"I want the European Cup"

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CelticKing, Oct 10, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

<span class="subtitulo">"I want the European Cup"</span></p>

<span class="b">Jos&eacute; Mar&iacute;a Guti&eacute;rrez, &lsquo;Guti&rsquo;, sat down with sports radio's Radio Marca for a broad interview that covered the current state of the team, the first month of the season, his expectations of what's to come, and he hinted that his main objective is winning the European Cup.</span></p>

<span class="par">How was today's training session?
    It was all physical work today. It was very hard, but it helped increase stamina and strength. Those who were called up will have less time to recover, so it's time for us to work hard. There's a lot of physical and mental wear and tear when you play. Spending ten days in national team camp and playing on Wednesday and Sunday takes its toll.

How do you feel on a personal level?
    I feel good. I am happy with the team's performance so far. For someone who has always had trouble making it into the starting eleven and has always started by warming the bench, being a starter now makes me feel great. Earning a starting position comes when it comes. I would have like to play more, but I am pleased with everything that I have contributed.</p>

You've gotten off to a spectacular start this season.
    We have played some very good matches. The fans have been excited, and we have just the right team for that. But we have also made many changes and need time to assimilate them all. The great start allows for ease of mind. It's been a while since we got off to such a fine start.</p>

<span class="par">Is there a good atmosphere in the dressing room?
    There always has been. It's a lot more fresh now. We all knew each other before. Now it's younger and full of players who are eager to accomplish great things, and that's what shows on the pitch.

Is Barcelona back?
    They were slacking and it looked like they might have troubled gelling, but their attack is in great form and they have Messi, one of the best players in the world. Their talent is impressive when they pressure and run, but that doesn't mean that Real Madrid isn't strong. They still have to face a lot of good teams who will give them a run for their money.</p>

Did you have hopes of being called up to the national team?
    I've said it several times before and I don't want to have to repeat myself. I cannot go with the current national team coach. It's an important match. It would be a terrible failure if Spain didn't qualify for the 2008 Euro.</p>

<span class="par">And Ra&uacute;l...
    Undoubtedly. It&rsquo;s hard to understand. He may not have been in great form before, but he is better than ever now. Villa is injured... Ra&uacute;l should be there. But this is just my opinion.

The match against Espanyol will be your 450th official fixture. You&rsquo;ve been a starter in 60% of them.
    That&rsquo;s a lot, but the percentage would be much higher if I had played as much as I wanted.</p>

You talked to Schuster about your situation on the team this summer.
    We never talked about reinforcements. We talked in order to get to know each other. He told me what he wanted of me and I said I would feel comfortable wherever I could help the team from.</p>

You had offers to leave this summer. Did you even think about it?
    No, I didn&rsquo;t. I feel very comfortable here. I recently extended my contract for many more years. I never thought about leaving.</p>

Will the League be decided between two teams?
    I hope not; it wouldn&rsquo;t be good. Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla and others have reinforced themselves well. The League has just started and we all have our good moments. I think there will be four or five strong contenders for the title.</p>

<span class="par">How do you feel with Schuster as coach?
    It is very important that he used to play, and more so at Real Madrid. He says things to your face. That&rsquo;s better sometimes, as opposed to the complete opposite. He still has great touch on ball, like years ago.

What do you think about those who say that players should take it easy with their national teams?
    It&rsquo;s a delicate matter. People don&rsquo;t understand it when a player injures himself in an international friendly and is forced to miss three months&rsquo; worth of games with his club. This problem should be dealt with and a new calendar would probably have to be drawn up.</p>

Which title would you like to win the most? The Champions League. It is our duty to fight with the best to win it.</p>

[​IMG]</p>

[​IMG]</p>

[​IMG]</p>
    </span></p>
    </span></p>
    </span></p>
    </span></p>

2. CelticKing

Re:

I've always liked Guti. One of the best midfielders out there IMO. Very smart player.</p>

3. DDRickyDD

DDRickyDD SportsTwo Member.

Student
    Re:

I think Real Madrid will get to the Semi Final's if the CL.</p>

4. CelticKing

Re:

Pretty good chance of winning it all now that they've got Sneijder and all those Holland guys. lol</p>

5. Art_gunner4life

Art_gunner4life DYC Arsenal Fan

Re:

Underrated player in my opinion. Would help a lower profile club with his expirience.</p>