OT Is LeBron James already the greatest of all time?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, May 13, 2017.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yes, because those who value championships are totally incapable of using common sense.

BNM

2. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I never said that, nor did I imply it.

3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Jordan, I think, gets so much credit because he is amazing and was the face of the league when it was blowing up nationally and its very easy to go look at his highlights, and the media as well as most fans have always valued offense more then defense. Jordan is the GOAT and I don't think he will ever be displaced because no matter what a player does the media will always bring something else up they have to do to equal Jordan.

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yeah, you did imply it by bringing up Robert Horry and suggesting he's "above" Jordan due to his seven rings. No one with a lick of common sense would ever make such a claim. So, why bring it up? It's a ridiculous strawman.

BNM

5. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I was pointing out why just looking at championships never made any sense to me. Using the 6-0 argument, Jordan never lost in the finals, devalues those who made the finals but didn't win the ring. Winning a ring is obviously the best thing you can do but a person shouldn't be punished because he made the finals but his team didn't win. Magics 5-4 record in the finals is more impressive to me then Jordans 6-0. You also can't just say Jordans 6 rings make him the best because Jordan is tied for 10th all time in rings won with the only person in the last 25 years to have more then him being Robert Horry.
    I'v seen way to many people use the 6-0 Jordan ring thing as the end all of discussions about who the GOAT is as if that just ends the conversation and I was pointing out why I disliked the use of that.

riverman likes this.
  6. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Interesting--people point out that it took Lebron 33 more playoff games than Jordan to pass him in all-time playoff scoring, but nobody is pointing out that he did it in 118 fewer shot attempts (or 41 fewer possessions if you use factor in free throws).

upload_2017-5-26_6-13-6.png

Everyone knows that Lebron is a better passer and rebounder than Jordan was, but it should also be pointed out that he's also a more efficient scorer.

Orion Bailey and PDXFonz like this.
  8. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

[​IMG]

BigGameDamian and SlyPokerDog like this.
  9. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

This is not much of an accomplishment given how shitty the EC has been for his entire career. I'm pretty sure you could replace LBJ's teams with a 7-man roster of RC2 posters and accomplish the same thing.

10. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    FIFY

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  11. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

If Lebron fucks the Warriors again, he will be my GOAT. How crazy would it be for a team as historically elite as the Warriors to get dicked over TWICE, almost single handedly, by one dude?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

comes down to this. If you had MJ and LBJ comiong out in this draft, with what we know now... who would you take?

99% of GMs would take LBJ.

Ill always be in MJ's camp. He knocked off so many great teams it was ridiculous, but raw physique and efficiency as @PtldPlatypus pointed out, puts LBJ ahead of Jordan. And that fact that LBJ has generally been considered the underdog, where Jordan 's Bulls were almost always the favorites.

LBJ would actually stand a slight chance at playing defense on Shaq. MJ would get swatted like a fly.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  13. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    If Chamberlain, Jordan, James and Abdul-Jabbar were all in this year's draft, knowing what we know now, who'd go first?

Tough call. I don't necessarily think era enters into this--players as gifted as Chamberlain and Abdul-Jabbar would dominate in any era, even a pace-and-space one.

14. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

look at 3 pointers made. That's one extra point, still counts as FG. Compare those two numbers and that stat doesn't seem as impressive

15. PtldPlatypus

But if you look closer, for both Jordan and Lebron their points-per-shot on 3's (L: .987, J: .996) is actually less than their points-per-shot on 2's (L: 1.054, J: 1.008). The fact that Lebron's taken so many more 3's than Jordan actually hurts his efficiency.

To be precise: with the same 4379 shots and assuming the same .328 on 3's and .527 on 2's, if Lebron had only shot the same 446 3's that Jordan had, that would leave 3933 2pFGA, on which he would have 2074 2pFGM, which combined with the 172 3s made and 1444 FTM would translate into 6108 points, or 113 more than he currently has (not even factoring in the additional free throws that 525 more 2PA would undoubtedly result in).

Another way to look at it--if 525 of Lebron's 3PA had actually been 2's, he would have had to shoot .484 (40 points below his 2P%) on those additional 2PA to currently be below Jordan.

And all that is still on 118 fewer shots. To have scored fewer points on the same number of shots, taking the same number of 3's, Lebron would have to shoot below 40% on the additional 2's for his efficiency to be below Jordan's.

Yeah--comparing the 3's doesn't make that stat seem as impressive; it makes it more impressive.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Cippy91 likes this.
  16. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Look, you guys are all idiots. You all know who the best basketball player of all time is. It's Lonzo Ball. I know that because his dad has said so, repeatedly. Geez, guys, pay attention.

17. Cippy91

well fuck I can't argue with the numbers because I am not gonna go through all that and check lol.

I still take Jordan over Bron.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  18. Cippy91

You thought lonzo was good?!?!? wait till Lamelo gets to the league...

Wizard Mentor and PtldPlatypus like this.
  19. PtldPlatypus

Nothing wrong with that; to each his own. Just had to support my side.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The Wizards ......they made sure he didn't get a seventh