Isn't Anyone Excited About Ryan Anderson?

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by ghoti, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Netted

Netted Member

Agreed, but the comment wasn't about what he can accomplish. Was a reference to being underrated coming into the league. Anyone that can lead a major conference like that and has those physical tools shouldn't be too underrated.

2. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

... or Ed O'Bannon.

-Petey

3. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

He was picked at #21, and no one expected him to be picked that high.

His college numbers mean nothing.

4. MFNetsFan

MFNetsFan Member

I honestly don't understand the hype about Anderson.

1. Laughable on ball defense. People saying his team defense is good doesn't matter when teams will just ISO against him. Jamison, Harrington and Amare all blew right by him for layups or fouls on the help defender.

2. He has no standing still vertical leap.
    The result? He can't finish inside AT ALL.
    He either gets stuffed (5 times already in 3 games by my count) or he leans/contorts to create space, resulting in an awkward shot.

3. Slow straight line AND lateral speed. Even for a 4.

Strengths:
    1) He can shoot from outside.
    2) He can dribble (but doesn't drive)
    3) He has a good BB IQ.

Sure it's only his first 3 NBA games, but I just don't see him as ever being more than a spread the floor PF off the bench.

5. Netted

Netted Member

Bullshit. They may not translate exactly, but a guy that does nothing in college is less likely to do anything in the NBA. He had some college success, which bodes well for potential NBA success.

He had some success playing competitive basketball, you can't say it means nothing. Of course it doesn't guarantee anything.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  6. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

Just college numbers. What do they mean right now?

7. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

Seems a little early to be this critical, but this same scouting report could easily have applied to Carlos Boozer - save the outside shooting of course.

8. Netted

Netted Member

It means the odds are better that he can achieve some success on the NBA level. That is all.

Someone that has had some success at competitive basketball has a better chance of success on the NBA level and the PAC 10 is highly competitive. But again, no guarantees... it's about odds.

9. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

Well, you are free to see them that way. However, as most of the people whose opinions are respected in these matters feel that he was drafted at a higher slot than he deserved, I would have to say that he was overrated by the Nets organization.

10. FOMW

FOMW Member

Why isn't it just as possible that he was undervalued by those others? In three games, he is playing about as well as you'd expect from any 20 year-old rookie seeing light minutes off the bench that was drafted late lottery or lower. I dare say he's outperforming some drafted much higher, especially if you look at productivity per minute. Obviously the sample size is way too small to draw conclusions either way, but if you're going to do it anyway, the Nets got it right and some other teams got it wrong.

11. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

Exactly!

As FOMW said, the sample size is small, but can you argue with averages of 8.3 PPG, 4.7 RPG, and only 1.3 TPG, while shooting 43% from 3, and 100% from FT? He's only 20 years old, and when you take into account that most players drafted 15 and higher do not amount to much, I think it's great!

12. Netted

Netted Member

The very definition of underrated.

Of course the Nets believed in him, but if everyone else thought he was selected where he deserved to be picked we wouldn't be having this conversation.

13. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

Hell, anythings possible. Is it possible he was overvalued by the Nets?

And whether he was under or over valued will be determined by his NBA play, not his college stats.

14. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Or maybe he was exactly valued! :O

15. FOMW

FOMW Member

I'm glad you are stating that now (and I agree), though that was not what you stated a few posts back. I was responding to your (invalid) assertion that because a majority of those whose opinions were respected had him ranked lower than where he was drafted, he was necessarily overvalued by the Nets.

16. ghoti

Let's stop talking about basketball and talk about semantics instead! Fun!

I've seen this guy play three games. I like him so far. That's it.

17. FOMW

FOMW Member

What the hell else are you supposed to do with two hours to kill before a game and a noted Vince-hater contradicting himself?

18. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

I used the word 'necessarily'?

19. ghoti

Jason Kidd gave us a lot of excitement and I loved those years, but the last five years have been so frustrating and the last two have been miserable.

It's so great to feel the Nets are getting better instead of worse. I'm really enjoying the possibilities for what the team will become.

And these are all good guys, too. The coach is a class act and the players are easy to root for. Even the two guys people complain about are not really bad guys. Swift is just quiet and easily frustrated and Sean is a goofball who isn't competitive enough. Big whoop! They don't even play!

So I like that Ryan Anderson looks like a real basketball player and won't be another Wright or Marcus Williams. It's exciting to me that a lot of good things are starting to happen again.

20. nets1

nets1 Member

I like the fact the he played in just 3 games and shows alot. I don't see his progress stopping at any point. He will be a major contributor to this team by years end, and will be viewed as one of the biggest steals in the draft. Anybody seen CDR lately?