insider Warrior draft pick

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Duckmyster, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I don't know what the story on Chris Wilcox is. He's had some games where nobody could keep him off the glass, but he's sort of been in Mike Dunleavy Sr.'s doghouse. Must be a low bball IQ thing.

What's up with the "plz fire Monty"? It's only his first year for chrissakes. We keep firing coaches we're going to be disappointing as the Cavs, Timberwolves, or any other team that could have made the playoffs despite losing streaks had they not fired their coach. Unless we're getting a championship coach like Phil Jackson, Rudy T, or Larry Brown, no dice.

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Just my opinion. 1 Tech the whole year is pathetic thats why we get bad calls for entire games. If Monty went crazy on someone they would give us some calls instead of continuing to give us absurd touch fouls. No other coach would put up with most of the touch calls on, lets say Biedrins without at least one ejection.

Also his rotations make no sense. We let Mobley post Fish up like 6 times in a row, most of wich were made FGs. We also let Tony Parker scorch Fish in the double OT game. Monty put Peitrus on Parker once and then took him out. He also takes Peitrus out when he is on fire alot. I dont want to attack Fish (he is a good defender IMO) but anyone would have changed something simple like this but not Monty, he doesn't seem to have the balls to take out a veteran player.

He has no intensity or desire and was stubborn to give up with his offense that he used at Stanford. I think another half season would be alright because he does deserve that chance but i dont see us making a major playoff push with him.

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with Custodian, there really is no reason to fire a coach after only 1 year. Next year we will make the playoffs and people will give Monty more credit even if it all was because of Davis. I do have to admit that Fisher plays too many minutes and we need to get Pietrus some more minutes. Just like Chaney, he played way too many minutes when Pietrus could be in there developing. I think for the success of this team we really need to throw our young guys to the fire and let them develop and learn how to play. If they dont play well, replace them with guys like Foyle and Fisher...

4. Run BJM

I guess i should change it. I dont think he should be fired now because that would turn off other potential coaches and he does deserve another chance but I think we will do well enough to warrant MM staying (due mostly to Baron) yet he will still make bad decisions which would and have cost us some games. I like our players but Monty seems to not acknowledge whats going on in the game or ignore the fact that someone is hot or not.

5. Run BJM

Sig changed for a more positive attitude. These goals are way below average too.

6. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

Depending on who we draft, we have to get certain issues addressed.

My preferred scenario:

1. Draft Taft/Splitter: Someone who provides low post offense and can keep the ball off of the perimeter. Get a scale rookie contract for a couple of years who can add some depth to the frontcourt.

-Then try to get the SF issue settled. See how much Dunleavy wants and if his price is decent sign him to an extension. If both sides can't settle on an extension, deal him now. We need either a sharpshooter or a very good defender @ the SF. Trade Dun for a SF who fits the criteria. Pietrus backs up the 2 & 3.

Other likely scenario:

2. Draft BPA if Taft & Splitter are off the board. Felton, Green, Aleksandrov

-Again try to see what Dunleavy's demands are. If he's decent sign him, if not deal him. I'd try to get Nene. Even though Denver likes him, the right deal could bring him here. The coaching staff is on K-Mart & Camby's jock and there isn't enough playing time for Nene's sake. I'd even think about dealing Pietrus for Nene.

7. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">What about Francisco Elson? More than the MLE because he's a big man?</div>

We could probably have Elson on the cheap depending on if he wants to play more minutes. He'd probably be worth 3 million a year at most.

For Wilcox, he's probably going to get an extension from the Clippers. They always need big bodies. He's still young (23) so he's still in the range where teams should be patient with him.

8. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

F Elson is a guy with athletic ability,inconsistant skills,I doubt he would cost much,basically he'd be behind Foyle and Andy,but over time may progress and get a significant role.
    One comment questioned Bogut as a rebounder??? He was around the NCAA lead,about 11.5 a game. He does not have Garnett speed but is quite mobile and agile. He in no way is a risk to become Fuller. A note on that-Fuller was a decent player who the W's totally wasted. He was a good rebounder,not very quick,but way better potential than the ultimate stiff,Felton Spencer. However,they refused to let him get any minutes,and his skills went downhill. Cliff Rozier had been a similar case. The W's chose to stick with veteran mediocrity rather than get creative and develop guys they spent high picks on. Real pathetic.
    Marvin Williams looks like a power guy,has nice speed,hops and is soft as mash potatoes when inside vs anyone above 6-6. He plays real D about 50% of the time. Action in the paint can be fast and confusing and some guys can't make the split second adjustments. When NC played Duke Marvin tried to take it to the hole vs Sheldon W. Sheldon stuffed him 4 times---Marvin failed to apply a creative juke or fake,just gave a top shotblocker an easy swatdown. I thought Marvin showed improved D,rebound effort in the NCAA relative to a sorry show in the ACC tourney,but in the NCAA,his perimeter stuff didn't fall,and once you get to sweet sixteen,teams don't give you easy points inside. Marvin can become a player-so can Rodney White,but it requires a turnaround. G Green has more pro-ready skills,more game IQ,uses his tools better already.
    C Taft has problems similar to Marvin,looks like the classic physical package-doesn't get the results. The fact that SF/SG Danny Granger has much better RBD+shotblock stats ought to be a clue. Taft won't be a regular NBA Center 5 years from now.
    NBA Draft.net favors a number of young,raw imports,while some very effective college players are demoted to round 2. In recent years,young imports have been a mixed bag,some are good,some suck. Those who,a year ago,showed much,got drafted. What remains are guys who a year ago were too raw-and/or young. The "reviews and profiles" are pretty ambiguous,and who is making these reports? When you hunt down stats,if you can find them,you have to get a bit skeptical. Some guys are supposed to be SO skilled-yet are not even close to 10pt a game. Some are alleged shotblockers-yet the stats say otherwise. Odds are that one or two will become a good player,some will be decent backups,some will suck--and there is not much evidence there to sort em out. I much prefer to put my money on guys I could see play against a known level of competition.
    I don't see a pure C except Bogut who is anywhere near ready. Channing Frye,while more of a PF,by most standards,can be a good C if you expect to run-and the W's expect to run. There are a number of forwards I saw who can be a real boost,who,in some cases are fairly versatile,could play either F or F/G,who play D,score,rebound,etc.,so if we skip such guys to chase an underachiever who takes up roster space-or a teen who doesn't develop until after his 3 year rookie deal-I'd be bummed out.
    Trading the pick for a veteran -unless he's special,would be a cap problem. Rookie contract guys are cheap labor for 3-4 years. A journeyman veteran can cost more than a good 1-4year guy,and that could hurt if Pietrus and Z keep improving and their deals end

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Just my opinion. 1 Tech the whole year is pathetic thats why we get bad calls for entire games. If Monty went crazy on someone they would give us some calls instead of continuing to give us absurd touch fouls. No other coach would put up with most of the touch calls on, lets say Biedrins without at least one ejection.
    </div>
    I see. Well, Monty is pretty much going to be the guy to set an example for not getting carried away and letting too much passion affect his judgement. Getting T'ed looks great in the fans eyes, but if the W's ever lost by a single point, he'd only have himself to blame. Even when Dunleavy made a point to stand up for himself in the Dallas game, there were repercussions to the team. When the W's are a winning team, they'll get the benefit of the doubt calls, but since they weren't they don't and that's just the way it is whether it's argued or not. That's why NBA refs are so detrimental to the game. If they aren't fast enough or observant enough to catch what's going on, they should video review even if it takes longer, at least they won't cost a team a game after all that effort it takes to compete.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Also his rotations make no sense. We let Mobley post Fish up like 6 times in a row, most of wich were made FGs. We also let Tony Parker scorch Fish in the double OT game. Monty put Peitrus on Parker once and then took him out. He also takes Peitrus out when he is on fire alot. I dont want to attack Fish (he is a good defender IMO) but anyone would have changed something simple like this but not Monty, he doesn't seem to have the balls to take out a veteran player.
    </div>
    I'm not sure why the coaches let Mobley post up Fisher on several occasions. Maybe Mobley was running point and Baron needed rest? I mean Baron's whole job is to condition himself, not overwork himself into more injuries (check box scores he played 42 minutes). As bad as it is when guys like Steve Nash are on the bench, the coach needs to rest them at some point. That's why I'm not really sold on Fisher being here until 2010 because he plays too much like a shooting guard and can't defend other stronger, quicker combo guards. Pietrus stood a better chance at guarding Tony Parker, but in the past games, he's never been able to guard him straight up. He can usually shut down the bulkier, 6'2-6'3 Steve Francises, Gilbert Arenas and Stephon Marbury's, though. You have to give respect in that Tony Parker is like Speedy Claxton (better finisher), Sebastian Telfair (stronger), A.I. or a healthy TJ Ford, nobody can really contain them because they are that quick. Especially, if they're getting the right help from their teammates by setting picks or moving on offense. Team ball is what San Antonio is all about and if you notice the Warriors team D, it's not great and we don't really move on offense either.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    He has no intensity or desire and was stubborn to give up with his offense that he used at Stanford. I think another half season would be alright because he does deserve that chance but i dont see us making a major playoff push with him.</div>
    Being an NBA coach is different from the power you get as being a college coach obviously, and he's been very humble, patient, receptive, pragmatic and blue collar about the way he does things. He does tend to experiment with his matchups a little too much, but I think his demeanor gets confused with lack of passion much like other players who don't behave the way fans want them to. The bottom line is that Baron thinks Monty is a good coach for him right now compared to what Byron Scott. I think we should keep a good thing if the franchise player is happy and will listen to the coach.

I don't pretend to understand Monty, but I respect his knowledge and what he was trying to do earlier in the season, he just doesn't have that type of team. I consider him a Mike D'antoni at this point. He'll let the point guard and the players run the show and help organize them and inspire them to play hard without pissing anybody off.

I'm also trying to figure out why Pietrus doesn't get more minutes, it's probably a combination of things:
    1.) Monty doesn't know what he's going to do on offense when running basic set plays called for others. In this case when Fisher is backup point, he has him run set plays so others can move off the ball, know where to be and create the offense for Dfish. If they don't move or they get confused, Fisher recognizes this and starts launching because that's what he does.
    2.) Pietrus style of play endangers his separated shoulder, which is still in the process of healing. He's had to wear that shoulder sling for every single game he played. Monty always reduces the minutes of players that have serious injuries unless it's out of his hands (i.e. Baron Davis who is the team leader and is the exception to the rule).
    3.) Fisher arguably has better decision making than Pietrus (shot selection decision making they're about the same, but Pietrus has more ability to get to the rim to make up for streaky shooting). Generally Fisher will average more assists and is pretty useful in pick and roll or the automatic basket for the wide open catch and shoot. Pietrus' job is primarily to do what Ricky Davis does for Boston, but he has it tougher since he's playing against small forwards that can really mess him up and he's a fearless, draw contact type of player.

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">Depending on who we draft, we have to get certain issues addressed.

My preferred scenario:

1. Draft Taft/Splitter: Someone who provides low post offense and can keep the ball off of the perimeter. Get a scale rookie contract for a couple of years who can add some depth to the frontcourt.

-Then try to get the SF issue settled. See how much Dunleavy wants and if his price is decent sign him to an extension. If both sides can't settle on an extension, deal him now. We need either a sharpshooter or a very good defender @ the SF. Trade Dun for a SF who fits the criteria. Pietrus backs up the 2 & 3.

Other likely scenario:

2. Draft BPA if Taft & Splitter are off the board. Felton, Green, Aleksandrov

-Again try to see what Dunleavy's demands are. If he's decent sign him, if not deal him. I'd try to get Nene. Even though Denver likes him, the right deal could bring him here. The coaching staff is on K-Mart & Camby's jock and there isn't enough playing time for Nene's sake. I'd even think about dealing Pietrus for Nene.</div>
    I like, but I doubt Felton or Green will be on the board by the time we're up. The reason is because Utah, Portland, Milwaukee, Toronto, New York could have need for one or the other as a future starter. In fact if the draft positions stay the same, I bet Toronto is going for Felton. Portland/Milwaukee/New York is probably going for Green. Milwaukee it would be an ideal safety measure in case Redd doesn't re-sign and he could be available at #6 if Utah takes a point guard and Portland doesn't. I could see Portland drafting that Lithuanian guy as the next Sabonis, even though they need a shooting guard.

11. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Zhone:</div><div class="quote_post">We could probably have Elson on the cheap depending on if he wants to play more minutes. He'd probably be worth 3 million a year at most.

For Wilcox, he's probably going to get an extension from the Clippers. They always need big bodies. He's still young (23) so he's still in the range where teams should be patient with him.</div>
    Now that I think about it, that's probably Elson's incentive (more minutes). Probably won't be there if small ball is played and you need those shooters like Murphy or Zarko or Biedrins who can play center. Wilcox isn't a bruiser down low yet so we could just get Chris Taft who has more skills and similar body, if he's still on the board. If we didn't have Baron, I'd say avoid Taft completely.

12. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">F Elson is a guy with athletic ability,inconsistant skills,I doubt he would cost much,basically he'd be behind Foyle and Andy,but over time may progress and get a significant role.
    </div> I figured he'd be a stop gap, so Biedrins can get his feet wet at power forward, but Elson probably wants more incentive in terms of minutes. He already struggles with Camby, Nene, Kmart rotations in Denver. So I guess nevermind.

Bogut will be solid based on his numbers, fundamentals, coordination, size and average athleticism, but I think some are going to be mistaken that he'll be Tim Duncan right away. He could be, but big men usually take longer to adjust to the nba game where other players are equally as strong as them or stronger and have the experience to shut down players like him. Also we don't know if Bogut will have a killer instinct in the NBA.

I think Bogut is faster than he appears, I mean look at Carlos Boozer and the initial scouting reports on him. He's a beast and can dunk on anybody.

13. Run BJM

I doubt that Felton or Green will be around. I think the possible BPAs are:
    Splitter
    Taft (though he looks like a bust)
    Jack

14. Custodianrules2

I like Splitter's energy and Jack sounds solid, but nothing to hoot over in terms of explosiveness.

Taft may or may not be a bust, but with that much potential, he'd probably do well on a winning team that has an allstar playmaking point guard to deliver the ball to him. I'd probably grab Ike Diogu over Taft, though, because of the belief that skills + heart + strength + shooting range will make up for his lack of explosiveness.

15. upsidedownside7

It seems that Bogut gets little respect among all the b-ball boards. Dude's a legit center who is 20 and has serious skills. He's only a year or so older than Biedrins. He doesn't have to be a freak athletically. As long as he gains more strength & experience the kid will be a baller and be able to grab boards and change shots. I'm real high on that kid. He single handedly dominated the college game and his numbers don't show that. He constantly was triple teamed and still put up good numbers.

I like Marvin but hands down I take Bogut over Williams and Paul.

16. Custodianrules2

I love Bogut, but when the W's and other teams have no way of getting him anyway, not giving him love just softens the blow. [​IMG]

17. Run BJM

Lol yeah, we could offer Baron and our number 1 to atanta for their 1st rounder and a scrub and they still wouldnt bite. But back to Taft, he has great potential but doesn't seem to have the drive. I wouldnt mind drafting him but other players in the draft may have less upside but are more of a sure thing, which is more important IMO for a team trying to make the playoffs. I'd also like Murphy to be our PF of the future and Biedrins our C of the future so that is why I like Diogu because he would likely be a bench guy at 6'8. Still, BPA is the way to go so if that is Diogu or Taft or some no name then draft him.

18. upsidedownside7

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I love Bogut, but when the W's and other teams have no way of getting him anyway, not giving him love just softens the blow. [​IMG]</div>

At least you admit that. Some people are convinced Beans is a better prospect than Bogut.

19. upsidedownside7

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Lol yeah, we could offer Baron and our number 1 to atanta for their 1st rounder and a scrub and they still wouldnt bite. </div>

Even though Bogut is the consensus #1, Atlanta is in love with Chris Paul. Atlanta is to make a run at a free agent center like Swift, Curry etc. I wouldn't go that route but that's what I've heard. Who knows, could be a smokescreen.

As far as where Taft will go, we'll find out come workouts. I've seen both sides of him but if he shows "the beast" he'll stay in the lottery. I like the fact the kid is cocky as hell. He got up to play Notre Dame and that showcase was legit. Torin Francis didn't even want the ball when Taft was on him.

The difference between a player who gets the ball and doesn't.
    Channing Frye:
    2/24 @Wash St W 57-56 43 11-13
    2/26 @Washington L 93-85 38 13-15
    3/5 @Arizona St W 70-68 35 3-11
    3/10 California W 88-63 25 10-11

Chris Taft:
    2/20 @Villanova L 80-72 24 5-9
    2/23 W Virginia L 70-66 23 5-12
    2/26 UConn L 73-64 25 3-4
    2/28 @BC W 72-50 28 6-10

Chris Taft got 4 shots? The big man on campus got 4 shots? Troutman their other big man got the ball more than Taft but he's already trying out for the NFL and hopes to sign with the Redskins. He knows he won't even get drafted. The fact that Taft has been passive isn't good but if he tears up workouts and surround him with a real point, you gotta draft him. Taft never got a chance to carry Pitt. on his back.

20. Run BJM

Sounds good. I have heard that he is not lazy his teammates just dont give him the ball I would like to draft him but would he be effective immediately? Also if he is "cocky as hell" would he demand the starting job by next season? I could see Mullin wanting this kid becase he is a beast but also not wanting him because Mullin likes nice and respectful players.

EDIT: also didnt Taft go to the same high school as Mullin? maybe that would effect his position.