If you're not on the L-Train, what are you waiting for?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer Fanatic, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Could you answer a question without a quip or a sarcastic slight?

2. Strenuus

It doesn't. There's quality posters that have less than 1,000 posts in 3-4 years.

3. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I trust jayps more than you; if he told me to shut up and sit down I probably would.

4. Strenuus

Quality over quantity. I have a shit ton of posts, but I've probably said next to nothing worth of anything. I'm sure there's posters with much less than me and more time than me that have said far more relevant stuff than my candy ass.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  5. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I agree with this. There is plenty to criticize Brain's opinion about w/out resorting to grammar insults. BF, this board expects better than that, although I do find myself agreeing with your pro-Blazer takes more often than otherwise.

6. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

You're quoting me, but responding to Brian. I think that is causing some of the disconnect.

7. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

That's a bit far-fetched, since you've periodically put me on ignore over the years. You even gave me the Rep/Ignore title, and I'm not sure that one has ever been topped on this or any Blazer board!

8. BlazerCaravan

Repped because you're a quality poster in my book.

9. BlazerCaravan

Shockingly, I trust jayps more than you, too. But you've been off ignore for a year now and I regret nothing. :cheers:

10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Don't sell yourself short. I think you've been a pretty solid poster on here.

11. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Ok, but why? I've pointed out multiple times (I'll do it again) why I question it:
    1) LMA is the best PF in the league not named LeBron.
    2) When he is in the paint, LMA is elite.
    3) When he is shooting J's, he is as efficient as Andrea Bargnani.
    4) He does #3 3x as much as he does #2
    5) The Blazers have gone from 33-49 to 31-9 due in large part to their jump from #16 to #1 in offensive efficiency (points per possession).
    6) LMA's shooting and ORebounding have not been any better than they were in last year's #16-ranked, 33-49 offense (he takes 3 more shots per game)
    7) Because you think it's important, I'll add that his assists are up 0.3apg and his AST% has gone from 13.2 to 13.9, and TO% has gone down from 8 to 7. I think that's great as well.

If you want to say he's the best player on the team and has been, sure. If you call that MVP, then ok...I'm not sold on that yet, but that's not a 12-page discussion. If you say he's the main reason we're 31-9 vs. 33-49, I disagree, and b/c of that I think it's an open question on who Team MVP is.

12. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

So what is LMA's trade value now?

13. BrianFromWA

I mean, if you don't want stats, look at the last two games. SAS and DAL had no one...NO ONE...who could handle LMA in the paint. He had a variety of moves. He had moves still left in the bag after his 6 makes. He shot the majority of his shots in the paint. Not coincidentally (because he's elite in the paint) he shot 67%. He scored efficiently. He started drawing double-teams. The team got open dunks, open 3's, fouls on pick-and-rolls. They were up almost 40 against a playoff team on the road. How is it hating, or not being a Blazer fan, to ask the question why he's shooting so many low-percentage jumpers when he can score at will against almost anyone in the league in the paint (even if it's just 50-60% of his shots, like tonight), and in doing so open massive passing lanes/open 3pt shooters?

14. BlazerCaravan

Okay, I can calm down enough to treat with you. I think about the 89-90 team a lot, cause they were my first team. This discussion, to me, feels like someone on one dude arguing that Clyde is our MVP, and someone on the other side arguing that Buck us our MVP, because if Clyde was so great, why did the team kind of suck before Buck arrived?

I'm not a Clyde partisan, necessarily, but he was our best player and in my opinion our MVP in 89-90. You could make a case for Terry, but I think without Clyde, with a different SG like Ainge, the blazers don't play against Detroit that year.

This is where I'm coming from. It's an emotional place (no kidding!) but a fun one to be in. What's your opinion, Brian?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  15. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Was it a question?

16. BlazerCaravan

Yeah, forgot to hit shift before hitting the period/question mark key on my ipad. Sorry.

17. BrianFromWA

It's a decent parallel, but I think the difference breaks down a bit. I have to think about it, though---I haven't been thinking hypothetically tonight.

I'll buy LMA as Clyde--best player for the team for a while and a legit all-star hitting (in?) his prime, but LMA's at a slight level below Clyde throughout the league. Lillard isn't Buck, though (who I love, but who suborned himself to Clyde and TP), or Porter. I mean, on the same list that has LMA as #3 for MVP they have Lillard as #7. It would be as if, instead of Buck, we brought in someone of Dominique's ability (all-star, top 10 MVP complement to the star guard) who did the same things for the team Buck did while scoring 20+. If Clyde had negligible performance increases, but the new stud in 'Nique massively improved, improved the team 15 places in offense, got an all-star bid and maybe a top 10 MVP, then people wouldn't be off-base for thinking that the new big man opening things up for Clyde to do his thing, TP and Kersey having a career year and Duck having a usual solid season, that maybe Clyde wasn't the MVP? Even if he was the better player over his career?

I don't know....

18. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

It means, that it is not really unrealistic to assume that an account with 700 post over a 5 year period, who I have never seen post in the past 3 months, and who's first response is an amorphous comment about trolling and ridiculous BS, 13 pages into a thread about LA... is a duplicate account. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Still doesn't diminish the perception.

Mystery solved. We can move on now.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  19. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

I agree with you.

20. BlazerCaravan

I'll be honest, I've felt that Robin has been our Buck, and our invisible MVP, because he has made the pick and roll a real threat, hits his free throws, and let's LA feast on power forwards instead of getting pounded by centers. Everything falls apart without Rolo IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.