Is Rudy already better than Ginobili?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by KingSpeed, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
  2. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    I don't think the Ginobili comparisons completely hold up. They have a similar build and court awareness, both are really bright, and both are pretty athletic for their unimpressive frames. But Ginobili has a much better handle and can dribble through traffic. Much more effective at attacking the rim off the dribble.

Fernandez is a cross between Ginobili and Ray Allen. Every time he shoots anything close to an open shot you just expect it to go in.

3. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    You're actually right. I hate it when people compare white players to white players as if they're the same and yet I just did it. "Gugliotta has a lot of Larry Bird in him" comes to mind. And now I'm perpetrating this stupid thinking. Booooo me!

4. C_note

C_note Active Member

Both Rudy and Ginobili have about a 40 inch vert or so I'd say.

5. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    I still think the closest comparison is Drazen Petrovic.

Rudy is a better shooter and passer than Manu, and these are huge elements to Rudy's game.

6. Iwatas

Iwatas Blazers Fan

Rudy is better than Petrovic; I saw a lot of Petro, and loved him -- he also moved beautifully without the ball, and had a gorgeous jumper. But he played no defense to speak of.

7. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

Not yet, but he is better at this age than Manu was... I have very little doubts that he will be better than Manu in due time, and he will be a top 5 SG in due time as well... Him and Roy on the same team should be competitive for one of the best 2 SGs on one team.

8. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Rudy has ice in his veins. The kid is not scared to take the big shot and expects to make it. The thing I really like about him is finding a way to contribute on the defensive end late in games. His quickness really surprised me.

Last night was the first night that I really thought he and Roy blended well together. Loved seeing Sergio in there during crunch time. Created some easy shots something Blake rarely does. You need your PG to make players better and Blake doesn't have that ability. I will give him credit for a clutch shot at the end of the game.

9. dpc

dpc BBF refugee

Got to go with Manu on this one... for now.

10. Foulzilla

Foulzilla No Blood, No Foul.

Nope. Next question.

11. mook

With Rudy, Roy and Outlaw/Aldridge out there, Sergio's lack of a perimeter shot isn't really that big of a detriment. When we go with that three guard lineup, it might make sense to use Sergio more as that third guard to facilitate between Rudy and Roy.

Sergio dominates the ball more, which is the last thing you'd think you want with two great perimeter scorers. But oddly enough it causes Roy to dominate the ball less, which balances out the attack.

This year it seems like when Roy has the ball at the top of the key, he's planning on scoring. He's good at it, so it still works most of the time. But it makes it easier for the defense to zero in.

When Sergio has the ball, nobody has any idea who is going to be the scorer. You know it probably won't be Sergio, but that still leaves 4 others to account for. And two of them are lethal shooting guards who only need a half step advantage to embarrass you.

12. mook

Funny, the more I think of it, Blake is sort of Roy's point guard. He hands him the ball at the top of the key and just gets out of the way, because that's what he always did when we were a bad team. (And let's face it, Blake just isn't that great of a distributor.)

Sergio is Rudy's point guard. No matter what Sergio is doing, you can see that he's always tracking Rudy to see if he's open for a quick jumper or lob.

Blake doesn't really work that well in a Rudy-led offense, because it forces Blake to be more of a creator. Sergio doesn't really work that well with Roy because Roy wants to control the ball.

13. BenDavis503x

BenDavis503x Suspended

14. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

Put it this way. I wouldn't trade Rudy for Manu.

They're both great players.

15. anonymous gambler

anonymous gambler Member

He's not better, but he will be. Eventually, the decision may have to be made between Roy and Rudy..

16. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Eventually may be coming soon, unless we can run Rudy at SF all the time like we do in the 4th quarter.

17. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Why can't we have them both on the floor like last night? Make the other team try to decide between Roy, Rudy, LaMarcus and Greg when he gets going. That's just a nightmare for opposing teams, and who cares who our fifth guy would be on the floor. Martell, Sergio, Blake, Travis, Frye, Bayless eventually maybe? Take your pick.

18. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    And, in fact, knowing it won't be Sergio doesn't help you, as the defense, much. You still have to occupy a defender with him, because A. without a defender, he can go to the hoop and score and B. you never want to leave a point guard able to pass without pressure. So, it's not even like you are just as well off putting a bad defender on him. Ideally, you still want a good defender on him to make his passing tougher.

So, it's a very tough situation. Good for Portland.

To be perfectly honest, I'm ready to just give Blake's minutes to Sergio. Sergio is showing that he's starting to get it and Blake really isn't good enough that you lose much even if Sergio isn't playing well. And Sergio's upside, in a game, totally dwarfs Blake's.

19. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Give it time and Rudy and Roy will be able to play off each other a little better. Like last nights shot that Blake took (should have been Rudy in corner). Roy is a clutch player but he has no problem passing the ball to the open player same for Rudy. Give it another couple of games and I think these two will be a deadly duo. Hard to argue with Roy taking control of the rock at the end of the game. The kid rarely makes a mistake and is fast becoming one of the toughest covers in the NBA. Everyone sends their best defender at him game after game and he still gets his 20 pts. I love that he's taking over the end of games ala Wade. Difference is Roy has lots more weapons to pass to, and just wait till Oden is on the floor.

20. MaxaMillion711

MaxaMillion711 ...?

Mixer
    you cant be serious.