If you're not on the L-Train, what are you waiting for?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer Fanatic, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Great post! This is exactly the problem with searching for shots that are only such and such percentage and saying the team should or shouldn't shoot those. The long two point shot is obviously worse than dunks, but Brian fails to understand in his arguments that the long two pointers are needed as a part of the offense to setup shots at the rim and open 3's.

Its like saying a team is better with 0 turnovers, because a possession with a turnover always produces 0 points. But smart teams know if you accept a few turnovers in a game the team can get vastly more efficient shots on 50 other attempts.

2. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I'm positive that Brian doesn't understand this obvious point, since I've asked him about Stotts' use of LMA, and why the Blazers are so efficient on offense.

The answer I've received is "they can be better."

3. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Nobody's anti-LMA here, least of all me. If you can't/won't/don't want to listen to me saying he's not the main reason we're better this year, don't.

Prophet's never without honor, except on his own board. I'll say it again:

1) LMA is the best PF in the league not named LeBron.
    2) When he is in the paint, LMA is elite.
    3) When he is shooting J's, he is as efficient as Andrea Bargnani.
    4) He does #3 3x as much as he does #2
    5) The Blazers have gone from 33-49 to 31-9 due in large part to their jump from #16 to #1 in offensive efficiency (points per possession).
    6) LMA's shooting and ORebounding have not been any better than they were in last year's #16-ranked, 33-49 offense (he takes 3 more shots per game)

I choose to think that Lillard (whose game HAS improved significantly across the board), Wes having a career year, Nic becoming a walking assault on a triple-double and Lopez-being-Lopez have all had a much greater effect on the team going from #16 to #1 and therefore to the top of the NBA. That doesn't mean LMA sucks. LMA's great, and having a guy who you can't leave alone for a J or let into the paint without a double team is awesome. But when he shoots contested 2pt-jumpers (which he's doing at a rate higher than every single person in the NBA) it's detrimental to the team.

4. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Can you show how man are contested versus wide open?

5. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

How so? Others may say that the threat of those shots create opening for the excellent perimeter players who don't create their own shots. You don't have a stat to refute that, so post again about LMA's jump shooting.

6. BrianFromWA

No, it's not, because (again, as I"ve said multiple times here), when LMA accomplishes the spacing to set up shots at the rim and open 3's he doesn't need to shoot it then. His job has been done. There is someone who is being sagged off of or who is open if he's being doubled, or he can take just about anyone in the league off the dribble. There's literally no reason to shoot contested turnaround J's at a 38% clip, or to shoot contested 16-23 footers. If they're contested, you've already done what you're supposed to do. If they're wide-open, by all means, take the shot. If they're not, give the contested shot to a guy who's shooting better than you on a shot that makes an entire point more than you. That's simplistic, but I feel as if I'm not conveying information properly here, because it seems so cut-and-dried to me. :dunno:

7. BrianFromWA

Are you serious? I'll need some time, but it can be done.

8. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I'd also like to see how many of LMA's "contested" jumpers come with the shot clock being a factor. Seems to me that at times, he's shooting contested jumpers to beat the shot clock when nothing else happens during those rare occasions.

9. BrianFromWA

So give it to those excellent perimeter players who don't create their own shots! You finally get me! YES!

10. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Yes, I'm serious. Please also factor in time left on the shot clock, too, on those contested jumpers.

11. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Who would you trade him for to remove this detriment? Any player in his position and at his salary range. This team needs to improve and LA won't change, so it sounds like we should trade him to get the player who won't do things detrimental to the team.

Is there a power forward who would play better for this team than LA? If so, name him. If not, shut up and sit down. We all know his fucking weaknesses. He's not perfect. But who cares if you say it ten times or a hundred if it changes nothing?

I'm fucking pissed more because I have to read this shit because everyone here is a fucking mod. LET ME IGNORE MODS DAMMIT!

12. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

No, actually, I'm seeing the glaring holes in your adamant argument.

13. BrianFromWA

As posted earlier in the thread, 15% of his shots are in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock, and his eFG is 37% on them. But his eFG% on all shots with less than 14 seconds on the clock is 42%. When he shoots with more than 14 seconds on the clock, it's 59%

14. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I think that just validated my opinion. Better rep me, BC. :cheers:

15. BrianFromWA

You can't be serious. Please expound on that.

16. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

No, I'd like to know contested shots at the end of the shot clock. I don't care about 14 seconds left. That's an arbitrary statistic. You made the claim these contested shots hurt the team. Show how many contested shots are in the last 3 seconds of the shot clock, please.

17. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

HIS ASSISTS ARE UP YOU BOWLING SHOE!

18. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

You should read my questions to you. I've already expounded on your bogus stats.

19. BrianFromWA

Why can't LMA play better for this team? Why do you want to get rid of him? Obviously there are about 4 people in his thread who don't know his fucking weaknesses, because they keep telling me he's the reason the team is 31-9, rather than career years from 4 other players.

Why are you guys so stubborn to say that he can just be a guy who's the best PF in the NBA not named LeBron, and a big part of the team's success? WTF is this "Better get on the LMA MVP train, h8er!" schtick you guys are following Fanatic on?

20. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Don't crack, BC. I've been banned for less in the face of ridiculous reasoning by other posters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.