I'm So SICK & TIRED of Neil Olshey

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 22, 2018.

1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Lately, most teams we play in the Playoffs seems to be a 'bad match-up'. Memphis, SA, Golden St, New Orleans....too bad we can't play all the crap teams in the Playoffs. We'd do much better.

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I don’t know who lanny is man. I was reading your post. Why so defensive though?

3. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Can we PLEASE stop with all these broad generalizations. I know what you are saying is true about certain posters but you make it seem like everyone who touts the 3rd seed is now making excuses for losing.

Some people are able to recognize that the 3rd seed was a good accomplishment in the West, give props to the Pelicans for kicking our ass, all while being frustrated and pissed off that this team completely disappeared in the playoffs with that 3rd seed.

4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Exactly. Before the all star game, we were horrible.

It's funny though if we don't change anything, because really it'll be based off only 9 more games than the "4 in the playoffs"

BonesJones likes this.
  5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Do you call your rants on here being emotional? You come at people left and right and post with a very angry style. Like always pissed about something. Why put yourself through this?

Scalma and CupWizier like this.
  6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Scalma likes this.
  7. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

I’m pissed at Neil Olshey for being a weasel, sleaze bag, used car salesman who is condescending to fans...

8. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Here we have six maybe seven of the most vocal Olshey haters making an entire thread hating the guy and thinking they are the only people that know what is going on. Those very same vocal Olshey haters seem to hate Stotts also. That isn't actually what most people are saying. Most people are unhappy with the way the playoffs went but they also know there is a process and it is in fact in motion. There were huge improvements this year on a number of things that needed improvement.
    There are a number of things that need to be worked on for next year. If they in fact keep Stotts i am sure he is already working on way to improve this roster even more for next year. If they don't keep Stotts i am sure they will still need to work on those issues. Time will tell what happens. Not really interested in rehashing the same things over and over again.

9. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I personally have nothing against Stotts, he’s a decent coach who has flaws but Olshey is a problem. I’m not dumb in knowing if a GM goes, the next GM will want to bring in the coach of his choice. If it were possible I’d have no problem if we got a new GM, kept Stotts and gave him an improved roster. I just don’t trust Olshey running this team anymore.

H.C. likes this.
  10. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Here's the problem I have with this statement.

I've stated many different issues I have with Stotts, a lot of issues that got worse. Thing is, he should've realized these issues mid-season and made changes, however he didn't, so how can anyone trust him to fix these next season? Most of them were issues before this season that weren't changed last off-season. Instead, it got worse.

The people advocating the status quo don't really address the actual problems though. It's a lot of "But he had 49 wins" or "But we have a terrible roster" or other defenses that aren't relevant to the discussion about the type of basketball we play. The biggest thing that irks me is the people that act as if those who don't want the status quo are being over-reactionary or 0ver-emotional, and that's why we want changes.

For me, that's not the case. My issues with Olshey aren't related to Stotts. I think I'm the only one who knows what's going on? In regards to what? I've been talking about our style of play and how the coaching is poor, but not once has a Stotts-defender actually engaged on a discussion based on the style of basketball we play. That doesn't mean I think I'm the only one who knows what's going on, I'm just trying to analyze this in depth while some people are implying that wanting to get rid of Stotts is an emotional viewpoint while they won't analyze it in depth with me. Do you see the irony in that?

But the statement that really gets me is "Most people ... also know there is a process that is in fact in motion." What is this process, in regards to style of play? Our style of play has gotten worse and worse over the past couple years. Most dribbles per touch, bigger gap in assists between us and the 29th place team than 29th and 15th.. the fewest fast break points in the league.. And all these things got worse this year. We got better in the win column because you can get away with this type of play during the regular season, we got better individually, and because we had some luck facing teams with injuries. But in terms of playoffs, we got worse, because it's getting easier and easier to defend our style of play the more we go away from team-oriented basketball.

tester551, TBpup and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  11. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I'd be completely fine with NO going.
    But I don't think NO is responsible for the lone gm duties. Even though he has the official title.
    Allen is a hands on owner for the Blazers.

calvin natt and BonesJones like this.
  12. kjironman1

Stotts made huge strides this year and major improvements with the way this team played. I understand you don't like to see those improvements because you are all in with everything you have said. You can't possibly start giving him credit for the improvements now. The team didn't get worse it got better. They started slow and got better as things started working and his adjustments throughout the season starting working. He held some players accountable and he even changed back when those players decided to get their head straight. 49 wins is a symptom. Not a reason or act. They won more games because they got better. Not the other way around. Last season you and the others that have your belief all complained about Stotts for not being a defensive coach. Guess what? the defense got better this year. Not just better but way better. And it stayed better all season. That is how you trust him to fix the issues this team has. You realize he has fixed something this team had problems with every year he has been here. In his first two years it was a totally different team and there were totally different problems. Before it was getting more looks for Lillard and less for LMA. Then it was getting CJ into the game. Then it was lack of bench scoring. Then it was defense. Next year it will be ball movement and motion with quality passing and getting better open looks for more players while still using the PnR well.
    Like i said it's about six posters on this entire site that are all saying the same things over and over again.

Wizard Mentor and Lanny like this.
  13. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

What improvements did we see? I saw an inconstent team that rode on the back of Dame for several games and then lost 5 of 6 to end the regular season. And 9 of 10 to end the season.

49 wins is good at it's face, but when you really look at it, there's far too many variables that played to our favor to really make it happen. Like I've said, they won in spite of Terry, not because of him.

14. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Hold the fuck up. You really think I don't like to see improvements with the team that I'm a diehard fan of? If Stotts improved everything I had a problem with I'd be happier than anything. I can't give him credit for improvements? That's because the improvements weren't because of him. Your post already reeks of BS, I wonder what the rest will read like.
    He held players accountable? C.J. didn't get benched once. Aminu kept doing his "I think I'm a PG!" act throughout the season resulting in disaster, Nurk kept shooting long two-pointers... Who the hell did he hold accountable? Harkless played horrible at the start of the year. Are you saying that, because he benched who was our worst rotation player at the time, he held players accountable? What a stretch.

I already said the team go better, so why are you pointing it out? Here's what you were quoting:
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves: When people are more focused on what they're saying themselves than what they're quoting. I told you why they got better and how it wasn't because of Stotts and you're argument is essentially: "The team got better". Wow!
    Yes, which is what I stated: They got better based off wins because of internal development, because we had luck facing teams with injuries, and because you can get away with our style of ball during the regular season.
    You seriously think Stotts is the reason we got better defensively? I'll give you the reasons:
    1.) We had a full year of Nurk, who is probably a top 5 rim protector in the league. We were very solid with him last year. That improvement is because of Nurk.
    2.) Dame got noticeably better, and C.J. got slightly better defensively. Like I said, we got better because of internal development.
    3.) We got rid of Crabbe and replaced him with Pat and Shabazz, both of whom are better defenders. Crabbe was horrible on that end.
    None of those are because of Stotts. Stotts didn't change ANYTHING defensively, and it was obvious he wasn't coaching anything different. You're taking the results, and attributing them to the coach automatically instead of searching for the actual context. The reality is, we still only run one basic scheme when we should have a base scheme as well as others we can adjust to based on the situation.

Defense can improve with better personell.. Style of play can't. Ball movement falls under style of play. Stotts hasn't improved our style of play.
    Getting Lillard More Looks: Doesn't really apply to the argument at hand, and he didn't really do that.
    Getting CJ into the game: That's a rotation issue, not style of play or philosophical issue.
    Lack of Bench Scoring: That's a personnel issue, not style of play
    Poor Defense: Again, a personnel issue, while also being a style of play/philosophy issue. The personnel improved, the style of play did not.
    Lack of Ball Movement: A style of play, philosophical and schematic issue.

Stotts hasn't improved our style of play in the 6 years we've had him. Everything has regressed. Other things have regressed, but that's attributed to personnel, or other fixes unrelated to the style of basketball that we play. And those supporting the status quo like you are? The argument is that all of a sudden Stotts is going to have some magical epiphany and improve our style of play. Not ruling it out, but that's not likely. Ball movement and passing should be the core of any offensive philosophy, and Stotts has shown it's not. "The first good shot is the best shot" is a horrible philosophy. Normally, veteran coaches don't change philosophies. Dwayne Casey is the exception, not the example. Because I don't believe Stotts will change, he should be fired.

Do you really think I'm arguing this emotionally and this is all an overreaction? You really think everyone else that wants Stotts gone has broken it down like me and we're all saying the same "nonsense"? Cmon now.

TBpup, UKRAINEFAN and tester551 like this.
  15. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Hey Neil....How could we have a good 82 when we lost 33?

16. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Hey Neil: How come eight straight playoff game losses was not mentioned?

Chris Craig likes this.
  17. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    That was in response to you saying that if you had my tickets you wouldn't renew as if you had that type of money in the first place.

18. kjironman1

Your response does indeed indicate that.

19. kjironman1

The improvements are listed in the post you responded to. Defense, Rotations, Player development, Accountability. If all you watched was a period where they were dealing with injuries to three starters and one rotational player then you didn't watch the season.

20. kjironman1

Actually it was 10 but then 6 straight were to the warriors. After winning a couple.