mobley.

16. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">how can i join the wizards lounge!</div>
    There is no Wizards Lounge.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Shapecity, correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't/wasn't Hughes an unrestricted free agent? The Wiz just caught a bad break.. The market for SG's was just too expensive this summer..

But DAMN the Bucks.. I would've figured that the Wiz would've been willing to replace Hughes with the less expensive Simmons..</div>

Yes he was unrestricted, but the Wizards offered him a fair contract at $12 Million per season. I just don't like seeing players disrespect the opportunity they get to shine on a team and have 100% support from the fans. Then jump ship for more money. The lack of loyalty is disgusting, I mean $2Million less for the next 5 years is a lot of money, but when you're making $12 Million a year, you're set for life. What makes it worse is when you make false claims in an interview and then go against your word.

17. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

This is a huge loss for Washington. Hughes was one of their main offfensive contributers last saeson and he played great defense. The Wizards are going to have a hard time filling the void Hughes is leaving behind.

18. Da_Future_2k5

Da_Future_2k5 JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">There is no Wizards Lounge.

Yes he was unrestricted, but the Wizards offered him a fair contract at $12 Million per season. I just don't like seeing players disrespect the opportunity they get to shine on a team and have 100% support from the fans. Then jump ship for more money. The lack of loyalty is disgusting, I mean $2Million less for the next 5 years is a lot of money, but when you're making $12 Million a year, you're set for life. What makes it worse is when you make false claims in an interview and then go against your word.</div>

so u would take 2 mil less per year to play with the Wizards instead of jumpin ship to play with King James?? YOUR LYING TO YOURSELF if you say you would. thats a bunch of bologna. lol... the Cavs have showed they are committed to winning now that Gilbert is doing whatever it takes to get LBJ some support.. the Wizards havent shown they are serious about winning at all IMO.

19. us0r

us0r JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Da_Future_2k5:</div><div class="quote_post">the Wizards havent shown they are serious about winning at all IMO.</div>

You're kidding, right?

20. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting us0r:</div><div class="quote_post">You're kidding, right?</div>

I agree, you're kidding...right