OT Iran

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by EL PRESIDENTE, Sep 22, 2022.

1. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Blatantly untrue and revisionist history. Carter helped oust the Shah and bring in Khomeini when the Shah wanted a better deal for the country's oil.

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Her foreign diplomacy and predictions about Putin were spot on...I'm not a Hillary fan but her foreign policy is not what gave us Trump...her lame campaign gave us Trump and her sleazy campaign against Bernie.

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The Shah was always Americas Iranian puppet...the last thing Carter wanted was to bring in Khomeini....Ross Perot actually hired his own team to extract his employees from Iran....they just got the money back we froze with the Obama deal from that whole fiasco. The Shah was exactly like Marcos from the Philippines who fled to the states with the countries treasury and bought condos in New York and mansions in Hawaii.

4. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
    Same with many others, until they're not. They threw him under the bus when he wanted to renegotiate. Officials in the Carter administration admitted their role in the coup to overthrow the Shah years later.

5. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think foreign policy has been much of a world problem. Us not doing what we should and showing the correct path (including tarrifs on damaging products and services) has been a huge part of the problem.

That would be the best foreign policy.

Voodoo likes this.
  6. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Yeah I was like, wait what? The Shah was the guy America had put up in Iran, and he was the one who was deposed of during the Iranian revolution with the whole Iranian hostage scandal at the end of the Carter administration.

riverman likes this.
  7. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    I have actually never heard this before, can you elaborate or share some more information on this? I am going to do some internet sleuthing now.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  8. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This does not support your previous post...for one thing Iran under Khomeini had American hostages that we had to extract ..that's not encouraging good relations with America by any stretch. We froze their payment for arms that we never delivered as well, which was the money Obama did his deal with them around. I'm sure Khomeini tried to earn the diplomatic status and respect he thought he deserved but we saw him the same way we see Kim Jong Un today...a fundamentalist dictator...it was an interesting article to read though..no doubt clandestine talks were carried out and probably still are today. I'll agree to disagree with your take on it otherwise..Carter was not propping up the Mullah.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Phatguysrule likes this.
  10. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
    Did Carter help Khomeini?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter's_engagement_with_Ruhollah_Khomeini

It's widely known within the Iranian/Persian community. Having grown up in that community, I would know. Khomeini flipped on Carter once he took power, but before that, Carter's administration definitely helped Khomeini gain power. I think there's even a quote of him admitting he messed up as he was initially an ally.

riverman likes this.
  11. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Our drones used by Ukraine are better.

riverman and Phatguysrule like this.
  12. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Thanks read both the bbc article and the wiki link, I find this really fascinating and had no idea. There is a lot more nuance and intrigue than I was aware of here. Makes a lot more sense why the Republicans at the time we’re so critical of Carters handling of Iran. It’s pretty clear that he failed miserably here and it would have been better to continue to support the Shah instead of placating the hardcore Islamic nut jobs and essentially handing over the country to them.

Tough lesson, and also gives a lot more perspective on why America, and Republicans in general have always been so distrustful of the Iranian regime.

13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Im old and cant remember what path that was?
    I liked Jimmy but he a devoted southern religious leader and I think he thought his position as Pres and devout Christian would deliver him form some of the problems he faced.

14. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

He wanted environmentally friendly policies and supported education and rehabilitation. Opposed to death penalty..

Hard for me to argue with many of his positions... Except for funding the church, etc..

Hoopguru likes this.
  15. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
    I think the money they get from the Saudis and Israelis is a bigger reason why the Republicans are so bombastic about going to war with Iran. Are they really worse than the Saudis? As bad as they are, they've never committed an act of terrorism on American soil. The Saudis have. In abundance.

Iran was the first domino to fall in the Middle East. The world would benefit greatly with new leadership there.

riverman and Voodoo like this.
  16. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    I would say I do not think they are worse than the Saudis, no. I just meant more that I have a much more complete understanding of why things are the way they are now after reading those articles, thanks. And yes, I agree, Iran would definitely benefit greatly from new leadership.