OT Is LeBron James already the greatest of all time?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, May 13, 2017.

1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I don't know about 3-5 years ago... He was definitely more 'ripped' than he is now. Still though that could just be attributed to a change in what he and his dietitians/physical trainers view as optimal for player efficiency and health.

LeBron pisses in a cup just like every other player in the league, and I don't believe that Silver gives LBJ a pass that he doesn't give to other players.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Fuck Lebron James.

3. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Lebron's first title was on a "super team" that he decided to join...and from what I remember, that group only won once. So that was actually not too impressive.

His victory last year over the Warriors was impressive. And if he can lead his team to a victory over the Warriors, with KD, I think it bumps him up a couple of notches, as far as his legacy.

4. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    They won twice, back to back. Sandwiched between Finals losses to Texas teams.

Orion Bailey and trailblazer18 like this.
  5. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    LeBron didn't join a Heat team that was already winning. Wade, LeBron, and Bosh all decided to take less money to come together and create a championship winning team. And they went to Finals four straight years, winning twice. What Durant has done is much different. He joined a team that won 73 games without him.

6. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Just a technicality, really. He joined a team that he knew was going to have two other superstars. There was no risk-taking, really. He wanted to win titles and, after constantly falling short with an awful Cleveland roster, ensured that he would.

7. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    They joined each other. Bosh and Wade could've gone elsewhere too. And they took less money. That's a risk right there. And championship teams usually need three superstars. Why blame him for wanting to win a title and putting together a team to do just that?

8. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

What team did Michael Jordan join to win his SIX rings?

BNM

9. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    That's not a risk, that's paying a price for something you want. Buying shoes costs you money, that doesn't make it a risk.

Tons of titles were won by teams like the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, San Antonio Spurs, etc--teams that didn't have three superstars.

I don't blame him. But it's deceptive to suggest that he was taking a risk joining the Heat because the Heat weren't champions at the time. He joined a ready-made championship team. That was the entire point. He left the Heat the moment he saw that they were declining away from championship-contention and joined a Cavs team that had one star and was willing to trade their top pick for a second star. James was clearly through with being a part of teams without enough talent and I don't blame him for that.

10. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    KG had Ray Allen and Paul Pierce (and Rondo) for 5 years and only won one title.

11. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Better then the Blazers have done.

12. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    He didn't need to join another team since he already had the best SF in the league that was one of the all time best wing defenders and some great roll players in Horace Grant and Bill Cartwright, and John Paxon his first time around and the second 3 peat he had an even better team around him. If your team puts the pieces around you, like OKC, and you dont' win thats one thing but the Cavs didn't do that with Lebron. Just look at the year after Jordan retired the first time the Bulls won 55 games and lost in the second round in a 7 game series where they had the infamous game 5 were pippen was PISSED he didn't get the last shot. The Cavs went from 61 wins to 19.

13. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Likely would have been two if not for a season-ending injury to Garnett in 2009. Two titles in five years would actually be ahead of the pace that Duncan won titles in San Antonio.

14. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    They also were up 3-2 in the conference finals vs the heat in 2012 but the big 3 just ran out of gas the last two games.

15. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Why not Muggsy Bogues or Spud Webb? They where the shortest players in the NBA.

16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    We didn't have KG, Ray Allen, and Pierce.

17. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Three time champs with Jordan. Out in second round without. That's a big drop off.

18. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    If LeBron goes on to beat Golden State again, I think you have to give it to him as best ever. To beat a team with 73 wins, and then beat it again the following year AFTER they add Durant, well, I love Jordan but there's just nothing comparable in his impressive list of achievements.

I'd also add that for as much shit as LeBron gets for attracting stars around him, Jordan had the best teammate in terms of talent and fit in Pippin, and Jordan had a far better coach. I'd also add that LeBron's varied career is another great example of his achievement. Jordan never made it to the Finals without Pippen or Phil Jackson, he never made it without a legit all-star second banana. LeBron did it with Mo Williams as his best teammate. He made the Finals on three entirely different rosters. Part of his greatness was just his amazing versatility.

It's a dubious comparison to say Jordan was 6-0 in the Finals while LeBron was "only" 3-4. Just in saying that you have to acknowledge that Jordan made it to the Finals one less time than LeBron--two less times if you count this year which seems a near-certainty. If LeBron finishes his career going 3-8 in the Finals, is that really a worse record? He'd have made it to the Finals 11 times, a truly stunning achievement. When's the last time Portland did it once?

LeBron is coming up on his 7th straight Finals run. That is just fucking insane. It'd been 50 years since somebody had gone 6 in a row before he did it last year.

As for scoring titles, no, he's not a match for Jordan's amazing season and game scoring binges, but if James goes on to break Kareem's all time points scored record, well, isn't that a pretty big deal too? He's 7th all time, and will almost certainly pass Jordan's total numbers.

I definitely think it's a fair comparison to make now. I think Jordan still has the edge, but it's a lot closer than I ever thought it'd be. Because LeBron entered the NBA so much younger (and was an absolute physical stud at 16) he has a chance to rack up a lot more stats, adding to his legacy.

19. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    The whole rings and 6-0 argument I never understood because it is generally used to devalue going to the finals because if a player went the finals and lost its now a mark against said player. Also if you want to bring rings up then isn't Bill Russell the GOAT and isn't even Robert Horry above Jordan as well since he has 7 rings?

20. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Jordan gets more credit because he led his teams offensively, not just in scoring, but was a top defender and playmaker as well. Only once in all of his 11 titles was Russell above 3rd in scoring on his own team. Defensive/rebounding monster that he was, he didn't "carry" his teams the way Jordan did.

Orion Bailey likes this.