OT If you were BOSTON, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Harry's Raincoat, May 16, 2017.

?

What would you do?

1. Draft at #1 (Probably Fultz or Ball)

66.7%
  2. Trade Pick for veteran(s)

23.1%
  3. Trade down for non-PG rookie

10.3%
  1. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Now seriously? It's difficult to match Butler's 17M? They just put Zeller in there and it's almost perfect with whatever else they add. Their pick, Crowder, Brown whatever. They cannot figure something out you think?

BonesJones likes this.
  2. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

You're right but... I/we should be involved & I wanna unload our doo-doo damn it!!!:tongue2: Also, the way I looked @ it, IF we got involved w/ my scenario, it would allow Chi. to keep their pick & Bos. could get ours (most likely our 15th bc Chi. has the 16th Bos. would want:wink:).

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  3. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I think utimately Boston will draft Fultz and trade him and a few pieces to Chicago for Butler.

They could draft Fultz, keep him and trade a few minor pieces away to make room and sign Hayward like has been suggested.

I was thinking with a bit of humor that they should draft Ball to piss off the Lakers but then LA would get Fultz, and I dont want that to happen. Besides Ball is more talk then player. Let LA have him.

4. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Now that I think about it, if I were Boston I would:

Draft Fultz
    Trade Brown, Smart, Rozier, and Jackson to a young team for 1 or 2 future 1sts
    Trade Crowder, 36, and 53 to Portland for their 2018 and 2020 1sts.
    Use the resulting cap space to sign Hayward and Griffin/Ibaka
    Use the MLE and minimum contracts to sign guys like Sefelosha, David West, and Tiago Splitter

Thomas / Fultz
    Bradley / Fultz
    Hayward / Sefelosha
    B.G. or Ibaka / West
    Horford / Splitter.

Future 1sts other than their own: 2018 BKN, 2018 POR, 2019 LAC, 2019 MEM, and the 1st they got for Brown and Smart.

In 2018, they could land a guy like Ayton, and use the future 1sts to fill out their bench. That starting lineup would contend, and Fultz, Ayton, and other young players drafted with those picks would be the future.

This is the best way to build a team IMO. Acquire/sign players, then trade those players for picks and get cap space, then use cap space to replace said players with equivalent or better FA players.
    In the end, you add free picks, and stay just as good if not get better.
    I'm gonna call it the Addition Through Recyclization process, or ATR. I'm gonna make this a thing.

I'll explain it through another example:
    Say (hypothetically) Portland is at the cap line and trying to contend.
    They have an older a SF who is willing to sign with them for $9M that's better than Harkless.
    A young team is willing to trade a future 1st for Harkless because he's a solid young player on a decent contract.
    So Portland trades Harkless for a future 1st, then replaces Harkless with a better player via free agency.
    So Portland adds picks by recycling Harkless for a better player.
    Addition Through Recyclization - ATR.

5. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

If they get Fultz, they won't need to add pieces to get Butler. In fact I feel like Ainge would not do that even if Chicago added a piece. Butler is great but that ship has sailed IMO, Bulls should have taken that deal in February when it was apparently on the table.

They will have two great talents in Fultz and Brown and will acquire another one next year as Brooklyn's pick will almost certainly be top 5.

If anything I would look to get ANOTHER top 10 pick in this year's draft, without sacrificing Brooklyn's 2018 pick preferably. If someone would take Bradley or Crowder offer for that, do this. Perfect scenario would be trading with Orlando and getting Tatum or Isaac at no. 6. Crowder plus future 1st but not Brooklyn's. You would both have the team for now (get Hayward and Griffin in free agency) and the team for future. They are in a really great position now.

6. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

I have a feeling Ainge is trying to drive the price up for Thomas in order to trade him. He also might be just driving demand for Thomas but not make a deal unless it is one sided in their favor.

Have not watched enough college basketball to have an educated opinion but think they have to get the best player available regardless of position. Try to land a major free agent. If the only way to land a major FA is to trade the player they get in the draft for an established superstar, I would then make the deal.

7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

The answer is simple. Are you 1 player away from beating the Lebrons. To me, that answer is no. If it's no, build for the future

GDiama and Reep like this.
  8. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

That series will have given them answers. They should be looking for a trade partner to deal IT now and perhaps also try to offload Bradley while his contract is still great. They already have one long term piece in Jaylen Brown, they will get Fultz as another and they should do their best to get another player in the top 10 of this draft it it's possible. I guess trading Bradley and a future Memphis/Boston pick for no. 11-12 and getting Zach Collins is doable. Then you get Brooklyn's 2018 unprotected pick and turn it into another talent and look to deal Thomas for a young piece during season. Given Porzingis uncertain status at New York, maybe they will be able to get him for Thomas + Brooklyn's top 3 protected pick/rights to swap.

9. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

10. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

"Lottery pick" doesn't cut it. 12 or 13 is still lottery. They need to be buying themselves into top 6-7 with IT.

11. BigGameDamian

If IT was a Blazers he'd be untouchable. I guess Danny Angie is more of the gambling type.

12. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

1. Draft Fultz

2. Trade IT to MIL for either Parker or Maker+Future 1st.

3. Extend Bradley

4. With all available cap space this summer, explore a deal for a shot blocker.

13. BigGameDamian

Boston's a large market. They don't have to worry about big time players bolting once there contact is up.

14. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

That literally makes no sense. You were doing so good.

BonesJones likes this.
  15. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

The only shot blocker who is really available in this years free agency is McGee. They should rather explore a trade for Whiteside and have the assets to do so.

In free agency they have to go all in for Hayward. His relationship is Stevens probably means that he might sign there if offered a max deal.

16. Mediocre Man

Would you trade a top 10 pick for a guy as limited as Thomas?

17. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

In 2016 draft easily because the talent there was really limited. More limited than Thomas.

18. Mediocre Man

I think 8 or 9 out of the top 11 will be pretty good pros

19. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I don't think he's that shit. For a team like Minnesota having a point guard like him could be very beneficial. Actually, they should be the ones trading their pick for him this year, unless they can get Dennis Smith with their pick.

20. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

I didn't say they won't be good pros, but Thomas is not just a good pro. He is limited for an All Star player, but not limited at all compared to good role players.