Is it time to legalize marijuana?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by DaLincolnJones, Jul 17, 2014.

1. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Like I would give any credence to what these guys say. They made a living hurting innocent people for years and years.

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Did you read what their concerns are? They bring up some good points.

3. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

I did, I don't think anything they said is really a big deal. Especially the tax revenue part, since I literally could not care less about that. The things like dosing and packaging are little things that will get worked out. I'm basically just against heavy regulation.

4. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

what I took away was he wanted more state control, less freedom for the growers, less freedom for those that chose to use...fuck the state, fuck the feds..greedy fucks. these are the same guys that want to introduce a bill that allows states to place tolls on existing interstate highways to raise the revenue to repair them..hmm what was that gas tax supposed to do?

5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I'm all for taxing the shit out of it. I generally support sin taxes. Money going to law enforcement and schools is a good thing.

Gas tax needs to be a percentage per gallon, not set cents per gallon. The gas tax has not gone up with inflation and the rise in price per gallon of gas.

6. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

why not just pay for it with pension "smoothing" :)

7. DaLincolnJones

Monies generated in Colorado from pot tax

Those pot tax dollars are rolling in, and they don't show signs of letting up anytime soon.

The Colorado Department of Revenue in June collected slightly more in tax revenue than the month before, according to its recent sales report.

The state collected $4,775,679 from marijuana-related sales tax in June 2014, up from $4,511,668 collected in May 2014.

To date, Colorado has collected $25,307,067 in pot taxes. Officials projected the state would collect $60 to $70 million by the end of the fiscal year (June 2015).

8. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I don't see this as being a huge problem. There has to be some regulation to stop people driving under the influence on mj.

For alcohol the law is either you are impaired by the alcohol OR your blood alcohol level is above .08. Many alcoholics or people with high alcohol tolerance who are not feeling the effects of alcohol can have their BAC is above a .08.

I suspect it will be something similar with mj. Either you are effected by the mj or you smoked within the X amount of minutes before driving. There are tests these days that can determine how recently one has smoked.

I know that doesn't seem fair to the chronic user who isn't effected say 1 hour after smoking, but consistent and strict guidelines have to be set (like alcohol, .08 is a low level) to curb people smoking and driving.

9. The_Lillard_King

Interesting take. Both have put many murders and rapist away for life and have fought hard to abolish the possibility of parole for certain people convicted of murder.

10. DaLincolnJones

way to busy hitting that fatty

11. The_Lillard_King

MNBC (I think) has done a great documentary on the legalization of mj in Colorado. Worth watching if the business side of legalized mj interest you.

12. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

We should legalize The Purge too!

13. The_Lillard_King

[video=youtube;ObxBPLqm9pk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObxBPLqm9pk[/video]

14. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    It's been a nightmare in Colorado. Tax revenues are a fraction of what they expected, while crime and driving while impaired numbers have dramatically increased. Our governor--who supported the measure--has said publicly if he had to do it again, he wouldn't have pushed for its legalization.

15. The_Lillard_King

Interesting to hear from someone who lives there (if I remember right).

Think the law will be repealed? The "documentary" gives a different picture . . .

16. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Yep. I live in Denver for most of the year.

Lots of car accidents from people driving stoned. The police haven't been able to come to an agreement on what driving while impaired means. People smoke it on the streets, whether there are kids around or not. People still buy it from dealers because it's cheaper. The only difference is now they don't have to hide their weed. Several corporations have told the governor they would not move to CO because of the legislation. Right now companies don't know what to do because while they can test for pot, they're not sure if they can fire someone who smokes it.

Bad planning and even worse execution. It's like the Oregon Country Fair around here. For sure, it will drive me out of Colorado.

17. DaLincolnJones

wow..I believe you Maxie..it is just that stories like this http://www.msnbc.com/all/does-marijuana-lower-the-crime-rate state otherwise. while stories like this http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23771049/slight-increase-crimes-near-medical-marijuana-dispensaries qualify crime and yet others like this https://news.vice.com/article/denve...ave-nothing-to-do-with-marijuana-legalization dispute results.

18. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Where is that statement by the governor? I'm seeing the opposite. Where do you see the fraction of tax expected? I always, again, see the opposite

19. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Only the Denver Post's story is news. As for the Vice article, they focus on murder and auto theft. Murder doesn't have anything to do with weed use. And auto theft is declining everywhere because of advances in automotive technology. It's declining everywhere.

Petty crime is way up. Vagrancy is way up. Stoned and disorderly is way up. Homelessness is way up. Overdoses are way up, because so much of the weed comes in edible form. It has been a net loss for Denver in specific because the increased police costs dedicated to dealing with marijuana far outweighs the tax revenue.

Oregon will pass it soon enough. Then you can all have the same experience we have here in Colorado. Enjoy.

20. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Hickenlooper has made the statement both publicly and privately many times. There's a large pro weed lobby here that includes many of the news outlets. How it was sold during the vote and how it has come out are two different things. We were promised much more tax revenue than we're getting. The numbers you're likely seeing are from the pro marijuana lobby who think a single dollar of tax revenue is manna from heaven. As Hickenlooper has told other states, if you're doing this for tax revenue, don't do it. It's a net loss.

Hickenlooper may very well lose to Beauprez simply on the basis of legalizing marijuana. He's actually trailing. That's a stunning development.