Is it time to legalize marijuana?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by DaLincolnJones, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I don't see any reason to outlaw it, nor any reason to regulate it.

I'm fine with a sin tax on it.

There's too long been a prohibition against it. With prohibition comes gangs and violent crime, just as in the '20s. All we've done is put lots of people in jail who aren't violent criminals.

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Agree with Denny here but Al Capone didn't go to jail for violent crimes, he went for not paying taxes. I haven't seen a lot of violent pot smokers forming gangs either. I'm for legalization but not because I fear potheads going through withdrawals in the streets.

3. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Currently a person can sue and get millions from tobacco companies when they smoke cigs that they knew, for a fact before they started, could cause cancer. People can also sue due to second hand smoke. When similar lawsuits begin against marijuana growers (brain disease, second hand smoke highs, gateway drug...) I wonder what will happen t the price of weed?

4. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

What planet do you live on/rock do you live under where you think people are winning lawsuits against big tobacco?
    Maybe 1/200,000 lawsuits wins

5. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    They're winning now.

They are now settled out of court.

6. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

No reason to regulate it?

Can smoke and drive? Can smoke in the a mall? kids can buy it? Can use pesticides to grow it and sell it?

7. The_Lillard_King

Yet when I walk into 7-11, safeway and costco there is a wall of cigarettes for sale. the biggest cost to the cigarette is the tax imposed by the state and feds. Lawsuits won't kill the industry

8. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Maxie how long have you lived in Colorado?

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Pot smokers aren't violent. The gangs that fight over turf to sell drugs are. Just like Capone's gang fought other gangs over turf to sell alcohol.

Make it legit and there's no turf to fight over.

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    That's not regulating it.

Deciding who can grow it and sell it and how it must be grown and sold is regulating it.

Roughly the same sorts of laws that apply to alcohol should apply to pot. DUI is DUI, etc. though you might not actually be under the influence even if some test says you have it in your bloodstream.

11. The_Lillard_King

Well call it what you want, the gov't should "control" or regulate the age in which you can buy it, where you allowed to use it, who is allowed to sell it and what you are allowed to do while it is in your system (can't drive).

12. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Downtown Denver since legalization.

[​IMG]

13. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

In the next photo all the drivers get out of their cars and forum a drum circle.

14. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Its not just Colorado, the MJ overdoses are happening all over the country. When will freedom take back over and save us from ourselves.

[video=youtube;d-iBJQFMvgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-iBJQFMvgo[/video]

DaLincolnJones likes this.
  15. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

Hmm at the most basic level, there are already laws that protect the public. The same laws that apply to alcohol apply to weed. To take this one step further, the production should be dealt with the same. Home growers should be treated the same as home brewers. When the en devour is taken to the commercial level, all of the same regulation should apply.

16. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

Oh for crying out loud, that has to be repped

: I think we are dead, time is going by really slow" HAhahahahahahhahahahahah

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  17. The_Lillard_King

Yes there are basic laws to protect public, like reckless driving. But then there are laws that just regulate use of alcohol, like DUII. Alcohol is highly regulated and weed should be too. Gov't really doesn't regulate coffee or soda or water. Anyone can buy as much coffee as they want. I wold hate to see someone on the road after 20 cups of coffee (or 20 pills of tylenol PM) but that by itself isn't illegal and is not regulated by the gov't.

IF you drink a certain amount of alcohol, effected by it or not or driving perfectly safe, you are not allowed to drive. Also they regulate who can buy it and where it can be consumed. Not true with most other substances. I suspect they will do the same with weed and they should, IMO

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    DUI isn't regulation. It's criminalization. You get arrested for DUI. You appear in front of a criminal court. You may end up in jail or prison.

19. The_Lillard_King

Well Denny however you want to label it.

What about regulating who can buy it, where you can drink it. Open container is not a crime, it's a violation. Can't end up in jail, not criminalization so what is it.

OLCC regulates alcohol sales and are allowed to either revoke license or charge crimes, like law enforcement, if establishments violate the regulations. Another example is if someone under 21 has any alcohol in their system they can lose their license but not be charges with a crime. So gov't controls use of alcohol with taking away business license or driver's icense or fines, all without it being a crime.

I think you are hung up on with semantics. Bottom line is gov't very heavily regulates use of alcohol, punishable by revocation of business license, driver's license or jail . . . and probably other forms of punishment I don't know about.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    You can't put a business in jail. Taking away its license is a death sentence. For violating the criminal code, not some regulation.

A regulation says "beer must be x% alcohol" or whatever. Or that liquor stores must close at 2AM.

They are usually created by politicians bought and paid for by some constituency. For example, a microbrewery can only sell so much beer (gallons, whatever) before regulations require them to sell their beer through a distributor. The distributors being the constituency that's bought the politicians.