Is Will Barton actually decent?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I think they'd be very similar to Nicolas Batum.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

While I agree that kind of production for a 6th man would be great, Barton actually started those last 5 games you listed from 4/10 - 4/17, 2013 and averaged 38 MPG in those 5 games. So, you're not going to see that kind of production out of him as a 6th man. You need to cut the numbers in half to get a more accurate assessment of his potential production as a 6th man, and even than it's a pretty small, skewed sample size. Those last 5 games last season (actually the last 13) were pretty much garbage time. We had pulled our starters and were in full tank mode. So, another reason those numbers aren't an accurate reflection of Barton's potential as a 6th man.

Don't get me wrong, I loved what Barton brought last night and would like to see more of it. I'm just pointing out that I wouldn't expect Barton to produce nearly as much playing 20 MPG off the bench as he did in 38 MPG last April as starter.

BNM

3. bemac

bemac Well-Known Member

Photographer
    The instant offense term is tough....I don't think it's the right term for Will. I think it's more about being aggressive, in a way that fires up the other players on the floor. The bench has not had an energy guy, other than Robinson for the one game. I think Will can be that on a more consistent basis, and if he is, I think we see more of it from the rest of the second unit. I think it also forces Mo to create more, and be less of a dribbler, as we saw last night.

4. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

The only block Barton the scorers gave him was on Blatche.

5. Boob-No-More

Agree, instant offense isn't correct. Instant chaos is more accurate. What he does best is change the tempo by forcing things at both ends of the court. Last night, New Jersey wanted to really force us to play a slow tempo, half-court style game. They succeeded in the 1st quarter. But in the second quarter, Will's frenetic play forced the tempo to pick up greatly, much to Portland's advantage. By changing the pace of the game from a plodding, low scoring half-court snoozefest onto a track meet let the Blazers run the much older, much bigger, much slower Nets out of the gym.

That's what Will Baton brings, the ability to increase the pace of the game by bringing energy at both ends. That's also why I think he fits well with Mo. Notice how productive Mo as last night. Mo likes to push the tempo, but he needs a running mate. Mo forcing a 1-3 or 1-4 fast break is a recipe for disaster. With Barton out there with him, against the old, slow Nets, we had a lot of 2-1, 2-0 and 3-1 fast breaks. His energy is contagious and a nice compliment to Mo's style Barton had a great game and Mo had a much more efficient game with fewer TOVs. He's a much better fit next to Mo than C.J. is.

BNM

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

He reminds me of Corey Brewer a bit. I like Barton. He's a long, athletic, slashing guard. He plays the passing lanes and he attacks the rim. We don't have a lot of players like that..... in fact...... he might be the only one.

I don't think he's a starter, but I think he's a solid backup.

7. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

i thought the thrill actually made mo look better. mo claver and will seem to have good chemistry. claver and will move without the ball and give mo a target rather than standing there watching him dribble.

8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me. We do tend to stand around the perimeter. Will on the other hand prefers to be under the basket.

9. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

Small sample size, but he seems to be improving. I cringe less with Barton on the court than I do with CJ and Wright.

10. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Even Wright isn't making me cry as much as he used to. CJ is rough but will get better. Will is thrilling in the sense that you must surrender control to unleash him, but he's been a force for good lately.

He's like the tasmanian devil out there... or Godzilla. Sometimes he destroys, sometimes he protects.

11. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I think it's telling that Claver and Barton are looking better now that Leonard and Robinson are out. In fact, Rice said something to that effect: spacing is so much better without those two boneheads.

12. Natebishop3

Leonard hardly ever played. I don't think we can blame him for anything.

13. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

He makes me cringe because of how many years he as been in the league and how he is still not doing the simple things. I expected a lot more out of him.

14. Pinwheel1

Wasn't he talking about Wright spacing the floor as a PF? Allowing Lillard more room to attack the basket?

Either way the spacing is better with Claver and Wright standing out at the 3 point line. But don't we want TRob under the basket when he is out there? There has to be a compromise. We don't want him to shoot out there yet we want him standing out there? That makes offensive rebounds tougher to get.

15. Natebishop3

I don't buy that argument though. LA plays on the perimeter too.

16. Pinwheel1

Yeah I questioned it myself for that very reason. I guess with all the pick and roll plays that LA and Damian do together the spacing is not quite as wide. If it really does help Lillard, maybe they can mix it up more and let LA drift out further. Just not too often.....

17. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

Floor spacing can come with off the ball movement, maybe just having energy guys with fresh legs running around is helping over 4 tired guys watching mo dribble

18. Boob-No-More

Of course we can. We can blame him for not being good enough to play more.

BNM

19. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  20. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I like Will. I was bummed when we kept him over Elliott. But that is why Neil is Neil and I'm the dude trying to portray him on teams internet forum.
    BTW, Love Wills interviews. He cracks me up.