I would cut Crabbe

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

While Wright had a disappointing season Blazer fans are undervaluing him too much. He was a solid starter as a stretch 4 when LaMarcus was injured. He can hit open 3's. He doesn't get killed on defense. He has some length. Obviously he is a step down from Nic or Wes but he's vastly superior to bench players like Babbitt or Pavlovic. He belongs in the NBA and can fill a spot in the rotation if need be. I have more hope for Barton next year but Wright is a good insurance option if there is an injury or Will the Thrill is too out of control. I do like Aminu defense but as an overall basketball player I'm not sure he's as valuable as Wright.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I'm hoping Wright can turn things around. He just never got into a groove last season.

3. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

4. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Can't we bundle Crabbe, Wright and Victor for somebody else's disgruntled PG?

If we do cut Crabbe, will it be to keep Bobby Brown? I hated his first game, but he's being given a lot of minutes, while the more-heralded (in the US, at least) Appling is glued to the bench.

5. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

That's 3 wasted roster spots. Why would another team do that?

Maybe if Felton gets another gun charge, the Mavs would do that trade. Maybe.

6. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    As has been said before, the Spurs could probably make Victor into a useful contributor. And I wouldn't put it past them to get something out of Crabbe, too. Before Patty went down I would've said they could spare Cory/Corey whatsisname.

7. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

we can trade a #1 draft pick finally

do it. do it now.

8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I just watched the first quarter of the game from last night. I noticed that with the offense this team is running it appears that the wing does not not touch the ball much. He is just standing in the corner. At the beginning of the game it was CJ (While Brown and Will got all the touches) then it was Crabbe (while CJ and Will got the touches)

I didn't have time to watch the rest of the game yet, but it makes me wonder if Crabbe is getting a chance to show what he can do. The coaches know more as they see him in practice. Hard to say, but I agree he is probably the odd man out. We need another PG.

As for Leonard......I would give him one more year unless he is needed in a trade. You don't cut a big with his offensive skills. The guy has a minor injury so they are not playing him. That sucks as he needs playing time experience, but I don't see why you would cut him. We have had big stiffs on this team before who had no chance of handling a pass, shooting it, or passing it without a turnover. Leonard is no where close to being that bad. As I have mentioned I was not a fan of the pick on draft day, but I still think he has potential. He is a 7'1" coordinated 22 year old.....that alone is worth another year. He needs playing time. to develop better defensive skills.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  9. 3RA1N1AC

the one little baseline dribble drive for the reverse layup by crabbe last night looked like an nba move, he should do that 10 times a game

10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

If we had a reason to, like needing to sign someone who would actually be a contributor this year, then I can see it. OK, sure. But doing it almost Jay because? I think that's just a bad idea. It likely won't end up being here, but look how many people listed ex-Blazers as targets this offseason. Look how many wondered why we got rid of patty so quickly, on a whim. Star players will generally show themselves as such immediately, role players take time. Again, maybe it's not with us, I just don't see a need for cutting him right now.

11. 3RA1N1AC

this is pretty much it.

if we can grab a good vet min guy in his stead? do it.

if blake or (god forbid) lillard gets injured and we need another pg? do it.

until then, use him to listen in on the other teams huddles

12. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Crabbe is our Radar O'Reilly.

13. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Funny, the only flash of goodness I saw in Crabbe was when he was attaching the rim.

14. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Sorry Nate, but if we make a trade it'll involve Joel not Crabbe. Crabbe's not going anywhere (Olshey won't give up on a prospect so easily). He's just a 15th man.

15. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Then why would he trade Joel? Then we are short a quality big man...like last year, leaving no room for injuries.

16. Natebishop3

I don't think they'd get rid of Joel because he can play both power forward and center. He's the perfect utility guy. If we have an injury at either position, he can slide in. I doubt he'd be traded.

Crabbe on the other hand is buried. We have almost no use for him right now. That's why I'm saying I would start looking around and if we could find a third point guard or another wing, I would cut him.

17. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    We have FOUR centers! IMHO, when we signed Kaman to a shorter deal we were committing to Leonard leaving Joel with the short straw. We have no problems with injuries to Centers. If LMA gets injured TRob will start and if history is our guide Wright will back him up. Things get dicier if Lillard gets injured in which case having Joel will not be helpful.

18. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Note to Nate: Joel is a big juicy $3 Million expiring contract.

19. Natebishop3

Yeah, I know he is, and I would deal him if the right deal came along, but I think it's less likely that we move him. The only reason Wright was playing power forward last year was because Freeland was injured.

20. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Only the trade deadline 8-ball knows for sure. That's when his value will be the highest.

Good point.

Let me expound a bit. I have not seen a comfortable Wright in the NBA: last summer league, last season, or this summer league. When I see a comfortable Wright that sucks, I'll be willing to write him off. That hasn't happened yet.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014