Politics It's The Economy, Stupid!

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by ABM, Dec 6, 2019.

1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    I remember a republican congressman saying no reason to raise wages as a person can simply just get another job and work 2 jobs. Do you not agree that 44% of workers making only $18k a year is horrible? I think they said that works out to $a little over $10 an hour. That isn't a living wage considering cost of housing, automobile expenses, food, insurance etc.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    yankeesince59 and riverman like this.
  2. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Wait, wait! During the 8 years of the Obama administration, after the country began to emerge from the Great Recession, unemployment dropped consistently every month. And the mantra on right wing media was the numbers were fake. Not simply that official unemployment statistics always undercount true unemployment, in boom or bust, Republican and Democratic administrations. No, the Bureau of Labor Statistics was corrupt, issuing fake numbers to make Obama look good. And the loudest proponent of this unproven allegation was one Donald Trump. He claimed, without evidence, that unemployment was 25%, 30%, even claimed 47%, nearly half the workforce. Even during the Great Depression of the 1930s unemployment was never that high.

But starting January 2017 all of a sudden the BLS statistics proved that Trump was doing everything right!

So my question, @ABM, was the BLS corrupt and lying during the Obama years, but the same personnel starting telling the truth after Trump was inaugurated? Or were they always telling the truth and Trump, Fox, etc. just making shit up for 8 years?

yankeesince59, CupWizier and riverman like this.
  3. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I would add that, since facts are whatever Trump says, even if he said the opposite the previous day, 67% of Republicans think unemployment increased during the Obama presidency.

riverman likes this.
  4. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    What I'm talking about, here, is if someone is working (as opposed to not working or on unemployment), they're certainly in a much better position to land a better job irrespective of the type of current job they're in. I guess kinda like renters. Those who are already renting a place, have a better chance of landing that nicer apartment or house, than someone who's never rented at all. I don't know if that's a solid analogy or not, but whatever. :)

Y'all can talk about low paying, etc. jobs all day long, but the fact that, every day, more and more people are working can't be thought of as anything but a good thing. Right? That said, I believe Trump's tax program has certainly been designed to help smaller business owner. Despite all the chatter about the atrocities of corporate America, etc., small business is still the major driving force in our economy. According to this report, small business owners still support Trump and his approach. I'm sure there could be other reports that say he's not doing enough for small business, so that's debatable.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/27/wil...p-has-strong-support-from-small-business.html

Here's a blurb from another interesting article from Real Clear Politics, which I consider to be a rather reputable, unbiased news source:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...t_takeaway_its_morning_in_america_141911.html

.....The headlines of the employment report deserve celebration, with 266,000 new jobs created last month, including 54,000 in manufacturing. But the details reveal even better news for the U.S. workforce. For example, the quality of the increases matches the quantity of new hires, as yearly earnings exceeded 3% growth for the 16th consecutive month, a mark seen in only three months, total, during the Obama years. In addition, those wage gains now flow overwhelmingly to workers previously left behind. For example, blue-collar wage growth exceeded white-collar wage growth; non-college grads outperformed those with degrees; and black incomes surpassed those of whites. The point here is not to engage in the divisiveness of liberal identity politics. All Americans presently enjoy robust wage growth. But it is also important to highlight the tangible benefits to groups that most needed a leg up on the economic ladder.

A key driver of the new dynamism in the labor market has been the revitalized small business sector. Hispanics, as the statistically most entrepreneurial demographic in America, benefit handsomely from the renewed zeal of start-ups. As Friday’s report detailed, the Latino jobless rate has been under 5% for 20 straight months. Prior to President Trump, there had only been one month ever of sub-5% Hispanic joblessness, back in 2006. But at last, tax and regulatory relief have unleashed the animal spirits of American strivers. No wonder a recent CNBC survey of small business owners found Trump’s approval rating at a new record high of 60%. In 2017, that same study showed only a +3% net approval/disapproval rating for the president. Now, the figure among small business owners has exploded to +20% in favor of the president.

Not surprisingly, this economic vitality is spurring record optimism, and right into the key Christmas shopping season. For example, the respected University of Michigan survey of consumer sentiment recently registered above 95.0 -- for the 30th month out of the last 35. For context, the last time that study showed such a sustained level of elevated enthusiasm was during the tech boom of the late 1990s.

All of this stout data flies in the face of the Democratic impeachment narrative that this president is somehow unfit for his position. Instead, the Trump Boom only validates his incredible acumen in fostering a thriving country -- in spite of the constant obstructionism of the Democratic House and their allies in corporate media. Once this sham, partisan impeachment inquest passes, as it surely will, imagine how much more can be accomplished to grow our prosperity if Congress actually focuses on practical policies, such as passing the USMCA? (CONTINUED...)

5. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Oh, I know what you were saying and I understand your point but I suppose my point was that stats can and often are, skewed.

6. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Indeed. :)

Hey, sorry about our Bulldogs last night. :( My guess is, OK will climb to 4. There's now an argument that LSU should be #1.

7. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Yup, and personally, I think that LSU and Clemson are the two best and the two most talented teams.

8. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    The problem is that nationally we are starting lower and lower down.
    And then there's the issue of there being less and less mid level jobs.