OT "I'm Dealing With A Few Transgender Issues"

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by ABM, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'd imagine

Support groups

Guides for parents

Literature for youths so they can see they aren't alone.

Links and numbers for foundations that are setup to help the the LBGTQ community.

Lifelines

Funding

Rights

Etc.

ABM likes this.
  2. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

I don't think thats it.

Fairly-Hard and julius like this.
  3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    You spelled oblivious wrong.

4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Speaking for myself, I'll say that there's a Bible verse that says "As far it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." It's right in the middle of a big section that also says to bless those who curse you, live in harmony with others, not be proud or conceited, love your enemies, etc.

I know that my worldview is at odds with that of most in here. I also know that nothing oppositional I post in here is going to argue anyone into holiness. Thus, with nothing but enmity to be gained by debating, I choose peace.

5. julius

singer songwriter
    Never hearing about something or knowing nothing about subject has never stopped you from having an opinion, why start now?

6. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Thanks for sharing that. I do understand. This is a message board, after all. By the same token, as believers, we're called to stand up for righteousness, while carrying our cross.

As kind of an aside, here's a verse that's always made me scratch my head a bit:

People ask, what would Jesus do? Well?

"Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other!" ~Luke 12;51 NLT

7. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

We've been through this verse. Context.

8. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

That is the right outlook to take.

When I have attended church, too often, people come up and think they are helping by jumping to talk to you and guilt you into staying. Many times some of these types start judgment immediately. And in many cases those people have done things far worse in their lives than the person they are talking to. Have a beer? What a sin! (Even though they used to be an alcoholic and you only partake in the occasional beer).

I feel like "born-again christians" fall into that category the most, but that is completely anecdotal.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  9. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

No one wants a lush cat.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  10. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Understood. While Jesus is LOVE, He's also all about righteousness. He tells us (believers) we're in the world, but not of the world, along with clear directives. He also said that, for those who don't believe in Him, all these things are pure foolishness and can't be understood.

30 And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.

32 “Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.

34 “Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.

35 ‘I have come to set a man against his father,
    a daughter against her mother,
    and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
    36 Your enemies will be right in your own household!’

37 “If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. 38 If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine. 39 If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it. ~ Matthew 10:30-39

11. SlyPokerDog

12. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    I understand.

Many of you know, my father (may he R.I.P.) was an associate pastor for 34 years in a mostly Black church in N. Portland. Right off Vancouver Ave. One of the families (I knew them well) had a son who was gay and he died of AIDS. Now, this was a time where there was a TREMENDOUS stigma attached to AIDS. Many, including those in the church, shunned those who had been infected. Kind of like the story of the good Samaritan. (Luke 10:25-37). Anyway, the family asked clergyperson after clergyperson if they would perform the funeral. Not one of them agreed. They then asked my father. A BIG ask in those days as he was white. He agreed without hesitation. None of the circumstances crossed his mind in any way. It's the type of man/father he was. Now, that said, when my sister came out and told the family she was gay, he struggled with that, and struggled with that a LOT. At first, he didn't want my sister to bring her girlfriend over to the house. He did relinquish, though.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  13. Chris Craig

Ah, the instructions to the twelve...

Dark right? Not really.

No need to go Quentin Tarantino with it.

Sure, there is righteousness in fully believing and accepting in the chill dude with sandals. That's all good. Cool. I'm down with that. But righteousness is more than that. It's treating everyone with love and understanding unconditionally, oppressing no one, giving your bread to the hungry, to be moral.

Again, his sword is not a weapon. It's not an edict for sowing division. This isn't his super villain moment. He is saying alot of people probably won't agree with Christianity. That will divide you in a manner of speaking. He's not saying he's here to break up families or that believers should be at war with those who disagree such as family members or even friends. He is saying it may be that they are so against your belief they cast you as an enemy. It's not saying be their enemy or cat them as enemies. Shit, love them still. Love them more.

14. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Cats aren’t your friend. I have issues with that.

15. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Sure, there are plenty of parables, allegories, and the like. We're still called to be righteous. It's a high calling God doesn't want lukewarm believers, he spews them out of His mouth.

But, yes. The greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13)

16. SlyPokerDog

17. Chris Craig

I'm not disagreeing. Just saying righteousness is more than what was being spelled out in your post.

Yep.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  18. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I am an atheist. We have one chance. No future life, no reward and punishment in afterlife. So each of us has responsibility to make world a little better for people, other living beings, the planet.
    I am also a humanist. The two are sometimes confused. Not all atheists are humanists and not all humanists are atheists. As a humanist I accept human equality. I accept everyone has the right to make their own life choices as long as they don't harm others. Who to love, whether and when to have children. What to read.

19. julius

singer songwriter
    hey, if it worked back then, why not do it again!?

20. julius

singer songwriter
    This is how I am too. If two consenting adults want to bang, it's no skin off my nose. If a person born male wants to become a woman or thinks/feels they were born in the wrong body/etc, it makes me no nevermind.

Freedom of religion means you can say "that's against my religion, I don't want to do that", it doesn't mean "that's against my religion, YOU can't do that".