Is it time to panic about CJ?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Nov 2, 2018.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

AND, they're largely our best players (so far). Weird.

2. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    CJ is a fine shooting guard, but nothing more. We give him way too much credit around here. Dame is special. CJ is simply what you should expect from a decent SG. That's all.

jlprk, oldmangrouch and tester551 like this.
  3. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

Ts% so far this year = .514. That's bad. His passing is bad. His defense is bad. He's making a truckload of money. Stauskas has been better than him this far. Heck, pretty much everyone has been better.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  4. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ok. What i meant was "His strengths don't outweigh his weakness enough to be considered a franchise cornerstone. He's a good player, not a great player."

For me, it's not even CJ's suprisingly poor start to the season. I've never been too fond of CJ's game.

Although, I do have to give him props for his D last night. There were 2-3 times I noticed him for making a smart/good play.

jlprk likes this.
  5. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think it is the topic of discussion. Should we panic? The answer is no because it is only 8 games. And in half of those games, (Houston, Indiana, SA, and Orlando, CJ was a huge contributor. He played well.

So no, just like we should not be to happy at being 6-2 and scoring 119 pts per game, we should not panic because CJ has had 4 good games, 3 bad games., and one against the Lakers where he started off slow and came through in the 4th.

6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Can you panic about one player and not be worried about the rest of the team?

Let's say that this isn't just a short term slump, if his numbers stay low, he could be damn near untradable with his contract. He's eating up a ton of cap space right now while being paid like an All-Star.

jlprk likes this.
  7. beast crnjo

The ability to score so many points doesn't necessarily mean you are "good". If you define goodness as contributing to team success.

tester551 likes this.
  8. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Go on...

9. beast crnjo

Will dumping cj be necessary to retain stauskas,layman,and baldwin? We could probably dump his salary for expirings.

10. beast crnjo

I think that if you're putting up a lot of shots but your ts% is worse than the team your on, you are probably dragging the team down with your performance. And scoring is all cj has ever had to hang his hat on.

jlprk likes this.
  11. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

CJ been up and down this year but like people it only 8 games. But we got more scorer this year so when he has a bad game we got other players to pick up the slack this year while in past years we couldn't.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  12. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Haven't read the thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned.

CJ obviously put on a lot of muscle in the offseason. This type of thing throws off your shooting. There will be an adjustment period, but I fully expect him to be fine after 30 games or so.

13. Pinwheel1

Sure. But that is not the topic of discussion or my point. I am not panicking about CJ because he has had some very good games so far this year. I don't care about the analytics of 8 games. What I see is the team is having no problem scoring...... while he is on the floor. But again that is just 8 games. None-the-less no I am not panicking.

Dame gets hurt for 20 games and we suffer big time. Dame gets hurt and we have no CJ, then we are twice as fucked......unless we can pull of some fantasy trade that brings us back a better player. Good luck with that. We always need more players who can create their own shot. Not less. Personally I think Simons could be one of those players but we are another year or two away from that. Who else on the roster can? Not saying CJ is perfect but he has a skill set that is needed.

HailBlazers likes this.
  14. Natebishop3

How is it not the topic of the discussion? Rasta's original post is only about CJ. It says nothing about the success of the team.

15. Pinwheel1

They go hand in hand. People were responding that CJ was hurting the team when he was on the court. I disagree, therefore I am not panicking, he has had 4 good games and has helped the team.

16. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
  17. Natebishop3

Well then you and aren't having the same discussion because I'm only talking about CJ. I specifically said that I don't think we should be panicking, but that CJ simply isn't playing well so far this season. We can debate whether or not you think that's true, but what I'm talking about has nothing to do with the overall success of the team. It does not equate into my point. Unless you want to circle it back to Rasta's point, which is that our new roster/system is hurting his game.

So I guess if your point is that CJ's success is irrelevant because we're 6-2, we can debate that topic as well.

18. Pinwheel1

This I agree with.

Looking back on the thread I was agreeing with another poster, I had no idea what you had posted and was not responding to you. For the record I don't think he is playing well, I just don't think he is playing bad enough for me personally to panic after only 8 games. I think he has been very inconsistent.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  19. beast crnjo

Cj for Wes Matthews works straight up. We all know what Wes brings. It would clear a lot of space, and we could probably resign Wes for a decent figure.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    tlongII likes this.
  20. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

Never been a fan of CJ. I would be all for trading him for a cheaper version, who plays more of a team game. CJ is more a black hole when he gets the ball. I understand he is a shooter, but he is just to inconsistent and I have always thought his is a better 6th man off the bench. I think many have a higher impression of CJ in Portland, then the rest of the NBA.

beast crnjo, jlprk and tester551 like this.