OT I-5 Rivalry Renewed Someday?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by dviss1, Jul 26, 2017.

1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Yeah I know it's real GM but it was from the CJ interview:

In an interview in June with C.J. McCollum for The Players Tribune, Adam Silver talked about expansion.

"I think it's just a question of when's the right time to seriously start thinking about expansion," said Adam Silver.
    "Think about the state we're in the league right now, where amazing to me, that coming off these Finals you have some fans saying, 'there's only one good team in the league.'
    "I'm thinking, if people really believe that even though we have 450 of the best players in the world and 450 players can only form one really good team, it doesn't make sense to expand in terms of dilution of talent.
    "I don't want to put a precise timeline on it, but it's inevitable. At some point we'll start looking at growth of franchises. That's always been the case in this league. Seattle will no doubt be on a short list of cities we'll look at."
    Before Game 1 of The Finals, Silver was asked by Danny Leroux about expansion. "Expansion is not something we’re looking at right now. It is less a function of labor peace, it more goes to the strength of a 30-team league," said Silver.
    Silver cited the financial health for all 30 NBA teams needs to be addressed before expansion. "I have no doubt at some point we’ll turn back to it, but at least in my last discussions with our owners on this, most of them said let’s keep focusing on the health of these 30 teams and the quality of the competition. When we feel we’re in a better place with the 30 teams we have, maybe at that point we can look to expand."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...ansion-As-Inevitable-But-Not-Sure-On-Timeline

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

yes, please!

dviss1 likes this.
  3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Man, fuck GS.

4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    It was fun having another NBA team within driving distance for those old matchups between the Blazers and Sonics. I'd love to see that happen again. I don't quite buy that there isn't enough talent in the league for a 32 team format. This recent TV deal just put a crazy amount of money into the system and allowed the Warriors to add a 4th top-level player. That's going to resolve itself over time, probably when Klay or Green decide that they need more money in their next deals.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Why though? They built their team the exact way we should. :dunno:

They drafted everyone except Durant.

Mr. Robot likes this.
  6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I'm not a fan of expansion. I think the league is watered down as it is.

I have spent a lot of time on the trade machine over the past couple months and there's just so much trash in the league right now. Players I would have no interest in acquiring. I feel like the overall talent in the league is much lower than it was in the past.

7. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    I'd rather Seattle got an expansion team over stealing ours. You have to think there's some Vulcan execs that have it in the back of their head right now. It might not happen now, but if it gets to a point in the future when PA is no longer owning the team at some point it might come up.

Chris Craig likes this.
  8. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

yeah I dont get the hate for GSW
    they become champions through the draft, kudos to them

dviss1 likes this.
  9. Natebishop3

Welp, if the team were to move to Seattle, at least that would finally free me from the bullshit that is the NBA. I would lose all interest in the league at that point.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  10. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I think he has a pretty good point there. Right now there are about 3 or 4 teams that can realistically say they have a chance to compete. There needs to be changes in the way the players are distributed around the league. Super teams are pretty much the way it sits right now. You cannot add a team or pair of teams without this getting worse. There needs to be some changes first.

Natebishop3 and dviss1 like this.
  11. Natebishop3

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

Here is the attendance for the NBA last year. The attendance in Atlanta is a joke... and that has been consistent for a while, even when they're successful.

We need to disband some of these teams, not add more. Or at the very least move them. The Hawks have shit attendance. The Nuggets have shit attendance. They have had consistently shit attendance. We were 9th in attendance last year and we were struggling to make the playoffs. The Nuggets were dead last and they were right there in the race with us.

SheedSoNasty likes this.
  12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Legitimate question:

What does crowd attendance have to do with expansion? What does attendance in Atlanta have to do with Seattle getting a team? Seattle would probably sell out their arena every night.

Last year's finals was the 3rd highest rated ever:
    1. 2010 Boston Celtics vs Los Angeles Lakers Game 7 15.6/27
    2. 2013 San Antonio Spurs vs Miami Heat Game 7 15.3/26
    3. 2017 Cleveland Cavaliers vs Golden State Warriors Game 5 13.5/25
    4. 2011 Dallas Mavericks vs Miami Heat Game 6 13.3/23

13. Natebishop3

What does crowd attendance have to do with expansion? If a city isn't supporting a team, like Atlanta isn't supporting the Hawks, then it is better to move that team to a city that will support it.

What does attendance in Atlanta have to do with Seattle getting a team? Because there are a number of teams that are getting shit support from their city. Some of the teams at the bottom of attendance are there because the teams are poorly run and the fans stopped caring. That's not really their fault, but there are some teams that are successful enough that there should be fan support. I mentioned Atlanta and Denver as two teams that really should have better support from their fans. Milwaukee is another good example. They have one of the most exciting young players in the league in Giannis. They were 27th in attendance last year. Meanwhile the Bulls were 41 and 41 last year and led the league in attendance.

I think we can find a team that that could be moved to Seattle rather than create a whole new team that's going to water down the league further.

GrandJury, BBert and kjironman1 like this.
  14. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I don't understand why Atlanta doesn't have better attendance. They honestly should be a free agent destination too.

GrandJury and kjironman1 like this.
  15. Natebishop3

Too many options.

The Falcons were 14th in attendance last year. The Braves are currently 12th.

They already lost the Thrashers back in 2011. On the other hand, they haven't really had an exciting star player in a long time. They had Mutombo in his prime, and Steve Smith, but their last real star player was Dominique Wilkens. They're horrible at drafting.

16. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Fuck Seattle.

Rivalry not renewed. It's still there.

17. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Seattle can go fuck Raymond Felton.

With Darius Miles.

theprunetang likes this.
  18. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...hmmm, Kevin Durant at the center of it all :devilwink: KD moved the team to OKC and KD bitched out to guarantee Championship ring layup(s) with GS :dunno: when KD is washed up and at the end of his career he will return to Seattle when the NBA expands in 2040 and retire where it all started :crystalball:

Dougnsalem likes this.
  19. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

If the NBA expands they need to put both teams on the west coast and realign the conferences to make travel equal for all teams. Put Memphis and Minnesota in the East and add teams to Seattle and Las Vegas.

kjironman1, dviss1 and Chris Craig like this.
  20. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I was thinking along these lines. Along as the NBA doesn't try to hijack the Blazers. I think as long as Allen owns the Blazers the NBA will get a middle finger if they propose such a move, though I'm not sure how much power Allen has vs Vulcan in the matter. I know Silver is a weasel and I wouldn't put it past him to try.

I think Vegas and Seattle are the perfect two spots for expansion teams. After the Raiders move to Vegas it won't be too long before an NBA team is right behind them.

Expansion in the west and a realignment is exactly what the NBA needs.

In my summer bordem I actually created teams in Vegas and Seattle on 2K17. The Las Vegas Luck and funny enough I didn't name the Seattle team the Sonics. I came up with the Seattle Reign.

And I just saw thats the name of a womans soccer team in Seattle damn

Any NBA team in Seattle will be called the Sonics anyway.