Is it time to legalize marijuana?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by DaLincolnJones, Jul 17, 2014.

1. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Yep, you give to the party that you believe will have the most influence. Can't blame those greedy bastards! Hahaha

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

There are very few perfectly written laws. Even ones there were at the time written correctly need to be updated or improved over time. (See DUI laws and lowered blood alcohol limits for an example.) Just because the blood alcohol had to be reduced doesn't mean that the law was wrong and just should be thrown out. The voters in your state approved the legalization of marijuana and it appears that there are some problems. Really? You mean to say that the law was perfect? Damn, I guess that legalization doesn't work.

Yes, I'm sure Colorado and Washington will have new ballot measures in a few years that improves the current legalization laws. That's not a bad thing. Actually that's what our system of government is suppose to do.

4. magnifier661

Very well said...

5. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Recklessly and hurriedly enact legislation doing real harm in the interim? I guess you must love Obamacare, too.

6. magnifier661

We are still searching for this "real harm" you speak of.... As far as obamacare... That is arguably the biggest strawman response in this thread. The problem with obamacare was the advertised "lower rates" wasn't true. It is costing taxpayers and insurance holders more money to be insured.

I haven't seen one article that talks about the economic downside to the legalization of weed. I haven't seen one article showing an increase of crime rate either.

7. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    The idea of allowing a pure majority vote on an issue as important as allowing wide spread use of marijuana by legalizing the drug points at a fault in practicing pure Democracy.
    It gives ever dumb ass the ability to vote for the wrong thing.

Marijuana Addiction – Signs & Symptoms

Stress on the heart
    Reproductive system problems, as marijuana suppresses the production of male sex hormones, shrinks the testes and inhibits sperm production, and can inhibit ovulation in females.
    Difficulty concentrating and short-term memory loss
    A weakened immune system, as THC has been found to impair the body’s natural disease-fighting abilities, increasing the risk of bacterial infections and tumors.

Treatment for marijuana addiction is now reaching a greater percentage of the population than alcohol abuse.

I know as a former employer, it much more difficult to treat the marijuana abuser than the alcohol abuser. Success rates are much higher with alcohol abuse.

It is more difficult to identify the marijuana abuse in the employees, the manager has to be aware of the mostly likely symptom, Difficulty concentrating and memory loss. Where the alcohol abuser usually shows the problem by missing work or late to come in.

If my memory is correct, I think I sent around 14 marijuana users and 11 alcohol abusers to rehab during the years I had a large number of employees. Again if memory is correct, all but one alcohol abuser was recovered successfully compared to the stark contrast of none of the
    marijuana users. They tend to just quite the job before rehab or fail to complete rehab and begin the recovery phase.

Damned if I want to suggest the above symptoms are wise risk for young people to expose themselves. Perhaps if you are independently wealthy and no need of a job, but a no way if you need to bring focus and brain power to your job.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/treatment-statistics

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    So, in other words, marijuana abusers are better employees than alcohol abusers and nearly as competent as normal employees (otherwise it would be easy to spot them).

That actually says good things about marijuana users who don't use it excess.

9. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I would say that is a very shallow take sir. When the work product drops or falls to nothing then you look for the causes. The lack of concentration and memory loss are culprits. By then you can usually smell the shit occasionally

Don't take heart, no testament intended.

10. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I can imagine that abusers of marijuana are bad for business, as abusers of any drug, including alcohol, would be. It's just interesting that marijuana abusers are so much harder to actually see being incompetent than alcohol abusers.

But, like people who drink but don't abuse alcohol, it's likely that people who toke but don't abuse marijuana aren't bad employees at all.

11. magnifier661

I used to get stoned. I would smoke a bowl immediately after work, then right after dinner and finally one before bed. It never effected my production at work or at home.

I will admit I gained some weight and Taco Bell was my favorite place to eat. So there's that negative...

12. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Alcohol can be physically addicting. Marijuana is not physically addicting.

Oregon may be a lot less productive if marijuana is legal (debatable) but I feel confident that Oregon would be a lot less violent if alcohol was illegal. A high percentage of domestic violence is due to alcohol and many public fights are due to alcohol.

Both drugs will cause problems in society, but at some point you have to give adults the freedom of choice.

13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Have you ever try to help people with a problem with either marijana or alcohol? Or are you just talking out your arse?

14. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

MA, I don't think there is a time on this board that I claim to know something to a detailed level when I don't. There are times I throw an opinion out there and when someone challenges it, and I will back off or say that I have no expertise in the area and it is just my opinion . . . I may even stay strong on the opinion but admit it is not an area i know a great deal about.

I know about alcoholism and have helped hundreds of people with alcohol problems.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  15. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Should have included a poll btw. Anyways I'm sure it's going to pass this time. Numbers have been in favor of it, and that poorly written law last year didn't get shot down too bad.

16. magnifier661

17. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

That is a solid idea. It would be nice to see how this forum would vote.

18. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

quite possibly the funniest thing I have seen all year.

[video=youtube;IRBAZJ4lF0U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRBAZJ4lF0U[/video]

DaLincolnJones likes this.
  19. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

lol "you need more"

tears in the eyes funny..great find and repped

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014