Trade If push comes to shove: Dame Lillard or Shaedon Sharpe

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mr. Robot, Mar 25, 2023.

?

If push comes to shove, who are you keeping: Dame Lillard or Shaedon Sharpe

1. Dame Lillard (lets ride with him till the end)

31.4%
  2. Shaedon Sharpe (we have to build for the future)

37.1%
  3. Why are you pushing/shoving me?

31.4%
  1. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I would say that the path is starting Sharpe at SG with Dame at PG. Resigning JG to play one of the two forward roles. Trading for an all star and resigning Jerami to start at the 3 or 4 depending on the all star. Also making sure that Nurk is outgoing in a trade and starting a C who can switch well and defend in space.

Let's see where we end up in the draft and go from there but if next season we are starting Dame and Shaedon in the back court and have a new all star and a good bench, we should be contenders.

2. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    That Payton signing was the biggest what the fuck move. It was pretty unanimous on this forum it was awful, which is rare.

Good on splitting quickly on him after they realized it was awful which is something I don’t think Neil would have done.

My issue is that this team has regressed in talent, while Lillard is getting older and resigned players for more than their market value. Obvious blow it up time. Jazz ownership realized they should blow it up way sooner and they had more of a shot at a title than the Blazers do and a player that in my eyes is on the same caliber as Lillard in Mitchell, but was much younger.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  3. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

From recollection we would have also been able to retain Hart. We had Joe Ingles contract as well as Eric Bledsoe.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220426115148/https://hoopshype.com/

I think it was suggested as Julius Randle and the No. 11 pick to the Blazers in exchange for Eric Bledsoe, Justise Winslow, the No. 7 and No. 36 picks.

The drawbacks being Randle is a bit of a headcase. But again, from my perspective, let's give Dame a chance to lead him. I bet Dame would be all for it.

But I also like Sharpe, a lot.

But, Dame, Hart, Grant, Randle, Nurc is probably one of the best starting units in the league. And Ant off the bench would at least be able to keep us scoring.

SharpesTriumph and CJ_is_Gone like this.
  4. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

They had Bledsoes contract they could have traded

5. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Blazers could've traded Eric Bledsoe for Randle instead of cutting Bledsoe to save cash.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  6. SharpesTriumph

No; not even close.

blazerkor and AngryFan like this.
  7. SharpesTriumph

This could certainly make the Blazers much improved, maybe get in the playoffs. But they'd be nowhere close to contending and no real assets to make another move.

The ship has sailed on contending with Dame soon.

Time to build for a longer horizon. I'm fine with keeping Dame but it needs to be a Kobe/Reggie Miller type twilight to his career where we also build around a bunch of youth.

8. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

This construction is weird, and isn’t how trades work. The center of a debate like this is on the return, which provides context for who you might give up.

if I’m getting a boat of picks back, I’m moving dame. If I’m getting an aging star back, what’s the point of moving dame, and is said player even worth sharpe?

9. SharpesTriumph

Sharpe starting with Dame is not a contending backcourt. I'm as big a Sharpe fan as any, but he's just not going to be a 2 way contending level starter next season.

Grant is the only player that could play at that level next year as a starter with Dame. Do the Blazers have the assets to get 3 more of those starters? No I don't believe it's possible.

Maybe I'd the Blazers get the #1 pick, and trade away all of that #1 pick, Sharpe, and Ant. But even then that's an unlikely maybe with a lot of risk of being an absolute disaster.

Time to plan on a road that doesn't involve contending next season.

10. Samuel

Blazers fans and certain blog boys have long overrated expiring contracts. I’d be careful with that narrative.

11. SharpesTriumph

Yes I too find it extremely unlikely. But for the sake of discussion, maybe Dame says I don't want to wait for young rookies or second year players to develop, so trade for veterans or trade me away. Could effectively put the Blazers in a spot to have to make such decision.

12. SharpesTriumph

I don't disagree, but the notion a trade could've only been constructed with Hart and Winslow as pieces was false.

13. Samuel

What/whose notion?

14. Phatguysrule

Knicks fans and jockeys seemed all over it. In fact, they seemed giddy at the prospect.

blazerkor likes this.
  15. Phatguysrule

Disagree. Not many teams could match up. Doubling Dame would be nearly impossible.

Three of the five are excellent to elite rebounders, amd Dame is a very solid rebounder when he needs to be (for a PG). Jeremy Grant is the only below average rebounder, and he can easily be safety.

And every player except Dame are very good defenders.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    Propagandist likes this.
  16. SharpesTriumph

Post I replied to.

17. SharpesTriumph

Doubling Dame would be easy, just leave Nurk or Hart open.

I wouldn't call Randle a very good defender. Nurk is solid but exposed against small lineups, and can't play big minutes, not has he been healthy a whole season.

It would certainly be much better than the last two seasons. But it's not a contending team, nor close to one of the "best starting lineups" in the league.

18. Samuel

TBF Knicks fans and jockeys are where I go for hilarious content, not legit ideas about basketball…

Guys have a tough stretch and Joe from Long Island wants to drive him to the airport himself.

19. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I thought the last adjustment to the CBA included a provision that non-guaranteed contracts had to be fully guaranteed to be traded after the trade deadline

of course, I guess he could have been guaranteed for the next season than traded

20. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

It’s my understanding that whatever portion of his contract that was going to be needed to salary match would’ve had to have been guaranteed for this season but the rumor was that the Knicks were cool with eating that to move up because they thought the Randle contract was bad at the time. It was just a rumor though so who knows.

Phatguysrule likes this.