insider Warrior draft pick

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Duckmyster, Apr 26, 2005.

1. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

If I put the mocks on the main sites,side by side,there are guys who vary a lot,and there are several who I see everyone placing too high or low. What evidence exists that Vasquez is a legit top 10? Where is Dwayne Jones? He is 6-11 averaged 11 boards and nobody is going to see that as useful? Brandon Bass and Salim Stoudamire are mid rd 2 on one site-yet may well emerge as very good pros.
    A couple of months ago these sites hype Martynas Andri-whatever as the next tall thing---now,faced with reality,he's not even listed..as in stay home kid or be a rd 2 pick. So basically its just folks trying to mix togather what they saw or heard. I go by similar criteria and when I saw Diogu,I saw top 10...easily. Looking at his numbers only affirmed the visual impressions. I also liked what I saw of Granger,Warrick,though I probably didn't see Granger's best game,and perhaps did see Warrick's best.

It will be interesting to see what teams feel about Petro. There has been a vast credibility gap between what there is of his stats and the claims that make him sound like a big talent. Perhaps there is something there,that a team will see give more access than us,perhaps not.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I've got no clue why Fran Vasquez is rated so high. He does make a lot of highlight plays, so maybe the real value is in his ability to sell tickets based off his unreal finishes at the rim. He could also be a marketable sports figure, having both athleticism, toughness and an offensive/defensive game, despite it being raw. I'd rather have Petro who has similar qualities, good potential, and has more technical skills right now.

Dwayne Jones isn't even on the draft board. What happened to him? Last I remembered he drew comparrisons to Daniel Santiago or some player like Dan Gadzuric. I couldn't figure out how that was justified for such comparrisons as I haven't seen him play much to see such comparrisons...

3. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

I had only seen a bit of D Jones but him having RBD numbers and Shotblock numbers that only Sheldon williams came near got my attention. As we all seemed to feel the W's need more BIG inside,I like a 6-11 with an established foundation. Historically guys with real big RBD stats in college prove to be real top pro rebounders,while guys with the "NBA Body" who underachieve as rebounders very often are not good pro rebounders. Shotblocking is also something where you see clues early,and a lot of tall guys never get that knack. Jason Maxiel as an example,is a real tough shotblocker at 6-7. 6-8 Bo Outlaw was a great shotblocker in college and much of his pro career.

Vasquez only gets marketable if good enough to start and star. Vasquez,several years older than Splitter or the US HS guys SHOULD have the polish of a college senior by now,and the numbers raise doubts. Splitter's numbers are also pretty uninspiring,but his age is a plus,giving at least an excuse why he isn't a 15/10 guy overseas. Did anyone see Blatche in the Jordan Classic? There are some reasons to like him,but I hate to rate a guy real high if I never saw him play.

As to Jones being like Gadzuric,Jones RBD numbers about doubled the best Gadzuric had at UCLA. What little I saw,K Cato,PJ Brown, are closer,but being near the top of the NCAA in blocks,boards has me hoping for a bargain Ben Wallace.