I have no issue with pickups like Soriano

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Messiah717, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

They don't have long term contracts and their former teams are willing to eat a large portion of their remaining deals. More importantly since they clearly will not be resigned the Yankees will get the draft pick when they go elsewhere.

2. Yblue

Yblue Member

Its meh to me on the face of the move itself. But what it points out is the continued lack of vision by the gM and front office. THAT is the concerning thing. There seems to be no end in sight to the poor direction of this team.

3. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

I wish they could get Gene Michael back...

4. Messiah717

The problems start when you start handing out multiple long term big money contracts. It handcuffs you in regards to what you can do moving forward when the dynamics of your team change. When those players start showing signs of diminishing skills.

5. Yblue

Yblue Member

Yes but there is no solution in place to fix these issues. The yankees farm system is a mess. They cannot develop impact players of any kind, especially starters. So as money rolls off the books, the only real way to "fix" it, to get back to championship ways, is to dish out those multi year deals again...starting with Cano.
    SO bringing in Soriano is not the issue in itself, but it does point to the bigger issue. The yankees have no where to turn to fix their problems. They do not have the proper decision makers in place, no one creative enough to do anything but to take on other teams salary or hand out a bigger deal to land the guy they want, nor the proper player develoopment people to help produce from within. We can even start to wonder whats up with the medical staff and all these reinjuries. Clearly guys are being rushed back. Without producing or aquiring low cost players, its ripe for a repeat of all these same mistakes again.

6. Messiah717

You have to give them the chance and hope they do it right. Their top prospects right now are 20-22 years old. Hopefully a couple of them pan out.

7. Yblue

Yblue Member

Almost every major prospect on this team has gotten hurt or regressed. Its not looking very good. As i stated, i have no faith this current front office, starting with Cashman are the right people going forward. Not creative enough, at all, and clearly not employing the right people below them. Cashman has had his chances with the farm, and he has fumbled badly.