It's not as good

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by The Professional Fan, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Blaz3rs

Blaz3rs New Member

Someone needs to start a petition to get these clowns ejected! McGowan is an idiot for firing Mike & Mike.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

OK I just went back and listened to the 4th quarter on the replay and listened for some of the comments people made. I really don't think Calabro is calling it like a radio broadcast. Maybe more so than Barrett, but overall I enjoyed his part. He showed a lot of emotion. Was it forced? Probably because he hasn't been here long enough to really be invested in the team or the city. I am guessing some of you are picking up on that compared to M & M.

Hurd talks more than Mike Rice did. So I can see where that would annoy some when you combine the two styles. But he did have some homer comments regarding the fouls. He might want to talk less, but what he said was articulate and made sense.

I think for the most part the main issue is....change. It will get better.

dviss1, Driew and Orion Bailey like this.
  3. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's just not as good. Especially Hurd, who seemed to randomly get over-excited at pretty standard plays, like he suddenly remembered to get excited for the Blazers and over-compensated.

For a lot of the second half I actually did something that's historically only been reserved for opposing team broadcasts and occasionally Reggie Miller. I muted it. The realization last night that this was permanent was pretty depressing. And for no reason, Mike and Mike were great.

Darkwebs and BBert like this.
  4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I have to say I often muted Mike and Mike too. Even though I liked them , there were times I had just couldn't take them. (i.e when we were behind)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    dviss1 and riverman like this.
  5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    This, this and this.

They were seriously getting on my nerves, especially in the first quarter. PLEASE don't fill every micro-second of air time with the sound of your voice(s). Not only is it not necessary, it distracts and detracts from the enjoyment of watching the game.

Calabro talks too much, and Hurd talks too much and tries to be too entertaining, without offering ANY useful insight. Dude if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything. I never thought I'd say this: But I'd rather have Michael Holton. His attempts at turning a clever phrase are generally dumb, but at least his basketball takes are smart.

Not pleased.

Darkwebs likes this.
  6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

A few years of drinking like a fish on the road with the team will make everything seem normal again

7. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    If this is how good they are in Game 1 of the regular season, I look forward to what is to come. I really liked some of the sayings, catch-phrases and language they both used. Calabro weaving in 'Dame Dolla' references and Hurd chiming in with the 'O'rena were fresh. Calabro with the "Davis spin cycles Diaw all the way back to France" was classic and certainly homerific enough for anyone.

What I also liked was that Calabro actually acknowledged that there was another team out there and that they occasionally made good plays. He did get excited on the throw down from Rodney Hood (I think) and rightly so because it was a monster facial that was an incredible play.

There were a couple of small hiccups but I expect that is just part of the initial learning curve. Rice was funny at times but Hurd gives actually strategy/breakdown commentary that is refreshing while being able to pronounce the names of the players. Rice's style was certainly endearing but I have no problem with the change and having Calabro come from a national spot to be the local voice is a big time coup.

dviss1, Orion Bailey and riverman like this.
  8. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

One game. It's not inconceivable that they might improve.

BNM

dviss1, TBpup, BBert and 2 others like this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This.....they also need to bond with the team which they haven't had the chance to really do yet

Pinwheel1, TBpup and Orion Bailey like this.
  10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Exactly. Let them all take a road trip together first and see how they gel and get to know each other.

11. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Like others have said, it distinctly sounded like Calabro was doing a radio broadcast, not a TV broadcast. If I wanted to listen to a radio broadcast of the game while watching it, I'd mute Calabro and listen to Wheels. If Calabro is going to continue to have diarrhea of the mouth, the Blazers should just go all the way and have Wheels do a simulcast. And hire a color commentator who has some interest in breaking down and analyzing the damn game.

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't get this at all Bert......I thought Hurd did a great job breaking down flare screens and plays...he just seemed to me to have had a bit too much coffee..nerves..he knows the game and in my view has a high hoops IQ

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The real difference is Hurd is a tenor and Rice was a baritone....

Orion Bailey and PtldPlatypus like this.
  14. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    These are all good points. One of my pet peeves is announcers who talk too damn much, and color commentators who don't offer useful insights. OK, that's two. ;)

:cheers:

15. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Overshadowed to me by him trying to be too entertaining. It's cool. As others have said, hopefully he'll settle down and get comfortable, and not feel like he has to try so hard.

:cheers:

16. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

I can't listen to Hurd all season, he sucks.
    Sounds like Urkel on speed.

SlyPokerDog and BBert like this.
  17. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Did Cababro call games for the Sonics? Who is the dude working with him now? What is his claim to fame?
    Is just Black enough to land the job? I can't relate to his comments or ups and downs.

18. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Someone compared Hurd to Nick Cannon, and I thought it was pretty apt.

Not a good look for Hurd.

SlyPokerDog, BBert and TBpup like this.
  19. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I'm sure when the Blazers made the opening they said "seeking candidate with moderate-high amount of melanin for announcing job."

20. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Is that all they wanted?